Oh I'm screwed over a laptop I'm trying to fix.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Today was another "hey, can you please format and installed XP on my laptop" request. Being the bored person, I agreed and took it in. It was a Compaq Armada M700. First thing I did was turn it on and all of a sudden, a ton of "FILES MISSING" messages kept popping up. So I thought "forget this" and went straight to inserting a disc, resetting it and going through formatting it. But when it went to the installing Windows XP part, I got a "Setup cannot copy ______". I skipped that. Then suddenly another CANNOT COPY. And another. And another. It was at that point that the HDD was formatted but I cannot install XP on it. Any ideas?

Dominator

the world end without you
Trophies
Website
www.ipodtutofast.com
XP
Country
France
sorry i don't now ..........

but breack you xp cd-rom and buy or download LINUX

LINUW POWA crosoft papelita......
nyanya.gif

iTech

Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States
I had the same thing happen to me once. I think it has something to do with the HAL which is invoked during setup. Someone requested an XP install, on a PC, and I used my XP Home edition CD - but setup kept failing while it always worked on my computers. Luckily, I had another XP disc - Home Edition Service Pack 1, which installed flawlessly.

So, get a different, if possible higher version of WinXP and try again.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had the same thing happen to me once. I think it has something to do with the HAL which is invoked during setup. Someone requested an XP install, on a PC, and I used my XP Home edition CD - but setup kept failing while it always worked on my computers. Luckily, I had another XP disc - Home Edition Service Pack 1, which installed flawlessly.

So, get a different, if possible higher version of WinXP and try again.
Well, I went through a "download as much XP ISO as possible phase". First one I tried was a XP Professional. That gave the error. Second one was also an XP Pro. Also failed. Then I used the one I normally use when which was a Home OEM disc. Also gave an error.

iTech

Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States
What happened in my case was that setup would freeze after copying a specific amount of files, forcing me to reboot.
You're probably being prompted to shut down your computer and try again, which on second thought isn't exactly the same as what happened to me.
I believe the only two possibilities here then are a hard drive or CD/DVD drive defect. Run chkdsk and see if there are any corrupt sectors, then rewrite the MBR. If it doesn't fix it and if you have an external HDD, I suggest trying to install it on there and see if what works. Otherwise, try doing a network boot. You should be able to single out the defect this way.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say, are you doing a quick format?

Its probably something wrong with the hard drive... Got one that you can swap in? Sounds like the hdd is messed up... Your saying that it didnt work before you tried to install anything, right?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Say, are you doing a quick format?

Its probably something wrong with the hard drive... Got one that you can swap in? Sounds like the hdd is messed up... Your saying that it didnt work before you tried to install anything, right?
It's a 12gb HDD and I tried NTSF and NTSF Quick Format and they still gave me "cannot copy files messages". I am absolutely sure that the disc isn't scratched beyond working because it's always worked on a ton of other PCs I worked on.

There was another problem when I turned it on for the first time the mouse touch pad on the laptop doesn't respond at all. Plugging in USB mouse doesn't work and I don't have the old stlye mouse with the old connectors. Funny how when I turned the laptop on, it shows Windows XP but when I turned the laptop over, I saw something that gave me horrible flashbacks. It was originally installed with Windows 2000.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a VERY old laptop... Might not even support XP!!! How much ram does it have???

If possible, install windows 95/98
laugh.gif

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The "cannot copy" error sounds like a problem with the RAM. It's having problems retrieving and sending the info that gets stored in the RAM, which I believe is what the XP installer uses during the whole bootup install process.

Also, ask around for the original disks that came with the laptop. Try those to restore a factory default. I know that it's a pretty crappy option, but they might have utilities that can help you recover a drive, which is better than nothing. As the guy posted above said, it sounds a lot like the laptop is really old, which means XP would be useless on the laptop. I can't remember how much XP takes up on an initial install, but I think it's about 9 gigs of space, that more than half the drive already. I recalled 95/98/ME took somewhere around 2 gigs.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know from experience that it CAN run on 128mb of Ram... But for a laptop with 12gb HDD, i doubt it even has 64mb
frown.gif

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dont do a quick format, do a full format, that will seed out the bad sectors on the disc. and get rid of a lot stuff you dont know, like boot information. then try again. if that doesnt work then install windows 2000.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: