ROM Hack Okiwi browser releases Alpha

Flozem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Introducing the alpha

After some good programming sessions, the alpha version is ready.

Some notes:

- The file can be unpacked directly to the root of the flashcard, that is, Okiwi directory must be just under the root.

- Inside this there's the fonts directory, which contains three TrueType font files for the different character families, and also those fonts prerendered at different sizes (*.okf) and some other which contains tables needed to associate character bitmaps with their Unicode codes (*.okm). The extensions stand for Okiwi Font and Okiwi Map, respectively. If these fieles are deleted, the software will generate them again from the TrueType fonts, so each one can use the typography he/she likes more. The included fonts are Bitstream Vera.

- By now the only way to move along the document is to drag it with the stylus.

- The only working buttons by the moment are: the first, which will allow in a future to enter an URL, and the last, which allows to set the zoom level.

- By misfortune, the other displaying mode I wanted to include, with a general view in a screen and a zoomed one in the other, isn't there yet.

- The icons have been designed by my brother. Actually, he has created some variants, but I've had to choose one of them. In future versions they will be able to be selected.

- As I said, DLDI is used. Released files are patched for SuperCard Lite. If you have another device, you'll have to use the patcher with the corresponding patch for your flashcart.I think this is a prosiming result.

By the way, thanks to Nintendo Users for hosting the file. The link will be changed one of these days, since, due to tecnical issues, it's not in its definitive hosting.

Source: http://okiwi.blogspot.com/
Download: http://profe-pokemon.ueuo.com/descargas/Okiwi-Alpha1.zip

Note: It does not yet connect to the internet, but it'll give an idea of what the browser will feature...

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, other than the fact that it doesn't do anything, it looks awesome. The interface is nice. Damn I wish it would just connect. Wouldn't that be like, one of the first thing's you'd include when making a web browser?

wastedyeti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait it doesn't connect to the internet? Geeze I thought that was what we were waiting for. I mean i don't need some cool interface just let me type the url and drag around the page.

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just an Alpha, it cannot actually load anything from the internet yet. It's just to show off the sexy interface, it's going to take him allot more work to get this done.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way I see it, unless these homebrew browsers (there are 2 that are being worked on, right?) are faster or more compatible with various net functions than the official DS browser, then they aren't worth my time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to troll or bash the homebrew browsers in any way and I hope they ARE faster and better than the official browser once finished, but I see no point in actually putting this on my flashcart when its main reason for existing isn't even implemented yet.....actual net access. I can just look at pics and get the idea of how it will be at this point.

I can't be the only one who thinks this way, am I?

skullstatue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I see what your saying. I guess he just released it to reassure that it's indeed real. I deleted it right after loading it up because I discovered it didn't really do anything for me. But still, work in progress releases are better than none at all.

wastedyeti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will Okiwi require additional slot 2 RAM? Or is it designed just for slot 1? I really want to surf the internet, but the US opera browser still isn't out is it? Also i really don't need gba support so i probably wont get a slot 2 card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1