Ok, how can i make gateway stop failing to close the softwares?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by guedesbrawl, Apr 14, 2015.

1. guedesbrawl
    OP

guedesbrawl GBAtemp Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Brazil
    i knew that if i happen to turn off the 3Ds before closing the software on the menu, i risk losing the save data of that play session; this happened a few times but no big deal (it was when i was getting used to the process and forgot about it_)

but sometimes when i go close SMash Bros, the "closing software" message pop up... and never goes away. previously i waited only 3 minutes, gave up, turned the console off, and found out my entire sae for the game was corrupted. this time, i waited as much as i could, but the battery died on me after 10 or so mins of waiting.

i don't want to lose my save data again. i already had to give up on 200hr to get the getaway to begin wtih, now i've lost about 60 hours in total again for smash (+40 of persona q). Why does this keep happening?!

i know periodical backups could alleviate the situation but i never remeber to do those; and they won't save me from losing bits of progress now and then

2. Chrushev

Chrushev GBAtemp Fan

Jul 23, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    How about not waiting until very last moment and your battery is about to die before saving? Sounds like you may get better saving times/results with a better SD card, yours may be too slow or fake.

Another alternative is to install CIA files, those you dont have to exit the software for it to save, they save like real eshop games.

Zidapi likes this.
  3. guedesbrawl
    OP

Sep 6, 2010
    Brazil

i was not expecting the game to die on me. this thing generally takes only a few seconds to close the software.

excuse the ignorance, but just to confirm, you are talking about the Sd card on the 3DS's side, not the micro inside the getaway, right?

4. Oishikatta

Oishikatta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 30, 2014
    United States

He is, .cia files install to the internal 3DS SD card. You can also remove the gateway red card while using .cia files.

Instead of directly closing SSB you might also try launching another app.

5. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    That's a weird problem OP and I hope you get it fixed.

Have you tried using a different micro SD card in the Gateway itself? Have you tried formatting your current one?

6. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    I had this happen once to me but it was with a game that forces reboot. I think it might be a SD card issue with the SD card in the gateway. The problem stopped for me after changing SD card and that same SD card is showing problems in my phone. Large files don't like to move onto it. Can only imagine it's going bad.

7. CFallenleaf

CFallenleaf GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    you can just power down instead of pressing home and x

8. nyder

nyder GBAtemp Fan

Mar 6, 2014
    United States
    Wow, this is all user error. Learn to Gateway properly.

9. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    As mentioned, doing that means your save data will be lost because the game save data is written when the game is exited.

genericuser likes this.
  10. CIAwesome526

CIAwesome526 Im ugly and im proud

Mar 25, 2014
    United States
    The Lake, Kalos Region
    is your phone an android? android cant transfer files larger than 4GB to the SD card. And the only way for android (if your on like 4.2+) to move files to an SD card is to root, or (like me, i have an HTC one M8) use the system file manager (which not all phones have, i know HTC only added the HTC file manager in a recent update), so things like ES wont work without a root.

oh, and SSB does make the the 3DS reboot (unless you use a new 3DS or new 3DS XL)

11. Chelsea_Fantasy

Chelsea_Fantasy GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 25, 2014
    Cuba
    same fail here.

solution: do not put the 3ds in sleep mode for a long time.

so, keep the 3ds open while you are growing norende :nds:

12. guedesbrawl
    OP

Sep 6, 2010
    Brazil
    see. i don't do this.

i simply turn the 3Ds off. my father does that, but he only plays Majora's and has reported no issues.

13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I always do that and I haven't lost any save files. Not since GW 2.2 or whatever it was that added "real time" saving.

14. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    Oh, I usually close games anyway to be safe. Guess I don't need to be as paranoid.

15. bytor

bytor GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2008
    Sounds like a wonky SD card to me.

16. Plasma Shadow

Plasma Shadow GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform

May 15, 2009
    I have no fucking idea.
    Yeah I don't have this issue, I just hold the power button to turn off and i haven't lost a single save ;-;

17. Arkansaw

Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    sometimes it fails to write a proper save even after going through home menu. On the next restart if you see anything like "creating save game for the first time"...you know only cia can be trusted

18. CFallenleaf

CFallenleaf GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    Yea. 2.2 added real time save alright. Unless your game freezes. They still need to make it real real time saving. Save states would be cool but i would prefer not to lose progress at all. The other wayyou could try to stop it is by switching to the camera or some other app.

19. nccom

nccom GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2006
    Estonia
    Convert it to card2 if you want real-time saves, thats the only way. Or just use .cia

20. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    I would suggest not using the term "real-time saves" since it has an entirely different meaning.