Okami Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by sfunk, Oct 18, 2007.

1. sfunk
    OP

sfunk GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2002
    Canada
    Ottawa
    According to Kotaku Okami for the Wii has been confirmed! I have never actually played the game but I have only heard good things so I'm definitely looking forward to this one.

2. Maikel Steneker

Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Me too. I hope the controls will be as good as the remake of RE4! I never played the game, but it seems to be good.

3. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    Capcom seem to be doing very well with the Wii controls so lets hope this on going rumour is true, should do a lot better than the PS2 game as us Nintendo fanboys know a good game when we see one.

4. cenotaph

cenotaph GBAtemp Fan

Oct 24, 2006
    United States
    Guess I'll finally get to play this then. I wouldn't bother with a PS2 game these days (because my PS2 is wonky) unless it's something very special.

5. kernelPANIC

kernelPANIC GBAtemp Fan

Nov 20, 2005
    Madrid
    Eurogamer is also confirming the release for the Wii. I have this game for PS2 but I haven't played it yet. I might wait for this Wii version if it turns out that the Wii controls suit it better.

6. TaMs

TaMs Randomizer

Nov 15, 2006
    Finland
    wow. never playes ps2 version, but surely will try wii version.

7. CockroachMan

CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Jan 14, 2006
    Brazil
    Brazil
    I never had a PS2 so I was thinking about get a PS3, so I could play PS3 games and also the PS2 classics..

But if things keep going that way.. a Wii will be enough for that [​IMG]

8. Warm Woolly Shee

Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2006
    United States
    Butt City, FA rt
    "I hope you all enjoyed the PS2 test run - Okami is finally coming home."

9. xflash

xflash Local Ninja

Oct 21, 2004
    Norway
    am i the only one here that has played the ps2 version (beat it and loved it by the way) but i thought clover studios (or something like that) went bankrupt/closed shortly after making this game

10. Warm Woolly Shee

Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 14, 2006
    United States
    Butt City, FA rt
    It's true, they went bankrupt. PS2 owners didn't support Okami at all, it was a flop. let's hope Wii owners treat this classic better.

11. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I'm sure it was after making God Hand that they closed up. Anyways, if this is just going to be a port of the PS2 version, it wouldn't need the original Clover Studio to port it. Kinda makes me glad I didn't get past the tutorial on the PS2 version so I can at least try and finish it this time.

12. Hadrian

Hadrian Better than Craigslist

Former Staff
    Oct 12, 2004
    Played and completed it, an extremely enjoyable game but it just didn't feel right playing it on a Sony console.

13. WK416

WK416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2004
    United States
    Ah, this is good news to me. I've wanted to play that pretty game since I saw the first videos, but I lack a PS2. [​IMG]

14. Samutz

Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

Oct 4, 2004
    United States
    See that hole in your wall?
    I loved the PS2 version. I will gladly buy this one, even if it's a remake.
    This is good news for my buddy too. He's wanted to play it but doesn't have a PS2, but does have a Wii.

15. BoneMonkey

BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

Banned
    Dec 9, 2006
    United States
    USA
    oooooooooo imagine using the wii controller to draw ? wow !

16. MC DUI

MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 30, 2003
    Newcastle, Australia
    Okami was a great game so it's great that more people will get to play it now.

Should have some good uses for the Wiimote to.

17. cubin'

cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 12, 2007
    Excellent [​IMG] Haven't gotten around to playing it so this is good news.

I've heard it's a bit like Zelda?

18. Remy669

Remy669 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 27, 2007
    Netherlands
    Like, the painting in Okami was just MADE for the Wii [​IMG]

19. Samutz

Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

Oct 4, 2004
    United States
    See that hole in your wall?
    Yes. Somewhat.
    It's an action adventure. Has a lot of Zelda-like upgrades (hearts, more inkpots, bigger wallet, etc). Has several dungeons that play like Zelda. Lots of side quests.

However one thing that's different is the combat. I really don't know how to explain it well, so here's a youtube video:

As you can see, you usually fight in a small arena type area. From the world map you enter one of these arenas by running into a tall, floating demon scroll, that chase you some times. Or by entering a demon gate like shown at the beginning of the video. Sometimes a story event triggers the battle too. At the end of the fight you get a ranking based on your speed and damage done. Doing the faster and harder you put down your enemies, the more bonus cash you'll receive.

However, the boss battles are much more Zelda-like, whereas your arena is in a much larger dungeon room, using your powers in certain ways that allow you access the boss's weak spot to do the real damage.