elmoreas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The true difference between men and women is the 23rd chromosome. Whether it is an XX (Female) or XY (Male). That is it technically. Only half of one chromosome makes the up the whole difference between the sexes and all that comes with it. But I have known this for years, what blows my mind and what I just found out, is the significant difference between the XX and XY chromosomes complexities. The XX (Female) Chromosome is made of 1,846 genes with 154,913,754 bases of which 151,058,754 have been sequenced; BUT the XY (Male) Chromosome is only made of 454 genes with 57,741,652 bases and only 25,121,652 have been sequenced. That means men are roughly 1/4 as complex (454/1846) and only 1/10 as important to science (xx bases - xx seq bases / xy bases - xy seq bases) This is of course speaking genetically only, but still now I feel lesser somehow. I think I now have an Inferiority Complex.
wink.gif

P.S. This is about off topic as it gets hence why I chose this section and being science based and all I felt EOF/blog sections were not right even though I joke about myself; but if a mod reads this and disagrees please feel free to move it to whatever section you feel is best. This one was hard to figure out where to put.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Females don't use both X chromosomes, one is muted (after a certain point in development). The Y chromosome basically just tells the body that it's male (testes, etc). There are genes on the Y chromosome, but very few. XY isn't even the only system for sex determination; in some species, males have one X chromosome (XO) as opposed to the female's two (XX). There are others as well, but they tend to be too different to easily explain.

So basically, females having XX doesn't give them "more" of anything. That's a limited understanding of genetics and you shouldn't try to propagate it
lecture.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
You're disregarding the remaining 44 chromosomes in your complexity calculations but since those are the same in both sexes I suppose they can be taken either way. But if it makes you feel any worse, a horse has 64 chromosomes, a chicken 78, and a carp has 100, and a fir tree has 480. So of course you should have an inferiority complex, you simpleton
wink.gif

elmoreas

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome

@Anne Noise: I was being sarcastic and exclaiming about the difference in complexity

@SylvWolf: I am being ironical and scarcastic to start off, also I am perfectly aware of the 46/48 XX/XO(O) as well as asexual reproduction methods. I am also aware that what I am citing is the difference between one X and one Y not the combination of XX and XY. Also I am not spewing some random crap this is hard scientific numbers, check source. I was merely adding a ironic/comedic commentary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: