Official Nintendo System Updates... what if?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by EvoTroy, Apr 2, 2007.

Apr 2, 2007
  1. EvoTroy
    OP

Newcomer EvoTroy Member

United States
    I rented SSX Blur today because I just got my Wii and haven't modded it yet. Unexpectedly, it did a system update. Is it possible for Nintendo to render mod chips useless with updates like this?

2. yamdankee

Newcomer yamdankee Member

United States
    Maybe but I doubt it since the WiiKey and new chips are DVD upgradeable, "futureproof".

3. Ben_j

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Why do people post without searching ? There are maybe like 50 topics asking that...

4. kristijan08

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    the answer is not by their updates, the only way they could do it was to put firmware on an official game that would flash the wiikey, but thats pretty unlikely

i wouldnt worry

5. EvoTroy
    OP

Newcomer EvoTroy Member

United States
    To be honest with you, I read through 5 or 6 pages and didn't see anything refering to this question. No, I did not use the search function... but you don't have to be rude about it.

6. arthurkok2

Member arthurkok2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    y did you NOT use the search function...? there are numerous post with the SAME question....

7. moshii

Member moshii GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    once again, same question, same stupid answers.

Nintendo have the upperhand. If the want to they can combat piracy, game developers can also block chips.
    The modchip companies aren't going to tell you their chip could be worthless very soon are they, and most of the people that come out with "No it's impossible for Nintendo do to anything with their own hardware" have as much CS background as a sandwich.

8. WunSick

Newcomer WunSick Advanced Member

United States
    They could theoreticly change something on the wii, that the dvd drive is suppose to send to the wii. As you might know, all these chips do is patch the datapath. Suppose they could add/change some things but not exactly sure what parts of the dvd drive/functions are stored on the wii itself.