Hacking Oh god I think I messed up/bricked my friends Wii

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
The problem is they didnt have access to the HBC, so they couldn't install Priiloader after installing a new system menu.

didn't greywolf, that guide and others has told him how to install HBC from Preloader/Priiloader or install/restore Priiloader even if there is no HBC? And in the end he fixed the console with that guide?
fake signed ios36 (or any other official ios) has been obsoleted for ages.

PS. the only uncertainty here is:
1. was the system menu bad in the beginning?
2. did he ever installed ios60 successfully and tested boot after that before using the guide?

Last edited by tswntk,

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
didn't greywolf, that guide and others has told him how to install HBC from Preloader/Priiloader or install/restore Priiloader even if there is no HBC? And in the end he fixed the console with that guide?
fake signed ios36 (or any other official ios) has been obsoleted for ages.

PS. the only uncertainty here is:
1. was the system menu bad in the beginning?

2. did he ever installed ios60 successfully and tested boot after that before using the guide?

I dont think so. Pretty sure nobody told me how to restore HBC from preloader. I think the reason was that preloader is too old and doesnt have the functionality necessary to restore HBC by itself

1. Im not sure what that means. Maybe what your saying is my friend set me up with a lemon? Its possible. It booted fine when i used it but i was definitely not comfortable with all the crap he had on there. Seemed like a recipe for disaster. Im still not sure what it was that ultimately broke the camels back and i guess we'll never know. I do have a suspicion. He had an app on there that did something wierd everytime i tried to use it. I forget the name of it but its one that i use as well. The really good multi purpose Sega Genesis/MS/CD app. The one he had would quickly boot to what quickly boot to bootmii then immediately crash and kick me back to the system menu or freeze up the system.

I dont think that was necessarily the cause but maybe a sympton of the problem

2. Yes i did try to boot several times after installing IOS60. I still got the corrupt system menu message

Last edited by Waltharius,

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I dont think so. Pretty sure nobody told me how to restore HBC from preloader. I think the reason was that preloader is too old and doesnt have the functionality necessary to restore HBC by itself

1. Im not sure what that means. Maybe what your saying is my friend set me up with a lemon? Its possible. It booted fine when i used it but i was definitely not comfortable with all the crap he had on there. Seemed like a recipe for disaster. Im still not sure what it was that ultimately broke the camels back and i guess we'll never know. I do have a suspicion. He had an app on there that did something wierd everytime i tried to use it. I forget the name of it but its one that i use as well. The really good multi purpose Sega Genesis/MS/CD app. The one he had would quickly boot to what quickly boot to bootmii then immediately crash and kick me back to the system menu or freeze up the system.

If you can start any app (like Dop-mii), then you should be able to start hackmii installer (HBC) by the same method (https://gbatemp.net/threads/oh-god-i-think-i-messed-up-bricked-my-friends-wii.445248/#post-6760118)

1. I mean, was the system menu bad/corrupted when you have the problem and yes, we probably will never know by now. But if you did installed ios60 successfully and still can't boot into system menu, then chances are high that it IS corrupted.

PS. if you have never run hackmii installer and now you have HBC, then HBC has always been there just preloader v0.28 have problem accessing it.

It should a good time to run syscheck HDE now to generate a detailed report of the console and see if everything is in order.

PS2. Oh, don't get the wrong impression that you are all set with HBC installed. It is priiloader or bootmii@boot2 that provides the brick protection but only the early batches of Wii can install bootmii@boot2. Later batches are patched to block bootmii@boot2.

Last edited by tswntk,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DOP-Mii reports showed that it had IOS80 on it so it was updated (attempted to be updated) to 4.3 at some point. Since reinstalling 4.1 fixed it it sounds like someone attempted to downgrade it from 4.3 to 4.1 at some point ant it failed.

It's best just to stick with 4.3. I know people say "there are no benefits and less hacks available' but there only needs to be one working hack (Letterbomb) and there are benefits. I can't remember which from 4.0-4.2 but one of them had something wrong with it where it wrote to NAND like every 5-10 seconds and could cause premature wear.

Zonta85

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
Excuse me but i can't understand these 7 pages. Correct me if i'm wrong but while he can use priiloader he can launch sysycheck and then check which is the missing system menu related to is pairing system ios (or viceversa) and then download it ( or both) with nus, install it (or both) trough a wad manager launched via priiloader. If is a banner brick he can delete all of the unofficial titles installed via any title deleter launched with priiloader.

This is crazy.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Excuse me but i can't understand these 7 pages. Correct me if i'm wrong but while he can use priiloader he can launch sysycheck and then check which is the missing system menu related to is pairing system ios (or viceversa) and then download it ( or both) with nus, install it (or both) trough a wad manager launched via priiloader. If is a banner brick he can delete all of the unofficial titles installed via any title deleter launched with priiloader.

This is crazy.

Actually, a syscheck log is not needed at the early stage. All the OP need to do is to install a matching pair of system menu/ios but he is so paranoid that he is reluctant to carry out steps that he considered "dangerous". He also mistaken a Dop-mii report as a syscheck log. Random suggestions also complicated matter further.
Of course, an early syscheck log wouldn't hurt either but I guess that may confuse him even more.

What cause the problem is a mystery now: wrong custom theme? region change? failed update? BrickMnatural wear and tear? Why Preloader is still intact? Maybe only the OP or his friend know.

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you can start any app (like Dop-mii), then you should be able to start hackmii installer (HBC) by the same method (https://gbatemp.net/threads/oh-god-i-think-i-messed-up-bricked-my-friends-wii.445248/#post-6760118)

1. I mean, was the system menu bad/corrupted when you have the problem and yes, we probably will never know by now. But if you did installed ios60 successfully and still can't boot into system menu, then chances are high that it IS corrupted.

PS. if you have never run hackmii installer and now you have HBC, then HBC has always been there just preloader v0.28 have problem accessing it.

It should a good time to run syscheck HDE now to generate a detailed report of the console and see if everything is in order.

PS2. Oh, don't get the wrong impression that you are all set with HBC installed. It is priiloader or bootmii@boot2 that provides the brick protection but only the early batches of Wii can install bootmii@boot2. Later batches are patched to block bootmii@boot2.

I did a fresh install. Reformated everything and installed 4.3U. Not taking any chances with the setup he had. Bootmii is on there now obviously and Priiloader.

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its weird how it seems like youre trying to make me sound unreasonable. I was cautious but not THAT cautious. The dop-mii report is called SysCheck and you can save the log which is what i kept posting. Im not confusing anything. I dont know what type of system check youre talking about but it never came up in this thread. I would have done it if somebody suggested it and explained how to run it.

Also Yeah you say all i needed was a matching IOS to my system firmware but how was i supposed to know that. I made it very clear that i didnt know what any of this stuff means. I mean i barely knew what .dol or .elf file was. Now obviously in hindsight I understand why people kept bringing up IOS60 but nobody made it clear as to why IOS60 was so specifically important....at least not that i can recall or in terms that i understood.

Thats all im saying.

Also my friend doesnt know a thing about any of this. He let somebody mod it a long time ago and it suddenly stopped working so he sent it to me to fix.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
its weird how it seems like youre trying to make me sound unreasonable. I was cautious but not THAT cautious. The dop-mii report is called SysCheck and you can save the log which is what i kept posting. Im not confusing anything. I dont know what type of system check youre talking about but it never came up in this thread. I would have done it if somebody suggested it and explained how to run it.

Also Yeah you say all i needed was a matching IOS to my system firmware but how was i supposed to know that. I made it very clear that i didnt know what any of this stuff means. I mean i barely knew what .dol or .elf file was. Now obviously in hindsight I understand why people kept bringing up IOS60 but nobody made it clear as to why IOS60 was so specifically important....at least not that i can recall or in terms that i understood.

Thats all im saying.

Also my friend doesnt know a thing about any of this. He let somebody mod it a long time ago and it suddenly stopped working so he sent it to me to fix.

I didn't blame you that you don't know what you are doing but had you listen to Greywolf in the beginning, you would have fixed your console in no time.
I am also trying to let people know the importance of learning how thing works instead of wasting a month's time fooling around taking random ideas.
There are many great tutorials here and many many cases here of users who don't know what they were doing and do random things trying to fix their Wii but in the end fully bricked them.

We have homebrew apps that provides way more details that the dop-mii's report and its called syscheck HDE. I mentioned it once. There are also other syscheck apps (by name) but syscheck HDE is the latest.

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't blame you that you don't know what you are doing but had you listen to Greywolf in the beginning, you would have fixed your console in no time.
I am also trying to let people know the importance of learning how thing works instead of wasting a month's time fooling around taking random ideas.
There are many great tutorials here and many many cases here of users who don't know what they were doing and do random things trying to fix their Wii but in the end fully bricked them.

you noticed how quickly i fixed the problem once given a link.

I normally dont even make threads when i have tech problem because i know the internet is a huge resource of information and im pretty good at figuring out how to fix things. The problem with this one is I had no idea what the problem was or what the solution might be. I missing step one. All I had was the knowledge that sites like this one might be able to give me some direction on troubleshooting.

To be Honest i kind of figured i was gonna just gonna get a link to already created thread with a full break down and solution within a day two but it ended up taking a full month. That definitely is not a negative for the community since it proves that people are willing to stick with you and engage with newcomers instead of just posting a possibly irrelevant links just to get rid of you asap. Thats what most communities do. This is a good community.

We have homebrew apps that provides way more details that the dop-mii's report and its called syscheck HDE. I mentioned it once. There are also other syscheck apps (by name) but syscheck HDE is the latest.

im sure there are lots of apps that do thorough diagnostic checks but i wasnt made aware of them as far as i know. If you did mention some of them in this thread, then it must have got lost in the shuffle. i didnt intentionally ignore any suggestion because i thought it they were wrong.. I mean this was essentially a trouble shooting thread. I was willing to try anything as long as it was explained. Especially a diagnostic check. Seems like that would be the first thing to do right?

Plus you have to remember that i was using old ass preloader and MultiModManager wouldnt even boot with it. I had no idea what would work and what might make things worse. I was happy that dop-mii worked. Now I do know a few things about this sort of situation and i'll extend that information to as many people as i can help :)

Thanks everyone. Again you saved my ass

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland

TBH, I didn't mentioned syscheck until you fixed your console because that wasn't really needed at the time.
In fact I didn't step in until you fixed the console because I don't want to be another random guy that might confuse you further. I stepped in just so you might learn a little bit of what you were doing.

I mentioned syscheck so that we can check if your softmod is up to date.

There are a few possibilities for booting problems like yours. The most obvious are banner brick and menu brick

Trying to fix banner brick without knowledge of what has been done to the console that causes the brick is dangerous and confusing
Menu brick actually is much simpler to fix although it is dangerous if you are not playing attentions

1. if it is the ios that caused the problem, it is safe to reinstall it and so should be tried first. You mentioned ios60 in your first post so everyone would assume you are on system menu 4.1 and start from there.

2. if it is the system menu itself, and you don't have bootmii@boot2, if would be dangerous to replace the system menu cause it will remove priiloader and if you didn't managed to reinstall it before rebooting, you will have no brick protection in case anything went wrong.
System menu requires the matching ios to work and has to match with the region of your console.
But as I said, if it is the system menu that caused the problem, you have no way out but to reinstall it.

PS. there are two types of bootmii:
a. bootmii@boot2 which reside itself in the Wii's boot loader which take control even before Prilloader and is the best brick protection - but only the first few batches of Wiis are vulnerable
b. bootmii as ios - as later Wiis blocked bootmii@boot2, bootmii can only be installed as ios but that provides very little brick problem if any

hackmii installer will install HBC and bootmii as boot2/ios automatically depending on your Wii's vulnerabilities.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it helps any I wasn't annoyed or anything at all. I was just thinking "it's already broken, just try reinstalling the menu." :)

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH, I didn't mentioned syscheck until you fixed your console because that wasn't really needed at the time.
In fact I didn't step in until you fixed the console because I don't want to be another random guy that might confuse you further. I stepped in just so you might learn a little bit of what you were doing.

I mentioned syscheck so that we can check if your softmod is up to date.

There are a few possibilities for booting problems like yours. The most obvious are banner brick and menu brick

Trying to fix banner brick without knowledge of what has been done to the console that causes the brick is dangerous and confusing
Menu brick actually is much simpler to fix although it is dangerous if you are not playing attentions

1. if it is the ios that caused the problem, it is safe to reinstall it and so should be tried first. You mentioned ios60 in your first post so everyone would assume you are on system menu 4.1 and start from there.

2. if it is the system menu itself, and you don't have bootmii@boot2, if would be dangerous to replace the system menu cause it will remove priiloader and if you didn't managed to reinstall it before rebooting, you will have no brick protection in case anything went wrong.
System menu requires the matching ios to work and has to match with the region of your console.
But as I said, if it is the system menu that caused the problem, you have no way out but to reinstall it.

PS. there are two types of bootmii:
a. bootmii@boot2 which reside itself in the Wii's boot loader which take control even before Prilloader and is the best brick protection - but only the first few batches of Wiis are vulnerable
b. bootmii as ios - as later Wiis blocked bootmii@boot2, bootmii can only be installed as ios but that provides very little brick problem if any

hackmii installer will install HBC and bootmii as boot2/ios automatically depending on your Wii's vulnerabilities.

thanks for the info

Yeah I noticed that last bit about the bootmii install because when i redid this Wii it said can only install bootmii as IOS. i have never seen that message so i found it strange. So thats why it said that.

good to know

Waltharius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You removed the ES_DIVerfiy patch needed by preloaded when you let pimp my wii reinstall system ios. Any method of system ios install that does not apply ES_DIVerfiy patch would give a "system files corrupt" error because preloader needs this patch.
"The system files are corrupted."

Ah sweet! So thats what it was. Man thanks so much for the link explaining it and much thanks for that guide from earlier.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: