Oklahoma Lawmaker Proposes Tax on "Violent" Video Games

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Densetsu, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Densetsu
    OP

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    [​IMG]
    "I want to tax your violent games, as well as this game."

When the US Supreme Court decided last year to extend full First Amendment protections to video games, many likely thought that was the last word on potential legal assaults on the medium. That's not the case though, as an Oklahoma lawmaker has now proposed a special tax to be focused on "violent video games."

Democrat Will Fourkiller has introduced HB2696, proposing to add a one percent excise tax on all "violent video games." The text defines that term as "a video or computer game that has received a rating from the Entertainment Software Rating Board of Teen, Mature or Adult Only."

[​IMG] Source 1
    [​IMG] Source 2

If this proposal goes through, games like Skyrim, Star Wars: TOR, Zumba Fitness 2, Rock Band 3, and Dance Central 2 would also be taxed. Wut.

2. Potticus

Member Potticus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I'm ashamed to be an Oklahoman. Pardon me my fellow tempers.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

1 person likes this.
  3. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    What a joke. If you're going to tax video games, then you have to tax movies, music, books, and everything else for being violent. How can anybody take that guy seriously.

8 people like this.
  4. mjax

Member mjax GBAtemp Fan

Warning: Spoilers inside!

This is a terrible idea. I hope it doesn't get approved.

1 person likes this.
  5. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Let me tell yeah, Zumba Fitness 2 is one violent game. I had places that I didn't even know that can crack.
    /jk (No, I haven't played it for real.)

This is just stupid.
    I'm pretty sure there some kind of violence in the other rating as well.

6. Densetsu
    OP

Former Staff Densetsu Pubic Ninja

United States
    4 people like this.
  7. Ritsuki

Member Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Switzerland
    I love how they always forget the 2nd amendment... I'm pretty sure that the fact that people can get firearms easily and legally has more negative effects than violent video games...

8. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    I was tricked... Her bra did come off, but that damn Clover covered it too quickly... No fair. =(
    And I had to click so many times. T_T

On topic, I personally agree with this, well, not just this, but everything that contains violence should be taxed more... That way perhaps parents would think twice before buying a +18 or +16 game for their kids... Seriously... It pisses me off when I see kids playing games they shouldn't be playing at their age... It's really bad for them and shows irresponsability from the parents in most cases.

9. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Do some people just stay up at night and think of the best way they can make themselves look like a moron?

Seriously. This guy...what a moron.

2 people like this.
  10. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    The flipside to that is that what if the parent recognizes that their child is mature enough to realize that just because you can press a few buttons and an animated gun will fire in a game doesn't make it okay to do in real life? Once your child can realize that running off a cliff like Wyle. E. Coyote chasing the road runner isn't a good idea, they're taking a step in the right direction.

It's also the reason why a lot of parents who do let their kids play games like this ease the kids into the genre. Hell, I had a chat with a father while I was at work today about this very subject, and he had his son with him, who must have been no more than 7 or 8. The kid was getting a Turtle Beach headset, and I asked him what kind of games he plays. "Halo mostly" he said. I looked to the dad and said that that's a good choice of game, because it has a stronger dissociation from reality than other games like CoD, BF, and GTA because you're fighting aliens and mutant aliens. He agreed with me 100% and then went on to say he's amazed how violent some of the other games are. My little brother, who is 13 now and plays pretty much anything started the same way - around 6 or 7 he started playing Halo: Combat Evolved. He's since moved on to CoD, GTA, and BF, but still plays all the Halo games.

If you want them taxed, that's fine. But I sure as hell don't want to suffer because other parents are letting little 5 year old Jimmy run around stabbing hookers to death in GTA then blowing a cops head off with a shotgun 30 seconds later. Very similar to why (at least as a Verizon corporate rep told us) most wireless providers have moved to mandatory data packages on almost all of their phones - "Little Sarah is 10 and got her first phone and went and downloaded $300 worth of programs on her phone and now the parents are encountering recurring subscription fees as well as going data charges, and we are tired of saying 'Okay, we'll waive the fees this time ONLY'" all because the parents are fucking retards who need to pull their heads out of their asses. I didn't get my first phone till I was 17. My little brother won't get his till he is 17 either. Yet we still suffer for having to pay for mandatory data we don't use because other parents are fucking idiots.

If you can't be a responsible and reasonable parent, please, feel free to remove your gonads and spare us all another worthless swimmer in the gene pool we all reside in.

11. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    I understand that and not all games are bad in that sense, games that aren't directly connected with reality aren't that bad, like fantasy, sci-fi, etc... But the problem is that most parents nowadays don't even know what their kids are playing, they simply don't care... I have nothing against CoD games and the like, but the worst part is that most people I've seen playing those games are kids, CoD and other war like games are extremely realist for some kids to play, war itself is bad enough, but lots of kids are thinking it isn't that bad because of games, GTA also has some influence in some, it's all about how the kids themselves are raised and how the parents show concern with what they do or play.

12. Hells Malice

Canada
    Putting a tax on violent videogames wont make parents care.
    They're still going to buy little Billy the next CoD and a new headset so he can go yell at everyone over XBL in his high pitched little voice as he swears every second word.

3 people like this.
  13. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Nope.
    This will not get passed OR do anything to decrease non-violent games.
    What it will do is simply make the prices raised, non-violent games will go "oh these M rated games are still selling great at such high prices, lets raise our prices and earn more money!"
    And even if that doesn't happen, well almost every game is at least M rated except for those "fun family games"
    Parents will go "I don't know it's a bit more expensive now" (Which this guy is hoping for) but in reality, the kid is gonna cry for an hour saying his friends got it and the parents will be guilted into buying it.
    And games are expensive enough as it is, a brand new big title is usually $100-$150 in Australia now, I MEAN C'MON.
    Parents should just learn to sell/smash/burn/urinate/limit their kids XBOX when they start beating hookers to death on GTA, not complain :creep:

2 people like this.
  14. Hells Malice

Canada
    Jesus christ.
    Time to move.

15. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    Nahh i'm going to live in australia until we finally inhabit other planets or space.
    Judging by the speed of technological growth, it's not far away, I can just wait until my brain gets put it in a robot body and power off until they do so anyway.

On topic: Why the heck does he want to taxe a DS card game game?

16. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Look at this guy's face - he's obviously retarded.

He sees violence or gambling and immediatelly thinks those somehow affect the young mind. Probably never played a video game anyways, lol.

Good luck at making a tax that affects only some video games - it's stalling the industry and won't pass since it's non-equal treatment.

17. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Yay for price gouging for something completely absurd!

18. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Dr. Sheldon Cooper I presume? /jk

On Topic: Interesting idea, but how will they limit/regulate it? For example are some of the driving simulators violent if you get points for crashing into cars? NFS vs GTA? Bah go for it :P

19. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Probably because it's gambling.

20. InuYasha

Member InuYasha Professional Coke Fiend

United States
    More like it's another thing to nickel and dime people on...