1. schulbus

OP schulbus Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    Hello, i tried any word combination on Google but nothing really answered my question.

I know that it is not possible to push the older cartridges in the nds.
    but if i have a GBA compatible flashcard (no solution with slot 1 card!), can the NDS play the older not-advanced games, or is the missing functionality at the chipset/software level?

If this was already answered somewhere i would be happy to receive a link :)

have a nice week ^^

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo watching Thames TV from London

Italy
    You can if you break off the two tabs that block them ;) but they won't work (GB/C runs at 5 volts while a GBA works at 3,3 - and that's before the completely different rom headers and instruction sets)

You can play most GB/C games on a DS (using a GBA card in GBA mode with Goomba, or a DS card in DS mode with Lameboy), but:

1- it's of course software emulation (there's no GB/C processor in a DS or GB-Micro, and without the mechanical GBC/GBA switch in the card slot there would be no trivial way to activate it anyway)
    2- (but you could call it a corollary of 1-) it won't allow you to backup or directly run your GB/C originals

3. schulbus

OP schulbus Newbie
    Newcomer

Germany
    so if i put for example a gbc rom on the gba flashcard, it would not work on the nds. i mean, the roms probably don't care about voltages, but the headers/instruction sets make more sense.
    i guess the rom also wouldn't work with the GBA because you talked about a switch and different processors, is this correct?

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Some GBA flash carts have inbuilt emulators to run GB/GBC games. Others don't and you will need to build a copy of the emulator with the ROM in it (GBA flash carts/code technically have versions of code to read SD cards and such but few pieces of homebrew take advantage of it), indeed you might even want to do that with the inbuilt ones as well as they are not always the best versions for a given task.

Simply trying to launch a GB/GBC rom in GBA mode will not get you very far.

5. cracker

cracker Nyah!

United States
    You might want to just get a PSP, Vita, etc. for a better all-around emulation experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - flashcard, Nintendo, Gameboy