OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys!! I got a new laptop; it doesn't have a DVD drive
frown.gif

I had an old laptop that I just took apart so I got the DVD-RW reader / writer.
It is a DVD-ROM/CD-RW COMBO DRIVE by Quanta Storage Inc.
Oh and please give something like a USB because my laptop doesn't have too many other connecting ports; it's a netbook
smile.gif

EDIT: Model number is SBW-081

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Tanmay said:
frown.gif

Oh and please give something like a USB because my laptop doesn't have too many other connecting ports; it's a netbook
smile.gif

Are you trying to ask a question or asking for help, I dont understand what this thread is about. You have a laptop, you have a dvd drive, what is the problem???

Tanmay

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crass said:
Tanmay said:
frown.gif

smile.gif

sleep.gif
" How do I connect it to my dang laptop? XD

Are you trying to ask a question or asking for help, I dont understand what this thread is about. You have a laptop, you have a dvd drive, what is the problem???

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Tanmay said:
Crass said:
Tanmay said:
frown.gif

smile.gif

sleep.gif
" How do I connect it to my dang laptop? XD

Why did you put youre reply inside my quote bubble? Anyways if you have netbook I am going to assume that you probably wont be able to put an older and larger dvd drive in it without replace the one thats already inside. But I dont really know laptop/netbook hard that much as I am oldschool desktop guy. Anyways I dont think anyone will be able to help you without more information, like what model/brand of netbook you own.
But I am going to go out on a limb and say it probably isnt possible, laptops/netbooks are a pain in the ass in the regards.

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It would work if the DVD drive connected to your old laptop through USB, however USB is rarely, if ever, used for internal CD/DVD and hard drives (but it is used for internal bluetooth adapters and card readers usually). It would require quite a bit of hackery on your part to get them to work (unless laptops have started using standardized connectors for this sort of thing behind my back, then perhaps an SATA > USB or IDE > USB cable would work). Look at the drive you pulled out, it should have had two connectors going to the laptop, one for data and one for power, do either look like something easily pluggable into something else?

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Zharktas said:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21571

You can buy something like that, I did for connecting random hard drives and burners for a short time when I don't like to disassembly whole computer.
Got one of those myself. Pretty good for everything IDE/SATA. Shame it doesn't work for slim DVD drives (the laptop ones) as they have a JAE connector, so in this case is probably not useful.

Newer notebooks have SATA drives, but since he's talking of a "old" notebook, we can safely guess it's still a JAE one.

EDIT: Just checked the model. It's a JAE one. He can safely buy what I've linked in my previous post to have a fully functional external drive for cheap.

Tanmay

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Zharktas said:

You can buy something like that, I did for connecting random hard drives and burners for a short time when I don't like to disassembly whole computer.
Got one of those myself. Pretty good for everything IDE/SATA. Shame it doesn't work for slim DVD drives (the laptop ones) as they have a JAE connector, so in this case is probably not useful.

Newer notebooks have SATA drives, but since he's talking of a "old" notebook, we can safely guess it's still a JAE one.

EDIT: Just checked the model. It's a JAE one. He can safely buy what I've linked in my previous post to have a fully functional external drive for cheap.
:[ My laptop doesn't have a JAE connector. If there's a USB then it'll work :]

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tanmay said:
raulpica said:
Zharktas said:

:[ My laptop doesn't have a JAE connector. If there's a USB then it'll work :]
look at his first post in this thread, he linked a JAE to USB adapter on ebay

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JAE is what he is saying should be the connection type on the back of your DVD Drive. The drive fits into the adapter and then you hook a usb cable between the adapter and the new laptop.

That item in the Deal Extreme link is NOT what you need, that is for hard drives or desktop optical drives using ATA or SATA connections.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.