Ok, so here is my new video card adventure...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Osaka, Oct 2, 2007.

Oct 2, 2007
  1. Osaka
    OP

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well, I got a BFG GeForce 8600 GTS OC video card only to find out that my case is a "slim" case, and the video card wont fit. I was pretty upset, but because the video card was so cheap, I decided to try and fix this problem by prying off the part that makes it so a taller one cant be put in (the bus slot was the correct one, my case was just too small.)

after that, I plugged it in only to find out that my power supply isn't high enough... so I search the Internet for a solution to this. I find a guide on how to use a 2nd power supply so you could have that just to power something that takes more power than what you have. so... I bridge two of the wires on the power supply so when I flipped on the power supplys switch, it would turn on whether or not the computer was on.

all of this worked fine... the card fit now AND it had power.... but I just couldn't get any video to turn on... so I gave up on all of this and put it back to how it was and now im going to just buy a new power supply and a new case...

BTW, I didn't mess anything up besides a little metal tab that didn't REALLY do anything.

Do you guys think im crazy? im not very patient so I like to try and get things to work the second I buy/get it... it was fun though, even though it didnt work

2. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Yeah you're fairly crazy, very lucky you didn't lose the videocard or something else. Getting a new case that includes a decent power supply might be a cheaper way to do things. At least it was a good learning experience [​IMG]

3. Osaka
    OP

Member Osaka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yes, I did learn a few things. and I was beign very carefull not to mess anything up... but no one ever messes anything up on purpose... no one sane at least