PS1/2 Old PS3's a good deal?

thejakal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in a PS3. I have some PS2 games but no PS2 anymore, so I was thinking that backwards compatability might be worth getting a used one on ebay versus the new ones that can't play PS2. It's eBay, so the prices are scattered, but 60gb systems seem to go for $280 - 350.
Do the old ps3's have any issues that would make a used system not worth the savings? Were there any important HW/SW changes that are only in the new systems?

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don´t think it´s worth it especially since the backwards compatibility was crap (that is one reason why they took it out in the newer ones it simply wasn´t working as good as it should) and most likely you don´t have gurantee anymore

thejakal

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured it wouldn't be a perfect solution. But the 60gb says it had hardware emulation, versus the software emulation on other systems. Does that make any difference?

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, if you were to get a 60GB PS3 (NTSC of course) then it's the best (actually has all the hardware, with maybe a few glitches here and there), newer versions have taken OUT features (except adding larger HDs). If you were to get a larger 2.5" SATA HD though, you could replace the PS3 HD with that.

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah but the HW compatibility is still not almost 100% (games can have graphical errors and so).
In my opinion it´s better to get a real PS2.

PS: The newer PS3 don´t take out so much features
wink.gif

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Yep, when it comes to PS3's backwards compatibility, earlier is better. The first models came with most of the PS2's actual hardware, while later ones relied on iffy emulation. Both weren't without their problems, though.
Wikipedia will tell you all about it.
The whole thing kind of makes me wonder what the hell Sony is thinking sometimes.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trolly said:
There is evidence suggesting Sony are working on backwards compatibility currently, so I'd hold your horses for a bit.

yeah read and heard that too!

they have filed a PATENT for a better software Emotion Engine for ALL PS3's
smile.gif

SOOOOOOOOOOO FINGERS CROSSED!

MEANTIME as above get a 60gb it has the hardware to be backward compatible ...80gb's are software emulated!

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
Trolly said:
There is evidence suggesting Sony are working on backwards compatibility currently, so I'd hold your horses for a bit.

smile.gif

MEANTIME as above get a 60gb it has the hardware to be backward compatible ...80gb's are software emulated!
while I didn't read the patent or news closely, I'm hoping this could be released as a firmware update to current models, because I stupidly bought an 80gb with no backwards compatibility (then sold my ps2...). If this is only available for the newest models i'll be pissed all over again.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I dont think its worth getting a backwards compatible PS3 personally. The old PS3's are really expensive to buy now. You are better off just getting a regular PS3 and getting a cheap PS2 off ebay, they go for really cheap these days, plus you can mod the PS2 to play backups if you want.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jonny suave said:
kobykaan said:
Trolly said:

smile.gif

while I didn't read the patent or news closely, I'm hoping this could be released as a firmware update to current models, because I stupidly bought an 80gb with no backwards compatibility (then sold my ps2...). If this is only available for the newest models i'll be pissed all over again.
that would be awsome if they did that
right now I have a 160GB ps3, and a modded ps2
it would be nice to play some ps2 games upscaled to 1080p and such and virtual memory cards since like all 5 of my ps2 cards are full

I dont know how many 60GB PS3's are around now
but you probably have a better chance getting the 80GB MGS4 bundle for a lower price (and get a DS3 controller in the process)

CyberFish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to get a cheap PS2 and just use that, but the thought of more connections to the TV, another system, and wired controllers pissed me off. So I waited and got lucky on my 60 gig. I can now play all MGS games and other PS2 hits with the comfort of my wireless PS3 controller.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.