old FPS ports with new Wii remotes?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by boomerang42, Feb 1, 2014.

1. boomerang42
    OP

boomerang42 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2013
    United States
    I know I'm very late getting into Wii homebrew, but I hope I can get help with this.

I'm having a major problem where almost all the FPS ports I want to play (wolfenstein + spear of destiny, doom, heretic, hexen) are incompatible with my wiimote. Ironically I actually had an old wiimote but some of the buttons stopped working and now that I have a fully useable one again I'm very disappointed I can't play these.

I have looked into it enough to know that it's changes in the new wiimote that have broken some old wii homebrew, and they need to be recompiled to work with new remotes. I'm desperately hoping to avoid having to try to recompile them myself.

I'm hoping there must be someone out there who has already recompiled at least some of these for their own use. If so, would you be willing to share?

To be honest, I was kind of thinking it would be very useful if there were a thread where people could post recompiled (for new wiimotes) versions of homebrew, so that anyone could use old broken programs with new remotes without having to recompile things themselves. I don't think it would be an insult or stepping on the original author's toes for new unofficial releases to be made that work with new remotes.

Does anyone else think that's a good idea?

2. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    I'm sorry to inform you, but it seems that were FPS' are concerned, getting things just right has been something that only the commercial Wii releases have been able to deliver on. Seems that everyone else that attempts it falls short somehow or gives up. Quake used to work well for me back in the day, but after a certain release, the controls went from "almost there" to horrible. I've not tried the new Duke 3D, so maybe perhaps it finally got it down. I know PrBOOM is problematic (can't load pWads anymore anyhow), I don't think Quake II was ever entirely completed, and the same goes for what ever Heretic/Hexen ports are out there.

Last I talked to HyperEye, he had put the Wii port of Odamex (On-line zDOOM based DOOM engine) on the back burner because he couldn't get the Wiimote support down just right.

In the mean time, enjoy Metroid Trilogy.

3. nakata6790

nakata6790 True Player

Sep 17, 2009
    Greece
    I use both my white plain wiimote as well as my wiimotion+ black wimote (that came from wii sports resort bundle) just fine with the following homebrew fps ports:

Quake GX rev 0.4
    QRevPAK
    eduke32
    descent
    hereticwii
    HHEXEN
    spearofdestiny1_3_1_full_nofiles
    wolf3dwii1_3_shareware
    wiidoom

as well as Not64 IR mode for GoldenEye, Perfect Dark etc.

I can try to upload those homebrews here but WITHOUT the game files, you must find them yourself.