Old Wii. Can I tell what has been done to update while preserving it?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CZroe, Mar 28, 2010.

1. CZroe
    OP

Member CZroe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    OK, I moved across the country in 2008 and left both of my Wii consoles with my twin brother, who took almost a year to send me one. I pretty much haven't used it in another 6 months due to having so much other stuff to catch up on.

The one he sent me was the one we primarily left at work for other people to use so, AFAIK, it hadn't been touched as far as updates and softmods. Softmods were only just getting big and I had either a home-made YAOSM or WiiKey clone in it (I can't recall because made both and installed them frequently), so I guess no one bothered. That said, my brother said that he thinks he installed a cIOS for some reason or another, though there is no softmod. It DOES still have "the homebrew channel." It may have BootMii installed (how do I know?).

Anyway, I just bought NSMB Wii with the black remote + Motion Plus bundle at Wal-Mart.com and I'd like to play it. Of course, the Wii needs an update. Before I do anything, I need to know what has been done and how to update while preserving it. Is there anything that can check and list the software modifications and such along with their versions (in case anything is out-dated)? Also, is there any readon to softmod a hard-modded Wii these days? If so, I'd like to get it fully updated with the latest softmods (haven't read up on these... they only started getting big after I left my Wii behind). Oh, and will softmods solve the problem with GH World Tour being screwy off a DVD-R (works fine off the original)? "Screwy" as in the notes are hard to hit because the timing is somehow off (NOT latency; I get 0ms when I test it). Probably because it's a WiiKey and it's streaming off the disc at 3x. Was that 3x WiiKey glitch ever fixed without downgrading?

A little help? Thanks!

2. CZroe
    OP

United States
    Oh... I forgot to mention: It's at 3.4U. The reason why I needed to make this thread is that all the softmod guides and such are from the perspective that it is a virgin Wii.

3. veganjustice

Newcomer veganjustice Advanced Member

United States
    What you should in all honesty do, follow the stickied guide at the top of this forum, even thought it is from a 'virgin wii' perspective, it will work just the same. Follow that entire guide, and then use PriiLoader to keep the game from wanting an update and you should be set.

4. CZroe
    OP

United States
    Will do. Thanks! Can I anticipate any problems with old cIOSes conflicting with anything and such? I wouldn't want to leave one installed somewhere that isn't used anymore only to have it bite me inthe future when Nintendo or somebody updates to detect it (if they haven't already). Perhaps I should just format and reinstall 3.4U first. Will that wipe any IOS changes? What about BootMii?

5. veganjustice

Newcomer veganjustice Advanced Member

United States
    Any newer cIOS you install will overwrite the older one that is on the Wii.

Just follow that guide, which will update to 4.2 and then you can proceed on modifying 4.2. That would just be the best. It will also walk you through installing BootMii. And by the age of the Wii, you should be able to install BootMii as boot2, which I highly recommend. And use PriiLoader Sytem Menu hacks to block game updates

Don't do any updates from Nintendo. It'll just cause headaches. Turn off auto updates and don't update from the disc.

6. CZroe
    OP

United States
    Thanks. I just remember that IOSes were jumping all over the place pack then due to Nintendo doing things like using the highest-numbered IOS or over-writing certain IOSes just to block and/or eliminate them.