Hacking OLD 3DSXL Hardware Defect + Gateway3DS move to another OLD 3DS

Blitze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My OLD 3DS XL with Gateway3DS (10 Games.cia + 4 Games .3ds ) stopped working (hardware damaged).

Got myself another unmodified OLD 3DS XL the question is how do i
prevent myself from an midlife crisis and get my save files back ?

I'm quite sure i cant just install A9lh etc. put my SD Card in, throw my gateway card away and keep on playing right?
All i have is my Gateway card + Emunand(Gateway) + SD Card :GATEWAYNAND

Edit:

Firmware:
Hardware Defect 3DS: Sysnand 9.0.0-20 / Emunand(GATEWAY): 11.1.0-34
Replaced Unmodified 3DS: 9.6.0-24

Last edited by Blitze,

Kyousak

Also known as VVSKartell
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My OLD 3DS XL with Gateway3DS (10 Games.cia + 4 Games .3ds ) stopped working (hardware damaged).

Got myself another unmodified OLD 3DS XL the question is how do i
prevent myself from an midlife crisis and get my save files back ?

I'm quite sure i cant just install A9lh etc. put my SD Card in, throw my gateway card away and keep on playing right?
All i have is my Gateway card and modified SD Card named:GATEWAYNAND
What Firmware is the 3ds on

Blitze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hardware Defect 3DS: Sysnand 9.0.0-20 / Emunand(GATEWAY): 11.1.0-34

Replaced Unmodified 3DS: 9.6.0-24

Last edited by Blitze,

Blitze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I managed to downgrade my other ds to firmware 2. 1.0 with 3ds.guide next step I think would be how I manage to carry over my emunand / save files over to my other 3ds have no real clue what to do at this point:/

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I managed to downgrade my other ds to firmware 2. 1.0 with 3ds.guide next step I think would be how I manage to carry over my emunand / save files over to my other 3ds have no real clue what to do at this point:/
If your old 3DS is dead, I don't think there's any way to recover your saves, sorry.

If it's working, you can backup your saves with JKSM then restore them to the replacement 3DS.

Reactions: Quantumcat

Blitze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If your old 3DS is dead, I don't think there's any way to recover your saves, sorry.

If it's working, you can backup your saves with JKSM then restore them to the replacement 3DS.

Ah okay i didnt expect that and my emuNAND.bin wouldnt help me either ?
Is there actually no possible way to prevent data loss from these accidents?

Cuphat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CIA game saves are stored using console-specific encryption. There's no way to save them if the console is dead. To prevent losing saves in the future, back them up using JKSM (or another similar save data manager) as it backs up the saves in unencrypted form.

The Gateway games I assume should have their saves intact due to cartridge saves not being console unique, I believe.

Reactions: Quantumcat

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I used the redcard for 4 games and then moved over to bigbluemenu.cia
Games saved with gateway are stored on the sd card. They are encrypted with the game header and are working on any 3ds. You just have to use the same ROM to load them.
CIA saves are also stored on sd but are encrypted with per-console keys.
If you never dumped xorpads from your console (which can decrypt your emunand) and the console is broken it is impossible to restore the saves. Your Emunand-backup is useless because it is also encrypted with per-console keys. If you try to boot it with a different 3ds you'll get a black screen.

Greetings

Blitze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Games saved with gateway are stored on the sd card. They are encrypted with the game header and are working on any 3ds. You just have to use the same ROM to load them.
CIA saves are also stored on sd but are encrypted with per-console keys.
If you never dumped xorpads from your console (which can decrypt your emunand) and the console is broken it is impossible to restore the saves. Your Emunand-backup is useless because it is also encrypted with per-console keys. If you try to boot it with a different 3ds you'll get a black screen.

Greetings

xorpads thats something i never heard of i will read that up and try to repair my 3DS, it's possible just a ribbon cable defect so the mainboard should still work god bless all of you for your answers

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
xorpads thats something i never heard of i will read that up and try to repair my 3DS, it's possible just a ribbon cable defect so the mainboard should still work god bless all of you for your answers

If you get your mainboard working it will be easier just to use SDF/JKSM to export your save games. It will take only a minute. Xorpads are a last resort if your 3ds is beyond repair. This method requires a nand dump, xorpads, a working 3ds and a lot of knowledge to make a manual system transfer to get the saves on a different 3ds working again.

Blitze

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you get your mainboard working it will be easier just to use SDF/JKSM to export your save games. It will take only a minute. Xorpads are a last resort if your 3ds is beyond repair. This method requires a nand dump, xorpads, a working 3ds and a lot of knowledge to make a manual system transfer to get the saves on a different 3ds working again.

What about my Account/Friendlist etc. ?

Isn't this linked with my Nintendo Friend Code?

Last edited by Blitze,

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What about my Account/Friendlist etc. ?

Isn't this linked with my Nintendo Friend Code?

If your console is working again make a normal system transfer. Else you would have to call Nintendo to untie your account. Making a manual system transfer is probably beyond your knowledge and there doesn't exist a noob tutorial for it.

Reactions: Blitze

Zidapi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah okay i didnt expect that and my emuNAND.bin wouldnt help me either ?
Restoring the an emuNAND backup from the broken 3DS to the replacement 3DS will result in you bricking your replacement.

Perfect if you like expensive paperweights, but I assume you purchased it to play 3DS games on, so it isn't an ideal solution for you ;)

Is there actually no possible way to prevent data loss from these accidents?
Sure there is, and it's an obvious one! Make regular backups.

Backup regularly to your SD card using JKSM. These backups are decrypted, so they can be restored to any console should you encounter any issue that prevents your 3DS from booting.

You're going want to copy these backups to a PC and/or cloud service semi-regularly. That'll ensure your saves are safe should you your SD card ever become corrupted.

If I stop playing one game to focus on another, I'll usually use that as a good excuse to backup the save of the game I'm switching from.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse