Tutorial OLED HWFLY Success! Be careful with that LCD Connector, How I replaced mine.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That $90 listing you speak of actually is the new Oled revision that's designed for these Oleds.
Don't get the overpriced ones that are just lite chips with v3 cables.
View attachment 291855
wow ,I wonder why the chip for the Oled is selling for like $60 less than the core and lite
I wonder if the core and lite chips will come down now too
or maybe the Oled is made by someone else?
Also I wonder if someone wanted to save $60 if they could adapt the Oled chip to work in a core or lite

if the Oled is being made by someone else maybe thy will start making core and lites too for cheaper?

Reactions: Jarmenti

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Modzvilleusa for the lazy, do you think you could provide links (shopping list) to all of the materials used? Specifically, I don't have whatever tool was used to scratch off one of the solder points, the solder mask, UV light, or the tape that was used. Actually, not sure I have any heat paste that isn't outdated (last time I used any was building my current PC, which has an i7 4790 in it...). Oh, and most importantly, the wire.

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

Good job on completing the mod, and nice that you got the replacement LCD connector working. But you can clearly see it has already taken a lot of heat. I don't agree with the used technique at all.

Removing the original connector at 350°C is Russian roulette for the game card reader right next to it. The low-melt you have should have been used to remove the original connector. Mix with leaded, then wick, then mix with low-melt. Then you can use e.g. 150°C to remove the connector. Keep in mind that these connectors were soldered in an oven with a lead-free process, so they should be able to withstand 200°C, but certainly not >300°C!
Anyway, no biggie since this connector is thrashed anyway, but if you ever want to remove a good connector from a donor, this is the way.

Then for soldering the new connector.. It is fine to drop some connectors onto molten solder pads like that, but only metal ones like USB or HDMI. Certainly not plastic ones! The process you should follow is to clean the pads, add leaded solder to one of the anchors. Use soldering iron to turn anchor blob liquid, then use tweezers to properly align the connector, then use leaded for all the pins with a precise tip. Done. If possible do it without additional flux (besides what's in the solder wire core), without drag soldering and in 1 go. If using flux, clean properly. Flux gets sticky, don't want that near your connector/cables.

Low-melt solder is NOT to be used for attaching new connectors. It's even more brittle than lead-free and can melt at temps as low as 57°C! Use leaded.

BeckysFootSlave

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you're out of luck, they're starting to get greedy and bumping up the price. RIP.

But I found it this morning!
Chip and cable (DAT0 and others (set)) for 128$ (free shipping)
Don't know if they're ok?!

But would also take the complete hwfly set for 163$ (sadly)

Just would like to know if the first one is good and if someone could recommend a good one!

gokuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
But I found it this morning!
Chip and cable (DAT0 and others (set)) for 128$ (free shipping)
Don't know if they're ok?!

But would also take the complete hwfly set for 163$ (sadly)

Just would like to know if the first one is good and if someone could recommend a good one!
yea they're slowly increasing the price. it was only $90 EVERYWHERE a few days ago. I bet it will get back to "normal" price by next week.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NeoGaming @ NeoGaming: but able for to sell it i had to unhomebrew it which was a pain