1. catcoin

OP catcoin Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Hello,
    I recently dug up my old n3DSxl and it has double black screen and blue light when I power it on. It won't go into recovery mode.
    I got a new PC so I don't have the NAND backup or whatever it's called. However, I do have two SD cards with data on them:
    Green Joy-Con D-Pad Shells for Nintendo Switch

My fuzzy memory tells me that it bricked during an a9lh update/patch/install or something. Is there anything I can possibly do with this hunk of plastic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TurdPooCharger

United States
    KleinesSinchen likes this.
  3. catcoin

OP catcoin Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Thank you so much, I'll try this and get back to you.

4. catcoin

OP catcoin Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I tried the first method a bunch of times, but could not boot into anything. I'd be willing to buy a cartridge to try ntrboot method, but I'm kind of skeptical and uninformed on whether or not it is capable of unbricking my 3ds.
    If i cannot boot into anything at all (two black screens + continuous blue light), will inserting a flashcart do anything...? Is it an equal alternative to hardmodding?
    Also, I have a DSi on version 1.4U, but I don't know what version my 3DS was on when it bricked, so I'm not sure what flashcart I would even opt for.

5. susi91

susi91 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I see on your picture a file called sysNand_original.bin.
    Isn't that the orig. Nand backup file? ;)

6. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
    it should be his sysnand backup

7. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    ntrboot relies solely on the ARM9 boot ROM, which cannot be updated, so it does not matter what firmware your 3DS was using.

If ntrboot doesn't work, then it is quite possible that the hardware is physically defective.

8. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

yeah dont worry NTRboot can fix any bricked 3ds console regardless of firmware etc, as long as there isn't any hardware damage ntrboot can fix all, its pretty much impossible to brick a 3ds at this point where NTRboot can't recover it (thats not to say its 100% impossible, but short of purposeful malicious code to screw up the hardware, all failed CFW installs etc can be recovered)

just make sure your get a pre-flashed NTRboot flashcard or have access to another system to flash the NTRboot firmware to it

Last edited by gamesquest1, Aug 20, 2020
  9. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa GBAtemp Psycho!

Germany
  10. catcoin

OP catcoin Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks for all your help, everyone. I think I will try ntrboot. Since R4i Gold 3DS Plus is out of stock, is the R4isdhc GOLD Pro 2020 a good alternative? So far the only difference I see is that it has a timebomb which I would need to work around.

11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

look for a cart on this list to make sure its compatible, preferably one that comes pre-flashed
    https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot

12. Kwyjor

Canada
    As has been noted, you will need some way to flash it. The R4i Gold 3DS Plus has no such requirement.

13. catcoin

OP catcoin Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I guess I'll opt for the R4I-B9S then, but is it difficult to work around the timebomb? Since I can't change my 3DS system's clock (as it is bricked), will I have any complications?

14. Kwyjor

Canada
    Are you sure that's pre-flashed?

ntrboot does not care what your clock is set to. Timebombs are a concern when using the cart as a regular DS mode flashcart. (And even then, you can just use an alternative kernel like ysmenu.)

15. TurdPooCharger

United States
    The R4i-SDHC B9S is basically a R4i-SDHC 3DS RTS that has been preflashed with the ntrboot flashrom. (IMO) it's overpriced and doesn't have the benefit of a toggle switch like the R4i Gold 3DS Plus or Ace3DS X. It sucks he's paying the extra $2 because those other two have been out of stock for a long time and probably can't source/borrow another (o/n)(2/3)DS(i)(XL/LL)(phat/lite) to reflash other compatible carts.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - supposedly, bricked, n3DSXL