OLD 3DSXL Hardware Defect + Gateway3DS move to another OLD 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Blitze, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Blitze
    OP

Blitze Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    Gambia, The
    My OLD 3DS XL with Gateway3DS (10 Games.cia + 4 Games .3ds ) stopped working (hardware damaged).

Got myself another unmodified OLD 3DS XL the question is how do i
    prevent myself from an midlife crisis and get my save files back ?

I'm quite sure i cant just install A9lh etc. put my SD Card in, throw my gateway card away and keep on playing right?
    All i have is my Gateway card + Emunand(Gateway) + SD Card :GATEWAYNAND

Edit:

Firmware:
    Hardware Defect 3DS: Sysnand 9.0.0-20 / Emunand(GATEWAY): 11.1.0-34
    Replaced Unmodified 3DS: 9.6.0-24

Last edited by Blitze, Mar 23, 2017
  2. Kyousak

Kyousak Aye Sir!

Nov 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    What Firmware is the 3ds on

3. Blitze
    OP

Blitze Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Hardware Defect 3DS: Sysnand 9.0.0-20 / Emunand(GATEWAY): 11.1.0-34

Replaced Unmodified 3DS: 9.6.0-24

Last edited by Blitze, Mar 19, 2017
  4. Kyousak

Kyousak Aye Sir!

Nov 1, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Use https://3ds.guide. But i dont know if you can use your old Emunand there

5. Blitze
    OP

Blitze Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    Gambia, The
    Thanks i found that Information already on the Sticky Thread.
    I think my problem is a little bit difficult because im still using this old Method with Gateway3DS.

E

Last edited by Blitze, Mar 20, 2017
  6. Blitze
    OP

Blitze Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    Gambia, The
    I managed to downgrade my other ds to firmware 2. 1.0 with 3ds.guide next step I think would be how I manage to carry over my emunand / save files over to my other 3ds have no real clue what to do at this point:/

7. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    If your old 3DS is dead, I don't think there's any way to recover your saves, sorry.

If it's working, you can backup your saves with JKSM then restore them to the replacement 3DS.

Quantumcat likes this.
  8. Blitze
    OP

Blitze Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    Gambia, The

Ah okay i didnt expect that and my emuNAND.bin wouldnt help me either ?
    Is there actually no possible way to prevent data loss from these accidents?

9. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Did you use the redcard or install cia's?

10. Blitze
    OP

Blitze Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    Gambia, The
    I used the redcard for 4 games and then moved over to bigbluemenu.cia

11. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    CIA game saves are stored using console-specific encryption. There's no way to save them if the console is dead. To prevent losing saves in the future, back them up using JKSM (or another similar save data manager) as it backs up the saves in unencrypted form.

The Gateway games I assume should have their saves intact due to cartridge saves not being console unique, I believe.

Quantumcat likes this.
  12. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Games saved with gateway are stored on the sd card. They are encrypted with the game header and are working on any 3ds. You just have to use the same ROM to load them.
    CIA saves are also stored on sd but are encrypted with per-console keys.
    If you never dumped xorpads from your console (which can decrypt your emunand) and the console is broken it is impossible to restore the saves. Your Emunand-backup is useless because it is also encrypted with per-console keys. If you try to boot it with a different 3ds you'll get a black screen.

Greetings

13. Blitze
    OP

Blitze Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    Gambia, The
    xorpads thats something i never heard of i will read that up and try to repair my 3DS, it's possible just a ribbon cable defect so the mainboard should still work god bless all of you for your answers

14. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    If you get your mainboard working it will be easier just to use SDF/JKSM to export your save games. It will take only a minute. Xorpads are a last resort if your 3ds is beyond repair. This method requires a nand dump, xorpads, a working 3ds and a lot of knowledge to make a manual system transfer to get the saves on a different 3ds working again.

15. Blitze
    OP

Blitze Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    Gambia, The
    What about my Account/Friendlist etc. ?

Isn't this linked with my Nintendo Friend Code?

16. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    If your console is working again make a normal system transfer. Else you would have to call Nintendo to untie your account. Making a manual system transfer is probably beyond your knowledge and there doesn't exist a noob tutorial for it.

Blitze likes this.
  17. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2002
    Restoring the an emuNAND backup from the broken 3DS to the replacement 3DS will result in you bricking your replacement.

Perfect if you like expensive paperweights, but I assume you purchased it to play 3DS games on, so it isn't an ideal solution for you ;)

Sure there is, and it's an obvious one! Make regular backups.

Backup regularly to your SD card using JKSM. These backups are decrypted, so they can be restored to any console should you encounter any issue that prevents your 3DS from booting.

You're going want to copy these backups to a PC and/or cloud service semi-regularly. That'll ensure your saves are safe should you your SD card ever become corrupted.

If I stop playing one game to focus on another, I'll usually use that as a good excuse to backup the save of the game I'm switching from.

squall14716, Quantumcat and Blitze like this.