Older Pc...needs a DVD burner

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by iza, Feb 15, 2007.

Feb 15, 2007

Older Pc...needs a DVD burner by iza at 3:59 PM (1,365 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. iza
    OP

Member iza gbatemp, the new crack

United States
    okay, from what i've gathered by looking, the pioneer 111D is a decent DVD burner for my future wii backups(if you know of any cheaper, just as good ones, please post those too!). but i'm a noob when it comes to computer internals. okay, i have a pretty old pc. its a dell with windows xp, pretty low speed and only like 256megs of ram. but anyways, to the point; does any of this matter when i'm upgrading my cd-rw into a dvd-rw? and also, can anyone point me to a pretty detailed instruction or faq about installing an new internal drive?
    Thanks!!
    Isaiah
    btw...in the usa is a plus.

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    Replacing a drive is just a simple matter of opening the case, taking out the cables connected to the old drive, un-screwing the old drive and then swapping the drives over screwing it back in and replacing the cables. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver.

But being a Dell you might have an issue with the case being riveted shut.

3. iza
    OP

United States
    i dont think it's sealed shut, i've opened it before when i put in my wireless card in it, but i thought that was way simple, but from the sounds of it, so is the DVD drive (permitting i can get it out)...but the speed and memory of the computer shouldnt effect it right? i just have to burn on a very very low speed, correct?
    Thanks
    Isaiah

4. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    The PC speed doesn't determine burn speed. I think you're all set.

But you should burn game DVDs at lower speeds, because the Wii could have problems reading them otherwise.

5. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
  6. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    A lot of low end laptops have lower specs than that and still burn fine, hell some of the first writers I played with ran on my old 166MHz machine with 64 ram.
    Anyhow using a decent low demand app (imgburn is my favourite: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download ) and not doing anything else (this can be an issue on high spec amchines as well) during should make up for any low spec issues, low speeds with help with quality as well.

legendofphil is correct with the simplicity thing as well, once the case is off it can be all done comfortably in one minute.

edit: far too slow.

7. iza
    OP

United States
    yea, i've noticed on my machine if i'm burning a CD, i have to close uTorrent and all other apps or the buffer will overrun. (i have no clue what it means other than, it f*cked up!)

8. FuManChuu

Member FuManChuu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Buffer underruns aren't really caused by lack of ram or anything... its harddrive writing thats a no-no... So if you have a bunch of torrents going up and down itll trash your burn. Even a good PC can have read/write maxed out on a harddrive and trash the burn.

And on another sidenote - Pioneer 111D is wicked [​IMG]

9. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    DOn't all new CD/DVD writers have that BURN-Proof (Buffer UnderRuN - Proof) technology thingy? That's supposed to help defeat the evil buffer underrun problem (Ah, my old nemesis, buffer underrun. I've seen it last on my Yamaha CD burner... it was dual speed, and used a caddy... when the screen saver started, the burning would break... ahhh, good times [​IMG] )

10. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
  11. iza
    OP

United States
    i'm asking all the peeps in my tech department if they have a used one first.... if i can get one for $10, i'll be really happy. if not. $35 aint bad.
    soo... $40 for wiikey, 10(35) for DVD burner, 4 for triwing, 15 for soldering iron, and 20 for some dvds... soo.. about $90 (115 w/ new dvd burner) will be most everything i need to complete this right?

12. friedchicken

Member friedchicken GBAtemp Regular

United States
    www.pricegrabber.com damn no dvd-rw all these years?

13. iza
    OP

United States
    okay, sorry, but do i need one that writes dual layers? like i said, i'm a noob, and i dont know if this even matters or not...

14. Dirtie

Former Staff Dirtie :'D

New Zealand
    Pioneer might be the most popular, but there are other brands/models you should also consider, like the BenQ DW1655.

15. iza
    OP

United States
    hmm, cant even find the BenQ on newegg... the pioneer comes out to $37 after shipping... doesnt sound like a bad deal at all... and i can use the existing cables in my computer to hook it up right? i just dont want to have to make an extra trip to circuit city to buy some cables once i get ready to do it...

btw... i cant find the triwing in the usa, only on playasia.... (well, atleast on sites thats arent blocked by websense)... anyone know of a good reliable shop that i could maybe get it and a soldering iron, so i dont have to pay two shipping fee's?

16. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
    Yes, the existing cables will work.

17. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    Existing cables will work, but might not work as well as possible. You want an 80 wire IDE ribbon cable hooked up to your new burner. Many older computers have their CD/DVD drives hooked up through a 40 wire IDE cable.
    Here is a picture of the difference.

18. iza
    OP

United States
    is the black or the blue one 80?
    in one they look more protruded, and the other i cant really tell, it's kinda light...

19. Kyoji

Member Kyoji ウッーウッーウマ

United States
    The blue is an 80 count cable. If you are unsure about whats inside your case, just grab one off newegg. They are cheap.