Old 3DS 9.9, not turning on/booting. (Will boot into Recovery Mode)

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by SuperScore29, Aug 19, 2015.

1. SuperScore29
    OP

SuperScore29 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    The store that sells the Ice Climbers amiibo
    Hey everyone. My friend has been having a problem with his 3DS where it will boot to a black screen, as if the console is in Sleep Mode. I have access to Recovery Mode and updated it to 9.9. Even after that, its still booting to a black screen.

On a side note, the 3DS is preowned and has been modded to have a Blue and Black shell. I'm thinking that either the 3DS died during an update(Though, it should've been fixed when I performed the update) or the NAND is is somehow damaged.

All help is appreciated.

Update: FIXED IT! Launched it into recovery to update(L+R+A+UP+Power On) then, I formatted the Home Menu(found this out by accident, L+R+X+UP+Power On), and then it booted back to the Home Menu, just like new! Nothing got formatted internally, all downloads were there, same FC, everything was there.

Last edited by SuperScore29, Aug 19, 2015
  2. ihaveamac

ihaveamac GBAtemp Guru

Apr 20, 2015
    United States
    Tigard, OR
    I would just like to add in that I had a similar situation. My old 3DS just died on me randomly, and it wasn't in the middle of an update. I kept it for a few months, updating it whenever a new update came out.

Eventually, I just sent it to Nintendo for a repair (although that may not be the best for you since you have some kind of mod on it). I got back a brand new system, meaning I also had to get a new friend code, but digital games and save files on the SD card could still be used.

3. SuperScore29
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    Nice to hear someone else has had this problem. I haven't had a single issue with my 3DS, I even downgraded it, modded it, nothing. I can't really give more details on how/when this happened since my friend just lended it to me.

4. SuperScore29
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    FIXED IT! Launched it into recovery to update(L+R+A+UP+Power On) then, I formatted the Home Menu(found this out by accident, L+R+X+UP+Power On), and then it booted back to the Home Menu, just like new! Nothing got formatted internally, all downloads were there, same FC, everything was there.

20mark likes this.