Hacking old 3ds bricked unable to mount ctrnand or ctrnand firm please use a external one

matthewsmith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello my old 3ds recently was either formated or had its sd card wiped and i have been unable to get it to boot it was cfwed using al9h and updated to b9s its missing gm9 and hourglass and i am unable to get luma to boot it as it spits out the error unable to mount ctrnand or ctrnand firm please use a exteneral one fixing this issue is beyond my knowledge on the 3ds so any help is apprieacited its alo worth nothing that i would not boot without the sdcard before this occurred

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your Luma3DS is installed on the SD card, but you don't have a copy of it on the CTRNAND.

Failure to mount the CTRNAND error means it's a bricked firmware. Did you try region changing, downgrading, editing system titles like the HOME Menu, or were using EmuNAND by any chance?

matthewsmith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i found my 3ds and the sd card was entirely bland and the system refused to boot i resorted togother the latest version of b9s and luma i could find to get to that error screen since i couldnt think of anything else and some guides on the site said to do this

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

at first it was kicking out errors such as invalid launcher etc but now its just kicking out failure to mount ctrnand im not entirely certain what happened to the data saved on the system and the sd card but the card was blank my main priority was getting the 3ds past the black screen of death

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i found my 3ds and the sd card was entirely bland and the system refused to boot i resorted togother the latest version of b9s and luma i could find to get to that error screen since i couldnt think of anything else and some guides on the site said to do this

at first it was kicking out errors such as invalid launcher etc but now its just kicking out failure to mount ctrnand im not entirely certain what happened to the data saved on the system and the sd card but the card was blank my main priority was getting the 3ds past the black screen of death
Have you tried doing a CTRTransfer like I suggested?

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Normally,a ctrtransfer to 11.5 fix this problem, I use the payload Decrypt9 to perform a ctrtransfer,but before u do that,try the ctrtransfer with godmode9

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But if u are talking about that,maybe ur sd card corrupted

If done properly, tickets and whatnot can be preserved during a CTRTransfer.
Yes,know that,the gm9 have a script to do that action,I was talking about just the ctrtransfer,like,only that,I forgot to tell this

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@matthewsmith, before you use CTRTransfer,
  1. copy everything off the card onto a computer
  2. reformat it in FAT32 + 32 KB cluster size (Windows File Explorer -or- guiformat if bigger than 32 GB)
  3. full Write + Verify the empty card with H2testw
Data disappearing out of the blue would mean dying or fake SD card.

CTRTransfer done with a bad card can lead to further bricking.

Reactions: Quantumcat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whats your sd card brand?
Except for obvious looking fakes or counterfeits, judging the brand is not enough to go by these days.

For example, there are a lot of knockoff Sandisk and Samsung found on eBay that are very convincing when compared to the authentic versions.

Counterfeits are not limited to those two brands, but they're the most popular. Even popular online (ex, Amazon) and physical stores can be spiked with fake goods mixed in with the real stuff.

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Except for obvious looking fakes or counterfeits, judging the brand is not enough to go by these days.

For example, there are a lot of knockoff Sandisk and Samsung found on eBay that are very convincing when compared to the authentic versions.

Counterfeits are not limited to those two brands, but they're the most popular. Even popular online and physical stores can be spiked with fake goods mixed in with the real stuff.
It doesn't hurt to know
Just in case if its a off brand or something and it turns out to be a fake other people know to avoid it

matthewsmith

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tried to transfer and it came back with /dbs/ticket.db error cannot open destination file its spiting out cannont open errors for carts and more after that
ran several tests on the sd card and everything came back fine

Counterfeits are not limited to those two brands, but they're the most popular. Even popular online (ex, Amazon) and physical stores can be spiked with fake goods mixed in with the real stuff.
all tests came back fine on the sd card

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker