Oh boy, my V64 arrived today...

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by Harsky, Dec 16, 2006.

Dec 16, 2006

Oh boy, my V64 arrived today... by Harsky at 1:20 PM (1,136 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Something I've been wanting for a while and since I got paid a little extra during Christmas, I thought I might snap one up after seeing one on ebay. Yes, the Xbox/PC emulator can play N64 but I can't be bothered with plugins etc. I noticed the CD drive can be removed. I have a spare CD drive and it can read DVDs (read, not write). If I burn the N64 roms to a blank DVD, will it still read it or is there some bios that can only read if it's burned to CD media only?

2. Rocco Savadgie

Member Rocco Savadgie GBAtemp Regular

afaik, it will only read CD's no matter what. I've never tried it myself though. Let me know if it works [​IMG]

3. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    Sorry to say I'm not sure if a DVD drive will work, worth a try though.

If you don't mind can I ask what you paid for it? I've always wanted one of these as well.

4. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    £80. With postage and packaging.

5. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    is it like a gp32x?

6. Harsky
    OP

Member Harsky Madmin

United Kingdom
    Not really. Plays VCD but that's about it. I can't test it because my N64 is at my sister's apartment 100 miles away. Might break into my cousin's house and steal it.

7. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    hrm... links to info plz?

8. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    Great unit. Mine still works like a champ. I hope the unit you purchased has the full 256M memory as the 128M expansion is proprietary. There were only a few 512M cartridges produced that it can't run - though they are great games (Conker's BFD, Paper Mario, RE2, ???). You needed the V64Jr-512M version for those.

There is no need to bother with installing a DVD drive unless you enjoy experimenting. Even if you have all of the cartridges backed up they don't fill up more than 6 or 7 CDs. I doubt the BIOS would be able to support anything other than basic CD commands but like I said if you enjoy experimenting [​IMG]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_V64

9. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    Nice, I remember buying one for 300 back in the day and then it just froze on me a year ago and never worked again... had to throw it out [​IMG]