okay..I've modded my psp..now what?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by claudekennilol, Sep 21, 2008.

Sep 21, 2008
  1. claudekennilol
    OP

Member claudekennilol GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Okay, I made a pandora's battery, I made a magic memory stick. Now my PSP is 3.71 M33-2.. So now what? All of the dozens of tuts I've seen only pointed me that far. Now that I've done that, what can I do, and how do I do it?

2. Cresh07

Newcomer Cresh07 Advanced Member

United States
  3. claudekennilol
    OP

United States
    are there newer versions of this custom firmware? or should I leave it at 3.71 M33-2?

4. Cresh07

United States
    There are newer versions, I believe the most up to date version is 4.01 m33-2

5. claudekennilol
    OP

United States
    ok thanks. last question of the hour, is there any reason not to update it to the most recent version?

6. Cresh07

United States
    uh, if you use the popsloader (see the guide in the link above for information about that) then i don't believe there is a real reason for you not to upgrade, the only exception is for some homebrew that require fireware 1.5, but there's an app called timemachine for that.

7. claudekennilol
    OP

United States
    Okay, thanks, I'm not too into homebrew apps, as I'm planning on using this just for my psx games.

8. Cresh07

United States
    if that's the case then you definately need to read up on the popsloader, the entire purpose of that is to run psx games that only work on certain firmwares.

9. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You've modded your PSP, now you play every game you played growing up ever. [​IMG] That's all I use my PSP for. Of course, N64 emulation isn't anything to shout about, but everything up to PSX is fantastic.

EDIT: Yes, you NEED POPSLoader if you are going to be using it for PSX emulation mostly. Many games require a certain firmware in order to play correctly, POPSloader allows you to choose which version of the PSX emulator you want to use when you first boot up the game. There's a good handful of games that don't quite run right on certain firmwares such as FFVII and Chrono Cross. http://www.gamerspress.com/index.php?title...patibility_List

10. claudekennilol
    OP

United States
    You can update your PSP to the latest custom firmware by using the Network Update option in the Settings menu. Yes, this has now been hacked to install the latest custom firmware, instead of retrieving the latest official firmware from Sony!

Okay, that's what the guide said.. but when I did that, when it got to the part about where you have to read it before you accept yada yada, the license agreement thing still said it was coming from SCE.. So does the Network Update option not work for this custom firmware? Is there another way to update it?

is it okay to re-format my memory card now that the custom firmware is on it? and is this custom firmware the CFW that I've seen--or is that something else?

11. Seyiji

Member Seyiji Rawr :3

United States
    You need 3.80 M33-2 before you can use the network updater.

12. claudekennilol
    OP

United States
    what about reformatting my memory card? Is it okay to reformat it after the custom firmware is installed?

13. Jasonage

Member Jasonage GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yep, as its installed on to your psp. Or you could just delete the update file in the GAME folder