Hacking OFW 11.0.0 SX OS 3.1.0 black screen

evilone

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I always installed with ExFAT driver, as i use an external USB HDD with ExFat for sure, doesnt know if this has any difference, but currently im still on 11.0. :)

Which tool do you use to do a corruption check ?

3DSBricker

Not So Daily Active Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
EaseUs, sfc/chkdsk, don't know if it helps for all corruption things but also Archive Bit tool in Hekate, copying everthing to my pc and format again in exFat. These are the things I do if something is wrong with my Switch, mostly just replacing the boot0/1 again fixes it. I never had any serious corruption, only stupid things I do myself.

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I always installed with ExFAT driver, as i use an external USB HDD with ExFat for sure, doesnt know if this has any difference, but currently im still on 11.0. :)

Which tool do you use to do a corruption check ?
H2testw (quite long on large sd card and wipe everything, so be “aware “) or chkdsk on windows command

Spkcalv

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So that's why I said both. ChoiDujourNX doesn't automatically enable it. It gives you the option for firmware: 11.0.0 & 11.0.0 (exFat)
You need to choose the right one, actually always exFat as it works with FAT32 too. Just an extra driver. In this case, it's more likely corruption as from what I understand, it did boot after updating which also means it is an Erista Switch as Mariko's boot0/1 gets corrupted (fixed in latest SX OS version).
I can't remember exactly but when updating in choidujour, there was like 10.0.0 and 10.0.0(something)

I just chose the left option lol which is sounding like maybe incorrect from your post

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
EaseUs, sfc/chkdsk, don't know if it helps for all corruption things but also Archive Bit tool in Hekate, copying everthing to my pc and format again in exFat. These are the things I do if something is wrong with my Switch, mostly just replacing the boot0/1 again fixes it. I never had any serious corruption, only stupid things I do myself.
Same for me

H2testw tests the SD card for any errors, not corruption. Formatting the card fixes almost always the corruption. That's why I didn't meantion it, it's not a tool to fix corruption.
I do know, but it checks for bad sectors that can lead to corruption

Last edited by Maupiti,

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I can't remember exactly but when updating in choidujour, there was like 10.0.0 and 10.0.0(something)

I just chose the left option lol which is sounding like maybe incorrect from your post
Well, using a spare SD and copying your EmuNAND (or for partition EmuNAND: formatting the SD partition) in FAT32 and updating again, this time with exFat option and formatting back to exFat and replace the files onto it, could've fixed it. As I'm typing this it sounds more and more complicated :rofl:

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, using a spare SD and copying your EmuNAND (or for partition EmuNAND: formatting the SD partition) in FAT32 and updating again, this time with exFat option and formatting back to exFat and replace the files onto it, could've fixed it. As I'm typing this it sounds more and more complicated :rofl:
Why people “stick” with exfat ? I f you want full homebrew support like Retroarch, you need fat32. But hell, every body’s choice

Last edited by Maupiti,

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Because FAT32 is old, slow, has irritating limits, just not the best option anymore. It's now something of the past. ExFAT is superior, fast, no limits atm, it's new, it's best. Nintendo is just stupid that they don't want to pay for the driver so the support for exFat is very bad. Normal Nintendo Switch things can't (easily) corrupt the SD card. So to complain to Nintendo like: make a better driver, my SD got corrupted, etc. They won't respond or take it serious as it only happens to hombrew and I think they're happy about that. There is support for it, it's not recommended and it's noto required for anything and it can be corrupted by using homebrew. Best thing for Nintendo ever. I didn't ever expierenced any corruption at all (only corrupted boot0/1 for using Choi but that's different) so I stick with exFat. Actually it's reversed, people stick with FAT32, they don't switch to exFat. If you can use FAT32, use it, if not, I don't see any bad things about exFat.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Because FAT32 is old, slow, has irritating limits, just not the best option anymore. It's now something of the past. ExFAT is superior, fast, no limits atm, it's new, it's best. Nintendo is just stupid that they don't want to pay for the driver so the support for exFat is very bad. Normal Nintendo Switch things can't (easily) corrupt the SD card. So to complain to Nintendo like: make a better driver, my SD got corrupted, etc. They won't respond or take it serious as it only happens to hombrew and I think they're happy about that. There is support for it, it's not recommended and it's noto required for anything and it can be corrupted by using homebrew. Best thing for Nintendo ever. I didn't ever expierenced any corruption at all (only corrupted boot0/1 for using Choi but that's different) so I stick with exFat. Actually it's reversed, people stick with FAT32, they don't switch to exFat. If you can use FAT32, use it, if not, I don't see any bad things about exFat.
I was user of exfat from the very beginning, and went fat32.., But as you said, no bad things...;). And once again, I was talking in a “switch context “.., I do use exfat with my computer or PS4

Last edited by Maupiti,

evilone

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis

I switched to FAT32 because of this.. Its german but im pretty sure with translate you will understand it aswell in your language :)

https://wiidatabase.de/bitte-nutzt-nicht-exfat-fuer-switch-microsd-karten/

Brawl345

Trophies
Website
wiidatabase.de
XP
Country
Germany
Because FAT32 is old, slow, has irritating limits, just not the best option anymore. It's now something of the past. ExFAT is superior, fast, no limits atm
stop propagating this, it's wrong, misleading and causes massive damage only because of opinions like this, seriously. exFat is not "better", it doesn't have a second File Allocation Table and any minor error can't be fixed by the file system itself. It's dangerous on the Switch because Nintendos' exFAT driver is buggy and doesn't close file handles properly, leading to definitive file corruption. Also happens on FAT32, but it fixes itself due to the backup File Allocation Table.

it only happens to hombrew
This is just wrong, Pokémon Sword and Shield had a critical bug that caused a timeout on NAND access and Nintendo's driver failed to recover causing damage on the file table. Not a problem for FAT32, but for exFAT.

"Well, it didn't happen to me!" is not an argument.

3DSBricker

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That is true and yes it's not an argument but I also said I didn't ever expierenced any corruption and THAT'S the reason I stick with exFat, not that it never happened to normal games and apps, okay I was wrong but I just hate the 4GB limit. Personally, I don't recommend FAT32, neither do I advise against it but knowing the risks and the amount of people that doesn't understand them, I always say to people to just use FAT32, and the Switch formats the SD cards to FAT32 too. I make many backups and I'm careful but I can't do anything about the fact Nintendo just made a stupid driver and I hate FAT32, so I know the risks, accepts them and just stick with exFat. Unless I get real corruption, I stick with exFat. You don't need to see this messages helpful, it really isn't, so don't look at it if you think it is 'misleading'.

Last edited by 3DSBricker, , Reason: Grammar mistakes

Sylerc

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I formatted to fat32 and that worked!! Thank you so much. It's so strange that I was completely fine with exfat before.

Just 1 thing I noticed, when I hold + and power I no longer get the 3 button menu for "customer firmware, official firmware, options" anymore I can only power button straight into custom firmware, any idea about it?[/QUOTE

Hello i am having the exact problem today and i want to format to FAT32 too since it worked with you. Just wanted to know did you put backup everything you had in your SD in a folder and then formatted it or did you lost all your data. Also i dont remember sxos serial numbers or anything anymore

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end