officially updated 4.0 help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by newr, Jun 15, 2009.

Jun 15, 2009

officially updated 4.0 help by newr at 10:54 PM (1,013 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. newr
    OP

Newcomer newr Advanced Member

Canada
    Please help me understand this, I've read a few threads and couldn't figure out the correct answer.

I have a modded Wii with D2ePro chip, was running 3.3J with homebrew, softchipR98, neogamma installed. I just did a bunch of work on this and converted it to 3.2U after downgrading and then regionchange with Anyregion. After that, it asked to update inorder to use connect24..and I stupidly said yes....so I ended up with an officially updated 4.0U.

Now, I've read here and there that I need to patch some IOS if I have an offically loaded 4.0U? Is this necessary? I've checked and my homebrew channel still works..homebrew browser still works.... I tried Wad manager 1.4 and it still seem to install Wad from my SD when I choose to install neogamma wad again...the only one that seems to mess up is if I run anyregion again.. it gives an error and then after it loads..it seem to read the Wii with the wrong region info, but then I don't need to change region anymore..so that won't matter.

So the question is...do I need to do anything to fix an officially updated 4.0U? I read the Preloader is a good thing to have now to deal with possible brick..so I would like to install that....also maybe the USB loader thing to load games with USB drive.

I have read the ultimate 4.0 guide.. but it doesn't seem to explain my situation...I already have 4.0U on my system now...just need to see if I need to downgrade it and redo install iwth Wanikoko's 4.0 update? or do some fixing with IOS? or just leave it as is?

Thanks for your help

2. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    You install a patched IOS60 so the SD Menu works properly.

3. newr
    OP

Canada
    Hmm.. that's interesting..I never installed an patch ios...I did have rev10 of Wanikoko's installed before...but that was all before I did the official update.

So if I can run homebrew channel...I don't need todo anything else to fix an officially updated 4.0?

Can I go ahead to install Preloader?

Thanks

4. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Preloader's a good idea, especially if you don't have BootMii/boot2.

5. newr
    OP

Canada
    What's bootmii/boot2? should I install that insttead of preloader? is it ok to install these if it's 4.0U system?

6. zant

Member zant GBAtemp Fan

United States
    bootmii is the ultimate failsafe. its ok to install aslong as don't have an LU64 wii. (pretty much any wii older than 5 months is ok to use)

7. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Bootmii doesn't have any problem installing on LU64 Wii's as well as an IOS, and is pretty much necessary to even hack them at all. A boot2 install of bootmii is the only thing that can't be done on any Wii, and the hackmii installer will let you know if you can't on your Wii when you run it. If you got your Wii before like mid 2008 you should be able to still install bootmii to boot2, otherwise you can only install the IOS version which isn't quite as useful brick protection wise.

So if you can do a boot2 install do it, then preloader won't really be necessary except for hacks. If you can only do an IOS install then just get preloader.

8. newr
    OP

Canada
    Hmm... I didn't think my Wii is LU64..not sure whta that means...I got it in China last fall of 08 as a Japanese console...but I did remember updated homebrew channel recently and there was something about bootmii which it said can only be install as IOS? I didn't install it since I didn't know what that is.

So just to make sure I understand...I can try to install bootmii on a 4.0U Wii (changed from 3.3J)...if it only let me do IOS..then I am better off doing preloader...and neither of these will brick the console right? I still don't really know what it does for me.. but it seems like a good idea to safe from a brick if it ever happens?

Do I get this correct? Thanks for all the help..sorry I am not as familiar with all this stuff!

9. newr
    OP

Canada
    Just noted one thing..the message I got before when I upgraded homebrew channel ..it says boot2 couldn't install because previous boot1....from what I read...it means there's no way to install bootmii to make it useful..so I should just to preloader right?

10. nabster92

United States
    Yea if you can only install bootmii as an IOS then your Wii is too recent for a boot2 install which would have made it boot up the bootmii menu before your system menu on startup. As an IOS you can only load it through the homebrew channel so it won't provide any brick protection in itself. So get preloader and bootmii as an IOS won't hurt to have either. If you do ever do something that has to do with IOS60 though afterwards be very careful with it as it would affect preloader as well since it runs off that.

And your Wii most likely isn't an LU64+ type of Wii (which is the first few digits of serial number of the Wii for NTSC Wii's I think, the pal equivalent is like LEH11 or something.) Since you were able to downgrade it at all I doubt yours is one of them. Downgrading those Wii's = brick pretty much.

Anyways, bootmii installation is safe with whatever you do. The hackmii installer is quite robust in its security checks and won't install anything it thinks it can't.

With preloader, just be sure you know what you're doing if you're doing something involving system menu IOS or something and you should be fine.

11. newr
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for the last post..finally getting this figured out. I just installed Bootmii...as an IOS..but after I launch it..I can't navigate the bootmii menu...I read I need a GC controller for it to work? Tried the power button and it won't do it neither. Anyway around it.. or does bootmii not work for me?

As to Preloader..looks like it's the only way to have brick protection for me...from what I gather..the installer will patch IOS60 if needed right? I have 4.0U now..but someone says mine is already patch since I am still able to run homebrew stuff through my SD card. Now...after I install preloader...does it mean I can't update my wii further since it may do something to the IOS60? I am not totally familiar with the IOS stuff..so I just tend to try to avoid the problem....is it ok to install preloader then?

12. nabster92

United States
    bootmii as an IOS isn't compatible with the face buttons on the Wii so yea to use the IOS version you will need a GC controller.

Patching IOS60 is pretty much to be able to run installed wads of vc/wiiware games through the sd card channel feature added in 4.0 You should be able to run regular homebrew through your sd card regardless. And I think preloader will need to do something to IOS60 regardless. There are certain guides for things that have you install some sort of patched IOS60 after already having preloader which bricks your system, but still lets preloader boot up at which point you're supposed to boot up hbc through it and reinstall preloader again so it can properly install to the patched IOS60. And about updating your Wii further, although you shouldn't be doing any official update anymore regardless, if a new firmware is released it may just use a new IOS for the system menu like 70 or something. On 3.2 IOS30 was used for the system menu and 3.4 used IOS50 and so on.

So updating would most likely at the very least get rid of preloader. But search here if you ever do come across something asking to update and there will most likely be some sort of alternative within days of it (if it's something new).

13. newr
    OP

Canada
    Thanks for the explanation guys...i think i got it figured out now...couldn't really use bootmii cuz I don't have gc pad and it's ios installed...gonna do the preloader thing now....hope it won't kill my Wii [​IMG]

14. newr
    OP

Canada
    Couldn't install preloader....it says failed root...ios36 is fakesigned bug or soemthing..I read i have to install some cios or downgrade? is that ok since I don't have brick protection with bootmii not working.

I have wanikoko's v10 installed..isn't that ios36 already?

15. nabster92

United States
    cIOS36 rev10 just means its a revision of an IOS based off of IOS36 that's actually installed to IOS249. It has nothing to do with the actual IOS36 on your Wii. I'm not exactly sure about having to do that, but someone in your other thread suggested having to downgrade IOS36 which seems logical with that error.