Hacking Oh no, I opened a VC game on the latest Luma (10.2) and now the 3DS system won't start.

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This isn't good. I can still get into the Luma settings and boot gm9 and open_agb_firm, but I can't get into the 3DS system at all.

I boot an emuNAND (11.4) by default, and I have an untouched sysNAND (11.6). Neither will start. What should I do? I do have NAND backups, although since neither NAND will boot and one is untouched, I suspect restoring NAND isn't necessary. What could have happened?

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
This isn't good. I can still get into the Luma settings and boot gm9 and open_agb_firm, but I can't get into the 3DS system at all.

I boot an emuNAND (11.4) by default, and I have an untouched sysNAND (11.6). Neither will start. What should I do? I do have NAND backups, although since neither NAND will boot and one is untouched, I suspect restoring NAND isn't necessary. What could have happened?
Why did you not inject/move your EmuNand to SysNand yet? Preserve EmuNand today has no sense (except if you are a Gateway red flashcard user)

Last edited by fmkid,
Reactions: Alexander1970

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It makes sense if you want to diagnose a boot issue like I just did: sysNAND wouldn't boot, so the issue with emuNAND not booting was unlikely to be corrupted emuNAND.

It also makes sense if you want a clean sysNAND for playing cartridge games online - zero risk.

And yeah I have a red card too. I didn't know you could buy the blue one separately.

Three reasons. They could go in a sticky.

What advantages would you list for only having one NAND? As far as I know the only one is to save a little space on the SD card, but I expect you know of some others since you seem to feel strongly about it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It also makes sense if you want a clean sysNAND for playing cartridge games online - zero risk.

And yeah I have a red card too. I didn't know you could buy the blue one separately.

Three reasons. They could go in a sticky.

What advantages would you list for only having one NAND? As far as I know the only one is to save a little space on the SD card, but I expect you know of some others since you seem to feel strongly about it.
There is already just about zero risk. No one ever got banned simply for using CIAs, the people who got banned were using Gateway or Sky3DS with public headers, using a public LFCS_B, playing leaked games early, or cheating online.

You can't, he meant that the blue card is fine to use but the red card is best avoided nowadays.

Those are only 2 reasons, and I just debunked one of them.

There are a few reasons to ditch emuNAND. Increased load speeds and slower install speeds would be one. Saving space is the obvious one. Also, DSiWare games don't work off of emuNAND - they must be installed to sysNAND.

emuNAND's primary purpose was to be able to update your firmware for online or for playing newer games without breaking exploits. But we are not getting any updates anymore. Another purpose was to provide brick protection. But we have that through B9S anyway. There are far more reasons to ditch emuNAND than to keep using it these days.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

fmkid

Just another GBATemp's random guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Well, I don't want to obligate to anyone for move EmuNand to SysNand; it's only a suggestion (each one knows the reasons or have his/her own ways/rights to use 2 or more NANDs).

• You don't have to double-install DSiWare and GBA VC titles on both NANDs to use them.
  • No need to have separated NANDs (and there's not messed up things per se)
  • In some cases, there could be problems with NNID account. Exactly, when you have to format one of the NANDs, NNID is unassociated and later causes problems with the no-formatted NAND (being mandatory to remove NNID on that NAND too).
It makes sense if you want to diagnose a boot issue like I just did: sysNAND wouldn't boot, so the issue with emuNAND not booting was unlikely to be corrupted emuNAND.
(Re)Boot issues are associated to have double-NAND indeed. In some cases, if EmuNand is rebooted (closing and app or by a kind of system error) could not be warranty of a clean reboot (console could be stucked until a hard boot or complete shutdown was performed).

No. That's not so true at all. Nintendo has ways to detect if your console is modified, and using a "clean" SysNand doesn't avoid that (B9S is installed on SysNand, indeed).

And you can use a "non-clean" (if you will) SysNand with original cartridges, and nothing will happen with online (while you don't use cheats or take any kind of advantage over the other players: that is a real/possible cause of ban).

You have it, but do you use it??

Last edited by fmkid,

retrospect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Interesting points. I"m gonna stick with the set-up I have though, at least for now.

MultiNAND causing Luma reboot issues is particularly interesting, and that could be what caused the issue I experienced today. I've installed Luma 10.1.3 now and it seems solid. 10.2 did not seem good. The crash I posted wasn't the only one - just the only one that caused a problem.

I don't use the red Gateway at the moment. I exported all the data a while ago, and I don't recall what's safe and what isn't, so it's staying where it is for now.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you may not want to use gateway unless it's for finding cheats. I was using gateway myself, but I dropped it for something better. I don't like the idea that it supposedly has brick software as part of it.

Reactions: retrospect

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.