Old PC game

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by - Wrath of God -, Feb 14, 2007.

Feb 14, 2007

Old PC game by - Wrath of God - at 1:51 PM (1,458 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. - Wrath of God -
    OP

Member - Wrath of God - God

United States
    Now for the description.

It was an old puzzle game. I believe it was for the PC. It consisted of a screen full of squares. And some had arrows, and you could move those squares and you moved this... things.. can't remember what it was... and you had to get it to the end.

2. slightlyaskew

Member slightlyaskew GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    ...from your amazing description;

sokoban?

3. Jax

Member Jax Pip Pip Cheerioink!

Portugal
    I would say Sokoban too. It was one of my first DOS games.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. - Wrath of God -
    OP

United States
    No... that's definitely not it. It had better graphics, and the background was black. Some of the "squares" had arrows - some pointing in one direction, others pointing in two, and some pointing in all 4. You could move them by stepping on them, or you could do it "psychically"

Hope that helps, it's kinda hard to describe

Edit: Alawar games made a game like this some time ago. I can't find it, but I remember it had morph in the title

5. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
  6. - Wrath of God -
    OP

United States
    No... none of them.

Ok here's a representation of how it looked... sorta

[​IMG]

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  8. - Wrath of God -
    OP

United States
    *sigh*... I don't think that's quite it. As I remember it, the platforms were of a golden shade, and you could press space to stop controlling the character, move the cursor to a platform and then press space again to focus in on it. then you could press the direction that the platform could move in and it would move until it hit a wall. Then you would focus back in on the character and move wherever.

But this is definitely getting closer. I could be wrong about the platform, and if someone has any other platform ideas, please feel free to tell me.

9. Wanque

Member Wanque GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Do you remember what the character you controlled looked like?

I remember a game where you played a purple blob on the Amiga... it had similar boxes, but I doubt it's what you're looking for.

10. MajinGohan

Member MajinGohan GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    SokouBan? YES!
    I remember playing that game to death when my buddy┬┤s mom got herself a laptop. Man, that was like 10 years ago.... ah, the memories [​IMG].

11. - Wrath of God -
    OP

United States
    Unfortunately I don't [​IMG]
    I only remember what the environment looked like
    The playing field took up almost the whole screen, then there was a strip on the right side of the screen with score, etc.

The tiles were golden, and you had to collect something or other. The background was black, and I can't quite remember if it had stars in the background or no

12. Wanque

Member Wanque GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Well, the closest I've got is that Amiga game I mentioned, Blob.
    Some of the points fit, but I don't think it's what you're looking for, since you'd probably have remembered it being an Amiga game... and the fact that you play a big purple blob [​IMG]

Edit - wait, it's not 'The Continuing Adventures of CyberBox', is it? Website here.

13. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    This will obviously be wrong, but I own a game that plays identical to your description and your drawing there (funny that it's a black and white game too) matches. SD Lupin the 3rd. You move the character around on those boxes, the boxes have nothing, a 'switch' to reverse tiles, or those arrows you drew allowing movement only in that direction. In Lupin you run about, collect a key, then rob the joint while avoiding inspector zenigata or some other chump depending on the map you choose to do.

I'm highly positive the game maybe is based off the concept you are speaking of, but I know it can't be it unless you forgot you were using a very early GB emulator, a ROM, didn't know it, and had space mapped as one of the B or A buttons. [​IMG]

Here's the only pic I can find of the bloody game in action sadly:
    [​IMG]

14. - Wrath of God -
    OP

United States
    T_T no....

BTW, those arrows, if you step on an arrow pointing right, for example, and then press right, then the whole tile moves right with you on it until it hits a wall or another tile.

Or like I said you can press space to focus out, and move the tiles on their own

15. - Wrath of God -
    OP

United States
    I'm sorry to bring up such an old topic, but I want to resume my search for this game, and I thought it would be better to continue this, than start a new thread. I think the game is at least 12 years old. I still can't remember what the game was, or what the character you controlled was, but I remembered that the background was space like and had stars, and also the tiles were yellow/gold. I also found that Alawar remake. It was called Metamorphs.
    Here's a screenshot, and here is another one. And here is the site that I got the screenshots from. And here are a couple of download links. Hopefully, this time around someone will be able to help me.

And as always, thanks in advance.