Ok I am older than most of you and out of date HELP!

Discussion in 'The Edge of the Forum' started by elmoreas, Sep 25, 2010.

1. elmoreas
    OP

Member elmoreas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ok I am older my priorities changed for a while and I lost touch with most things modern, guess that happens once you have been out of college for 7+ years. So I need some help catching up please, so here goes:

1. What is IRC and how do I do it?

2. What does l33t or however it goes stand for and how do I learn to translate all that back into English?

3. What is Craiglist and is it really a free Ebay? If so how do I use it?

4. What is with the whole Goth thing? Now that I am about to be a Dad (See my post from yesterday) I am worried about these kind of things.

5. How to you make the reply actually quote more than one person and how do you bold some text and not others and all that stuff. I know you have to type QUOTE and the line you are quoting but is there :"]) or something that needs put on each end?

Thanks for the help all, sorry to be so out of date but it happens when you don't keep up for a VERY long time. Later.

2. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    IRC is a form of communication that has been in use for 20 years.

3. elmoreas
    OP

United States
    We never used it at my college or in Grad School so I still do not know where to go to download the program and how to talk with people on GBATemp with it.

4. Neko

Member Neko Been a while.

Germany
    l33t is "computer-speak" for leet which is short for elite. l33t speak is basically just replacing letters with numbers. for example A would be 4 so All would be 4ll.

3. Craigslist, well you don't bid there. you message the people wanting to get rid of what ever you want and tell him you want to buy it I think. I'm not sure because I don't use it (I don't live in the U.S)

4. Goth has been around for a long time. It's just people listening to Goth music and dressing weirdly. A common stereotype is that they are working for satan but most of them are just normal people.

5. I don't know about the quotes but bolding text is easy. Just press "Add Reply" instead of "Fast reply" so you get the "good" text editor. Then just press the "b" button on the left top of the text input window. Same goes for italic, underline, emoticons and images. These all got buttons right there. [​IMG]

5. elmoreas
    OP

United States
    Are you kidding me, thats all l33t stands for? Hahaha Interesting to know though thanks.

People always tell me to use craiglist but if you don't bid I don't see how it works, but I guess I will have to call a younger cousin and just ask or something.

I know goth is a fashion statement and all and I am VERY Liberal so I am okay with most things its just the blood drinking that scares me, you can get sick or get diseases that way.

Thanks for the info on the editor, I knew about the buttons but was asking how to do it manually with text and such, but thanks anyways.

I appreciate the help, have a good one. Later. -Elmoreas

6. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Craigslist isn't a bidding system. It's a free personals ad.
    You know, in the newspaper you see ads about people offering to buy and sell stuff?
    That's what craigslist is. It's free, unlike running an ad in the paper.

I've never known a single goth to drink blood. XD It's usually just a harmless fashion thing.

If you use the buttons it inserts the text for you so you can see it yourself.

7. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    It's standard BBS Code for the bold/italics/underline/etc.

8. elmoreas
    OP

United States
    Ok most things answered, except my #1, How do I get/download IRC and use it. I want to be able to talk in real time with people.

P.S. Thanks for the help all, and especially for not making fun of me for being so out of date.

9. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Usually I am the last person to speak to on such matters.

1) As mentioned IRC has been around for years. Still it is a simple protocol for chatting to people, you connect to a server, join a room and type away (or not as may be the case).
    Many programs exist, they are called IRC clients.
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=240...t=0&start=0

2) It can mean simple letter transposition but it can be worse, do not use it, feel free to chastise anyone that chooses to use it.

3) see someone else. My advice on all these matters is stay away from online tat markets.

4) Goths were a historical group of people most noted (by some historians at least) for being one of the two big groups (along with the Vandals) that did a lot to end the ancient Roman empire. Modern goths, if they can so be called (given the general lack of resemblance to their historical namesakes), are what happens when fashion cycles and both sexes decide dressing like Joan Jett is appropriate.

5) Neko already took that one, bonus points though is that the middle button on a mouse opens the underlying link in a new tab when using a real browser where you can copy and paste.
    Do note making a quote pyramid and/or mass quoting is considered extremely bad form.

10. 0ddity

Member 0ddity GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Here are some common bbcode commands, typing them in manually works the same as pressing the button, you would type them without the spaces.

Code:
    code tags: [code ] typecodehere [/code ]
    bold: [b ]bold text[/b ]
    italics: [i ]italic text[/i ]
    image: [img ]imgurlhere[/img ]
    colored text (change red to whatever color): [color=red ]text here would be red[/color ]
    youtube video: [youtube ] youtube url after V= [/youtube]
    quote: [quote ]quoted text here [/quote ]
    quote with name: [quote=name] quoted text here [/quote ]
    multi level quote (works with or without names): [quote]quoted text[quote]reply to quote here[/quote][/quote]

11. elmoreas
    OP

United States
    @Oddity: Ching TYVM

12. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Goths? Be more worried about furries. They're coming, I swear. Some of them are already here.

13. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    The blood drinking thing is vampires I believe.

14. tigris

Member tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

United Kingdom
    Not here, nope. No furries here.

15. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    How old are you?

16. Warrior522

Member Warrior522 "In all things, balance."

United States
    Darn skippy. [​IMG]

17. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    [​IMG]
    wut? nyaah, there's no furries