Old laptop taking forever to boot up

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a desperate measure to get my grandma this gift that I made her I fired up my dad's old laptop which runs Windows Vista so I can burn a disc that has a movie I made for her on it the laptop seems to boot fine as it shows the Microsoft Corporation logo when it first boots up but for about 10 minutes now it's been sitting at a black screen for ever if anyone can help me diagnose what's going on with this thing that would be great

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If a computer is taking along time to load there are many things that can cause that.
If the computer is as old as I think it is, my bet is a bad hard drive or system corruption or bad ram.
If you want to check the system over I suggest downloading the "Ultimate Boot CD" (UBCD) to help troubleshoot. You need to burn it to a CD or write the ISO to a USB flash drive.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
There is 2 tests I recommend you run. 1st is called Drive Fitness Test, you will need to change the drives mode in the bios to IDE or Compatibility for this old test to detect the drive.
Once in the program run an advanced test, its self explanatory. If the test completes with a big green screen, the issue is not the drive, if it completes and shows a big red screen, you got a bad drive.
If the drive is bad I'd say it not worth fixing such an old system. Set the drive mode back to what it was before you started.

The 2nd test I suggest you run is called Memtest x86. Once the test starts it will run forever. You only need to run it for 2 passes might take an hour or so. If no errors are displayed the memory is OK too.

If both tests pass I suggest you format the system with a fresh copy of vista if you have the ability to do so.
On a note Vista was killed of by M$ this past year (2017) and is not recommended to connect to the internet at all unless just for updates.

If you need help doing these tests post back.

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a computer is taking along time to load there are many things that can cause that.
If the computer is as old as I think it is, my bet is a bad hard drive or system corruption or bad ram.
If you want to check the system over I suggest downloading the "Ultimate Boot CD" (UBCD) to help troubleshoot. You need to burn it to a CD or write the ISO to a USB flash drive.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
There is 2 tests I recommend you run. 1st is called Drive Fitness Test, you will need to change the drives mode in the bios to IDE or Compatibility for this old test to detect the drive.
Once in the program run an advanced test, its self explanatory. If the test completes with a big green screen, the issue is not the drive, if it completes and shows a big red screen, you got a bad drive.
If the drive is bad I'd say it not worth fixing such an old system. Set the drive mode back to what it was before you started.

The 2nd test I suggest you run is called Memtest x86. Once the test starts it will run forever. You only need to run it for 2 passes might take an hour or so. If no errors are displayed the memory is OK too.

If both tests pass I suggest you format the system with a fresh copy of vista if you have the ability to do so.
On a note Vista was killed of by M$ this past year (2017) and is not recommended to connect to the internet at all unless just for updates.

If you need help doing these tests post back.
.... i happened to check.... my father did upgrade both the ram and HDD... so the parts may be younger than we think they are.... it computer gets to the microsoft orp logo with the green bar... then nothing so its like booting up just not all the way.......

Natsuru

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When did he upgrade them? Did he load the OS on the drive from the OS disk or did he clone the old drive over?
Did the computer work after he replaced the drive at one point? Do you want to do the diagnostics anyways to make sure or do you just want to wipe the system and start fresh?

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did he upgrade them? Did he load the OS on the drive from the OS disk or did he clone the old drive over?
Did the computer work after he replaced the drive at one point? Do you want to do the diagnostics anyways to make sure or do you just want to wipe the system and start fresh?
I was trying to make a gift for my grandma using windows dvd maker.... we all have won 10 PcS in the house

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)