Old school Adventure (Lucas Arts) etc...?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by jonte511, Oct 15, 2009.

Oct 15, 2009
  1. jonte511
    OP

Newcomer jonte511 Member

Sweden
    I miss the joy of playing the old Lucas Arts adventure games like the Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango etc. [​IMG]

Maybe this is why I like the Professor Layton games so much, since they are very much the same...

Are there any good games in this genre for the DS that are recommendable?

Thanks!

2. sgwiiboy

Member sgwiiboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You could play Monkey Island, Sam and Max etc with ScummVM DS.

Broken Sword - Shadow Of The Templars is a classic with a few nice touches on DS. It's worth a play even if you played it on PC a million times like I have.

3. phoenixclaws

Member phoenixclaws GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There are a number of PC based adventure games being ported to the DS lately.

Syberia, Secret Files of Tunguska and Secret Files 2 - Puritas Cordis, Runaway, and a few others that I can't remember.
    Oh of course, the classic Myst game although it handles a little differently on the NDS =\.

Honestly if some of the old classic publishers took a chance they'd make a killing with adventure games on the NDS.

4. bindouga

Newcomer bindouga Newbie

Brazil
    one that i have played and enjoyed is "hotel dusk"... its old, but very good...

5. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Another Code (aka Trace Memory) if you haven't tried it already. Uses the DS in very creative ways.

6. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Well:
    Broken Sword - Shadow Of The Templars
    Runaway (there is a sequel coming out)

They're the only ones worth playing, there are loads others as there seems to be one a week released but they are poorly made. Aside from those you can also try the SCUMMVM program that'll let you play many oldies.

Also not quite the same there is the Phoenix Wright/Ace Attourney series and Hotel Dusk which are in the pointy clicky adventure but they're more detective than anything else.

There is also Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth coming out next year. Its more like a point and click of the old days then the other AA games.

7. jonte511
    OP

Newcomer jonte511 Member

Sweden
    Thank you very much for the tip on Broken Sword! Just finished playing it. A bit short but an excellent game! =)

Anyone know anything about the sequel? I've read that a sequel is coming but haven't found out when...

Will have a look at the others now [​IMG]

Thanks all!

8. Jeff88

Member Jeff88 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Syberia was very good when I played it on PC years ago.
    The DS one's might be worthwhile to check.

9. sgwiiboy

Member sgwiiboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I really don't understand why Lucasarts, Sierra etc have not ported some of the classic point and click adventures to the DS. I mean, the system is made for it.

10. Chrono_Tata

Member Chrono_Tata GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    You could get the sequels (there are 3) on the PC. Don't think they are gonna come out on the DS anytime soon.

In the second one they changed all the voice actors for everyone apart from the main character though. It was really distracting. [​IMG] It's a good game still.

11. jonte511
    OP

Newcomer jonte511 Member

Sweden
    I tried Runaway... Unfortunately it didn't work well on my Supercard. What card did you use?

Have also tried a couple of the other games suggested in the thread. Didn't really like any of them I'm afraid...

As for Syberia I have already played that on PC. Excellent game! [​IMG]

Have not tried ScummVM yet. Don't really understand how that works.... Is it some kind of emulator? Do I emulate the original game?

12. JesseB

Member JesseB GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The following link has all the info you need.

http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/

This page contains downloads of the latest build, a complete compatibility list, as well as instructions on how to install it onto your flashcard.

As a side note, many of the games that Scumm runs are considered "abandonware" and are legally free to download.

hope this helps. [​IMG]

13. jonte511
    OP

Newcomer jonte511 Member

Sweden
    Thanks for the info! Will give it a try! [​IMG]