Old school platformer coming to WiiU and 3DS through kickstarter

KTurbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Shovel knight is now confirmed to come for WiiU and 3DS if the succeed the pledge $75 000 on kickstarter. Everyone who back the project with atleast $15 will receive the game for the platform they prefer PC, 3DS or WiiU.

You asked for it. We wanted it. And now, we can finally say it! If funded, Shovel Knight will be coming to Wii U and 3DS!
Wii U and 3DS game codes will be made available to everyone who pledges $15 or more. Upon release, you can choose (1) which version of the game you prefer: Windows PC, Wii U, or 3DS!
Why isn’t the $10 pledge eligible? Developing and releasing console games is more expensive than doing so on Windows PC. We have costs like:
·We must pay for each Nintendo download code given out. This is the biggest reason.
·Developing awesome console specific features like the Wii U Gamepad and 3DS dual screen setup!
·Dev kits and certification requirements.
We are so completely excited to be developing for Nintendo! Because as an 8-bit style game, Nintendo is where Shovel Knight belongs. Now our heritage platform is secured. What platform could be next!?!?

Source: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight
---

I backed first with $10 as it was not confirmed for WiiU and 3DS. But now I changed it to $15. :)

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
I don't really do this kind of things since I don't have money to throw up to the roof. But backed already since it looks really amazing.

KTurbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion this is exactly the kind of indie/3rd party support WiiU needs. I'm really looking forward to this game. :)

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so now they're kickstarting shovelware?
stupidfaceh.jpg

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Looks like Mega Man mixed with Duck Tales mechanics, awesome! And of course, Virt is behind the music! :lol:
Sadly no word on layered 3D :C

So how do I back this up? If I pledge $15 will I get a European download code when/if they release it?

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like Mega Man mixed with Duck Tales mechanics, awesome! And of course, Virt is behind the music! :lol:

So how do I back this up? If I pledge $15 will I get a European download code when/if they release it?

So when Capcom sues them, do those who donated get sued for funding copy right infringement?

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
So when Capcom sues them, do those who donated get sued for funding copy right infringement?
Haha, no, borrowing a few elements isn't going to do anything and it's not like if Capcom never borrowed elements from other games either...

@lokomeko
You're the one who's boring, edit out that gif you're ruining the mood for the rest of us! :angry: Because no matter if you're interested in this or not, indy games are exactly some of the things the eShop needs. Anyway, this title already looks better than 90% of the kickstarter indy games out there, just the fact that they have the composer behind Mighty Switch Force puts it above other indy projects.

Good good kickstarters are not news.
This is news! It's a new eShop title, don't get me wrong when I say this but if the USN can have science news then why can't news related to actual game releases be here? :/
USN is the place to rise awareness, this is also the first time we've had a kickstarter for a Nintendo platform where pledging can give you an eShop download code. This is well worthy a USN thread.

KTurbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

From what I understand: Yes, you do get the code when it's released. As usual with Kickstarter they send out E-mails on progress and so forth.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
From what I understand: Yes, you do get the code when it's released. As usual with Kickstarter they send out E-mails on progress and so forth.
But I live in Sweden, US download codes don't work here, they must make a release for the EU eShop too and there's no word on that from what I've read.
There's a risk this could turn out being another US exclusive title like Cave Story+.

KTurbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
But I live in Sweden, US download codes don't work here, they must make a release for the EU eShop too and there's no word on that from what I've read.
There's a risk this could turn out being another US exclusive title like Cave Story+.
Good point, I'll send them a message asking

Reactions: Eerpow

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Gosh, I'd love to love this game! I'm not as sold on the style as I would be a few years ago, however.

This whole "8-bit" thing has, for the most part, gone from novel nostalgia to an overplayed homage, in my opinion. Lots of games simply use retro flare to mask lumpy, not-so-good gameplay. If Shovel Knight can let gameplay be the real star and not just use style as a crutch, I'll gladly give it a go!

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Gosh, I'd love to love this game! I'm not as sold on the style as I would be a few years ago, however.

This whole "8-bit" thing has, for the most part, gone from novel nostalgia to an overplayed homage, in my opinion. Lots of games simply use retro flare to mask lumpy, not-so-good gameplay. If Shovel Knight can let gameplay be the real star and not just use style as a crutch, I'll gladly give it a go!
Yeah, but something tells me they're putting all effort in it, I don't think Kaufman would be making the soundtrack to an indy game if he himself didn't think the game was any good, that's my guarantee at least.

Reactions: geoflcl and KTurbo

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the problem with kickstarter projects is you never know if their actually gonna be made or not.

But they don't take the money til the goal is actually meant. It's like a hold they place on your information til enough pledges are made. Once made they then take the money. Am I right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things