Hacking Okay I've narrowed down my options to four.

Decooter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way just to let you know, I have a 3DS and both acekard and Supercard DSTWO and the difference in the amount of battery they use is not very noticeable at all. Especially since you'll mostly be playing DS roms, in which case they use the same (or nearly the same) amount of battery to do so. The only time the DSTWO uses more battery is when it's emulating SNES or GBA, in which case the 3DS battery life goes down from like ~5 hours to ~4 1/4 hours (playing DS roms, of course the battery life is lower while playing 3DS games)

It's not a big deal.

Also get Nyko Power Pak for your 3DS, ups the battery life to around ~8 hours (~6 if youre playing 3DS games).

Jae

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for all the helpful information on the capacity and everything else!! I definitely don't have easy access to any DS unless I bought a used version off eBay. It's nice to know that most retailers will pre flash it with the latest firmware. I just need to settle on where to go shopping so far I've been recommended to two sites on this thread. If anyone else has any input to where they got theirs I'd love to know!

Tigger, I don't think that fluttering my eyelids on the forums will lead me anywhere! lol. All the guys I know are well.. dumb. My ex fiance was the only one that was into the same kinda stuff I was which is probably why I got along so well with him. He definitely won't do it for me now since he has nothing more to take from me. So yeah fluttering eyelids sounds like a simple option except it'd get me nowhere in this scenario. It is pretty funny though! ^^

Decooter, Thank you for the side by side comparison! That definitely makes me side more with the DSTwo just so I have the option of playing GBA, etc if I ever felt like it without having to buy a whole new flash cart. I'll definitely look into the Nyko Power Pak for my 3DS when I start shopping for the flash cart and memory card.

Thank you thank you!!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Terminator02 said:
U could easily fit over 100 games in an 8 gb, storage won't be a problem unless you load a lot of music on there too.

depends on what you want to carry with you. a full scummvmds set will fill 8gb. i have 3 8gb cards filled with different homebrew, emulation, and rom sets. i have another 4 gb with some nds games. i even had a 2gb filled with just dsdoom IWADs.

again, it all comes down to what you want with you and how much of it.

-another world

durpy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you're interested in gba/snes emulation, dstwo. i went ahead and got an acekard because if i want to play gba/snes i have a psp (which i prefer anyway) for that although i don't ever play emulated games. mostly have them on "for the hell of it/just in case" moments.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Acekard 2i (with a slot-2 expansion) is great. Cheap too.
The DStwo has quick fixes, every feature you could want, but it's expensive and the emulators, though good, aren't brilliant.
The iEvo can run in DSi Mode. That's about it, it's really expensive, and not really worth it at all.
The iSmartMM can run Dingux which has a lot of (sub-par) emulators.

Jae

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for all your inputs! As more comments are made it looks like I may be better off with the DSTwo. At the same time I'm half considering trying out Acekard 2i and if it isn't what I'm looking for then moving over to DSTwo.

As far as memory cards go I've decided to start out with either two 4GB or one 8GB and expand from there. I guess it'll depend on what I can find for a decent price when I go shopping.

Thank you everyone!

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Evo.lve said:
The Acekard 2i (with a slot-2 expansion) is great. Cheap too.
-snip-
Not only directed at you Evo.lve, but many in this thread say the same thing... Use a slot-2 expansion with the Acekard... Last time I checked, the 3DS didn't have a slot-2
wink.gif

QUOTE(Jae @ Aug 16 2011, 03:40 PM) Thank you for all your inputs! As more comments are made it looks like I may be better off with the DSTwo. At the same time I'm half considering trying out Acekard 2i and if it isn't what I'm looking for then moving over to DSTwo.

As far as memory cards go I've decided to start out with either two 4GB or one 8GB and expand from there. I guess it'll depend on what I can find for a decent price when I go shopping.

Thank you everyone!

I'd recommend two 4GB cards... I feel that the larger the memory cards become, the more prone to breaking they are. In my experience! I'm not saying that it is so, but for me it has been. Also, it would feel much better for you if one out of two memory cards become corrupted (Things can happen), and to only lose half is way better than losing it all.
However, I got to say, All my roms and saves have been safe on my 8 GB card, even though it corrupts like once a week. only DSTWO system files have been corrupted.

tiggerlator

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using a samsung 8gb card, and have lost all my saves at least once.

Remember to back up your game saves regularly Jae.
smile.gif

Jae

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That makes a lot of sense I'll definitely do that Issac thank you!

Tigger, you can tag me as retarded.. but I'm still new to all of this since I never handled any of this stuff before.. what do you mean back up my game saves regularly? How would I do that?

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Jae said:
Tigger, you can tag me as retarded.. but I'm still new to all of this since I never handled any of this stuff before.. what do you mean back up my game saves regularly? How would I do that?
By back up, we mean that you regularly copy important/most/all files to a separate place for safe keeping just in case "shit happens". That place can be a usb memory key, your computer's harddrive, an external harddrive, wherever...as long as it isn't in the same place as your original files (fat lot of help your backed up files are going to help you if you put them on the same microSD as the originals and then your microSD breaks).

Jae

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohhh.. so that's what he was doing when he tinkered with my stuff every once in a while. I had no idea! Okay I guess I'll have to learn how to do that too. I have lots of usb flash drives and external hd's laying around so that shouldn't be a problem as soon as I learn how to.

This is all so overwhelming and I haven't even started! Thank you for the in depth explanation!

Valzi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jae, I'd like to reinforce what you're thinking just a bit. I haven't used anything other than the DSTwo, but I'm very happy with it. Everything is simple and easy and it works very well. I found it worth the extra money, for the increased hombrew/emulator ability alone.

Also, I have nearly everything I want on mine on an 8gb microSD card. Good luck!

Jae

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tigger, you're bad! lol

Valzi thank you for your input! I'm definitely siding with the DSTwo and I'll go with two 4GB cards. I just now need to learn how to get all my games onto the sd cards, back ups, etc. Not to mention finding a good vendor. I think I'll go to leetmod but not 100% sure yet. =)

Thank you everyone I really appreciate everyones help and I apologize for my stupidity!

Jae

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just wait I haven't hit the highest point of stupidity yet. It's coming though you'll see soon enough!

LOL tigger.. does this mean that me fluttering my eyelids at you would work?
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs