Hardware OLED vs LCD outdoors visibility

grey72

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm in the market for a Vita, and was curious how legible the two screens are in sunlight. I hear the OLED is pretty bad, but haven't seen anything definitive about the LCD.

Also I'm buying used, and have heard the OLED had artifacting issues and failed more easily, should I be concerned?

Reactions: leonmuse

leonmuse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Buy a VITA Slim, LCD, you won't regret it!

The charging port of the Vita offers better longevity for the cables and you can replace them easily, since they're the microUSB type. I bought one, second hand, and I'm pretty much satisfied.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Megadriver94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Both Vitas have screens that are rather large. The 2000, has internal memory and better analog sticks, while the 1000 has better quality screen and a proprietary but more robust charging cable. I'm not too sure about the claim that the OLED screen of the 1000 is more prone to failure, but I am convinced of the artifacting part.

grey72

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Both Vitas have screens that are rather large. The 2000, has internal memory and better analog sticks, while the 1000 has better quality screen and a proprietary but more robust charging cable. I'm not too sure about the claim that the OLED screen of the 1000 is more prone to failure, but I am convinced of the artifacting part.
I worded that poorly, I meant how bright is the screen under the sunlight, not the size of the screen haha.

Reactions: yuyuyup

Vinceherman

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
hmmm strange to see someone prefering the slim version, I have quite a few vita's and I much much prefer the OLED version over the slim, the slim just doesn't feel right in my hands whereas the OLED does. When comparing both Vita's side by side the OLED screen is far superior.

The only benefit to the slim version in my opinion is the battery life, but I never play away from home so a none issue for me. The internal memory is good for hacking if you don't own a memory card but thats about it.

As far as I am aware the issue with the OLED screens is when you get a black screen you will sometimes notice small black spots, to be honest it's not noticable when actually playing games.

Reactions: whateverg1012

j43728

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took the slim over the original because of the design, no proprietary cables, don't care about OLED on a handheld device and most importantly the Aqua Blue color

whateverg1012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have both, they are both equally as bad in sunlight, issue is that neither display can get bright enough outdoors like displays on modern phones.

If you had to go with one go with the OLED, much better build quality, and of course screen. A non-proprietary cable doesn't make up for the huge downgrade the screen on the LCD model has, you should play these games the best way possible.

Still have my OLED launch model and still no failure/artifacting issues you speak of, and I use it way too much.

If you're buying second-hand though, it really depends on how well the previous owner took care of it. In which case it might be a safer bet to get a LCD model just because those are newer and probably weren't as abused as the used OLED models. But you should be able to find a nice OLED if you look hard enough.

Hope you enjoy it!

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never played outside so I can't really tell if any type is superior when outside. However when not in such conditions, I'd vote for the OLED because that's what the Vita was known for, and that's what games have been designed for at Vita's launch. Gravity Rush is unplayable on a LCD screen in that inferno map.

Anyways, here are pics for you to try and judge by yourself. All at max brightness. Excuse the ghetto setup, that was the only place in my house where the sun directly hit a wall, and I was not going outside to take a picture of my Vitas lol, my neighbours would have wondered what I was doing.
First picture is "not particularly in sunlight". Second picture is "sunlight quite directly on the screens".

IMG_2962.JPG
IMG_2966.JPG
As I said, I still never really tried them outside, but from these tests/pictures, I'd say they're equally bad in terms of brightness in bright sunlight, but since the OLED has better contrast it still displays a better picture in such conditions.

Reactions: grey72

grey72

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I never played outside so I can't really tell if any type is superior when outside. However when not in such conditions, I'd vote for the OLED because that's what the Vita was known for, and that's what games have been designed for at Vita's launch. Gravity Rush is unplayable on a LCD screen in that inferno map.

Anyways, here are pics for you to try and judge by yourself. All at max brightness. Excuse the ghetto setup, that was the only place in my house where the sun directly hit a wall, and I was not going outside to take a picture of my Vitas lol, my neighbours would have wondered what I was doing.
First picture is "not particularly in sunlight". Second picture is "sunlight quite directly on the screens".

As I said, I still never really tried them outside, but from these tests/pictures, I'd say they're equally bad in terms of brightness in bright sunlight, but since the OLED has better contrast it still displays a better picture in such conditions.
Thanks a bunch, this was what I was looking for! I can't see any difference in the sun either so I'll try getting an OLED model.

foob

Trophies
XP
Country
The last gaming portable that was any good in sunlight was the Game Boy, in my opinion (the earliest models).

That is a real shame: man hasn't progressed well with sunlght-viewable displays. We are nowhere near the neighbourhood of good magazine-like legibility in the sun. If and when they master this and do it with low battery consumption and good refresh rates...oh man: portables / laptops will be radically revolutionised.

I can only speak of the OLED Vita, since that is all I have:
The OLED PSVITA is useless in direct sun. Even at max brightness. Like so many other gadgets. Furthermore, I want it to go dimmer than it is programmed to go at its dimmest setting. The dimmest setting is still too bright for me when looking at the screen in near-darkness. But I have this problem with many other gadgets.

I suspect it won't be much better with the slimmer revision but don't know.

JCR1

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
both are the same in sunlight, I have both models, but I prefer the slim, is more comfortable for play, the select, start and home buttons are easier to push, more battery duration, less weight, and has higher volume audio, on the screen the difference is small, the color are more intense on oled but the slim also has a beautiful colors.

Reactions: Garcimak

CTR640

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Excuse my language........HOLY %#&*$!@#&#$!!!!!!!!! The Slim version looks damn hideous! WTF was Sony smoking when they designed that ugly piece of shit?? It looks also too childish and retarded. YUCK! The whole front screen looks like it's a tempered glass screen protector, or did you place it? But damn it! The phat version looks way better and more slick and the OLED screen is really nice too.

And OP, I am not sure who said oled has some issues and fails more easily but one thing is for sure: only idiots who don't take care of their devices will talk shit like that. If a vita falls on the ground, wether it's the oled or lcd version, there is a chance it will have issues or artifacts. Even LCD can have these problems. My cousin had to repair an iCrap 7S Plus which has LCD. The owner dropped it and of course: artifacts.

Enkuler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Excuse my language........HOLY %#&*$!@#&#$!!!!!!!!! The Slim version looks damn hideous! WTF was Sony smoking when they designed that ugly piece of shit?? It looks also too childish and retarded. YUCK! The whole front screen looks like it's a tempered glass screen protector, or did you place it? But damn it! The phat version looks way better and more slick and the OLED screen is really nice too.
I actually added a tempered glass protector yeah, BUT the Slim Vita looks like that with or without a screen protector.
I think it's not so ridiculous when that outline is black on a non-black Vita, such as this one:
ps-vita-playstation-vita-new-slim-model-pch2000-metallic-red-492627.5.jpg
(or if it was black on my Vita, that works too).
But yeah, that white on white on my Vita looks dumb.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://gbatemp.net/threads/videos-not-working-on-certain-sites-w-ms-edge-browser.645937/