Hardware Older Wii Backups stopped working all of a sudden

zig2101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi,
I have an older wii that's at version 3.2U with a wiikey 1 at version 1.9s. Up until today I haven't had any major problems playing wii backups (burned on verbatim dvd-r's) A backup of New Super Mario Bros works fine using neogamma and I was playing backups of Call of Duty: World at War and Okami just a few days ago. I haven't made any system updates or any modifications recently and didn't play for a few days but all of sudden, I tried playing some backups today and the wii can't seem to read them any more. The preview for the wii game isn't even coming up anymore (getting a lot of disc read errors in the wii system menu and also the black screen error that asks you to turn off your wii)

After doing some tests on which games work and which don't, it seems that newer games that I've burned recently seem to still work like New Super Mario Bros, Punch-Out, and Dead Space Extraction.... but older games like Okami and Call of Duty, Metroid Prime 3, and Super Mario Galaxy don't work anymore.
My initial thought was that the dvd-r's went bad and are too old or something, but I discovered that most of the gamecube games that I burned long ago still seem to work fine.

Just putting this out there to see if anyone has encountered similar issues and if there's anything I should try before trying to update the firmware on the wiikey or upgrading the wii version 4?

Thanks all

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
must be media problem. why not re-burn one of the old games that were not running and see if it runs. i assume that it is just a backup and you still have the original or iso copy.

zig2101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Yeah, I made a new backup of Okami and it works fine. Looks like my verbatim dvds have an expiration date of about a year or two only and then the wii can't read them anymore.
thanks for your help

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
zig2101 said:
Yeah, I made a new backup of Okami and it works fine. Looks like my verbatim dvds have an expiration date of about a year or two only and then the wii can't read them anymore.
thanks for your help
Go and get yourself a Nintendo lens cleaning kit for around $10 saves opening the wii for what might be 1 dirty lens

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I remember an article a few years ago regarding cd-r dye and that it can fade and no longer be read maybe its the same with thos dvd-r you had or just a bad batch, monitor the discs if they start to stop working then switch brand perhaps, I did lose some discs back in the day but it was no biggey

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zig2101 said:
thanks for your help
i'm glad you pulled it off. it is still better to have an external hdd and dvd-r backups at the same time to avoid issues like this.

zig2101

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Cleaned the wii with the cleaning kit and it looks like the older backups are working again (so far).
thanks for the suggestion!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."