Old Story Title that I'm trying to remember...

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by gizmo_gal, May 31, 2008.

May 31, 2008
  1. gizmo_gal
    OP

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    I'm sure that we were all avid readers at one point. Well it just so happens that I have'nt been able to read more than a couple hundred pages a week in months now which is highly unusual for me, but summers here and I'm trying to get back into the swing of reading, the best way I figured is to begin rereading some of the stories I loved as a kid, so I'm doing what I do best, making a list.

The story that I'm trying to find now, is I think of Asian/Arabian origin but I could be wrong, maybe the art work+character names, just seemed that way to me when I was kid....Anyway its about a Mean King who marries all the beautiful women in his kingdom for one day, then beheads them so that he can marry again.

One girl, who, as always, is very beautiful and secretly very clever, is forced to marry him when she reaches of age, but she is determined not to be killed, so the night they are married she tells him a story, a very good and enthralling story that catches the kings interest, but she doesn't finish it, so for the sake of the story, he lets her live another day.

Well she tells this fantastical and enthralling story a new part each night and every night she ends it in a cliff hanger, and the king is continually captivated by the story and always allows that she live for the next day. Well, before the kings knows its been about 2 or 3 years and ofcourse he's gotten to know her and she him. Turns out that they actually do like one another, so, to see if the king truly has some portion of good in him, the girl ends the story one night.

This next part could fudged in my memory, but...

The king cries the next morning because he knows that--according to his custom--she's to be killed, so--big surprise here folks [​IMG]--he lets her live. And some sort of way she's in love with this guy despite the dozens and dozens of young women that he's had axed off in exchange for a new wife and they live happily and rule justly and with kindness for many, many years.

Does anyone know the name of this story? If not, are you atleast familiar with some of the word in its title??

I never owned it as an actual book, but it was in this big text book of stories and reading exercises that I used to read back in 2nd and 3rd grade, when I read it aloud I remember liking it because I wanted to write a story that was so good people would want to listen to it everyday for a year too. I began making comic books in stead. (Yeah, I never stay on task [​IMG])

2. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    Godzilla?

3. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    No. King Kong

4. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Wasn't it an episode of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air?

EDIT: It's actually One Thousand and One Nights [​IMG]

5. mthrnite

Former Staff mthrnite So it goes.

United States
    The only kids book about beheading that I can remember (off the top of my head) is The Five Chinese Brothers.
    [​IMG]

..and they say videogames are bad for kids... feh!

6. gizmo_gal
    OP

United States
    Thats already on my list, and thats not what I'm thinking of.

hmm...maybe the women weren't beheaded, but I'm sure they were killed somehow--or maybe thrown in prison...It was an old book though.

7. BlueStar

United Kingdom
    Look a post above [​IMG]

8. gizmo_gal
    OP

United States
    THANK YOU!!!! [​IMG]

Sorry, my description wasn't very accurate, so that probably made it harder, but its been a long time since I read it [​IMG]

Thanks everyone!

9. moozxy

Member moozxy hamboning

United Kingdom
    No... I'm pretty sure it's either Godzilla or Jurrasic Park 3, have you read the synopsis to those? They're very similar to what you describe.

10. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    I'm suprised no one else got it earlier, thats a pretty accurate desciption the OP gave and i think its a great set of stories.
    I've actually read a couple in arabic and its great fun.

What happens at the 1001st night?

11. dawn.wan

Member dawn.wan GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    alladin dies

12. Man18

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Start retelling the stories in order... after almost 3 years who is going to remember?

Movie that was based on the book(well more of a made for tv movie/mini series).
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181199/

13. BlueStar

United Kingdom
    FFS, spoiler tags!!!1