"$599 US dollars."

2. Rail Fighter

Rail Fighter GBAtemp Fan

Angola
    "Giant enemy crab."

3. godreborn

godreborn Retired

United States
    lol...the massive damage comment is the best. I remember someone on here saying, "attack its weak point for massive damage" when psn got hacked. that made me burst out laughing.

Last edited by godreborn, Sep 7, 2020
  4. Loko4

Loko4 GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    It is expensive, howeve in brazil on grey market they were selling switch for R$3.500-4000, so with a 3000 oficiall seller they will need to drop the price. The same goes to joycon and pro controller, Nintendo is selling for R$500, and grey markert, mainly mercado livre (like ebay) it was been solding for R$800

Moon164 likes this.
  5. godreborn

godreborn Retired

United States
    I think they might have giant enemy crabs in xenoblade 2. they're called krabbles if I'm not mistaken. it's been over a year since I played the game.

Rail Fighter likes this.
  6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Malwarebytes Bootable Developer
    Developer

United States
    That should at least throw a copy of 3D All stars in the box, to lessen the blow of financial wallet rape.

7. Moon164

Moon164 GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    If you consider that there were people selling the Nintendo Switch between R$ 3500 to R$ 5000 around here, I really didn't think that price was that bad.
    [​IMG]

There are even stores selling for R$ 2850 now
    [​IMG]

I know it's still not the ideal price (especially considering that most Brazilians don't earn that much) and it's still much more expensive than the Playstation 4 and Xbox One here, but compared to the price they're charging in the ''Gray Market'', the situation is much better with this R$ 3000.

I just wonder how much Nintendo intends to invest here, both Sony and Microsoft launch games with subtitles and dubbing in Brazilian Portuguese here (and cost a lot less, and I’m not just referring to the console but the games as well.), on the Switch on the other hand we don't have a real eShop making it impossible to access the application straight from the console, we also don't have physical games around here and we don't even have the Brazilian Portuguese language on the console, only from Portugal.

I wonder if that will change.

It's ironic to see you making fun of the fact that we still have old Sega products like the Sega Genesis and Master System marketed here when the whole world just received a Game & Watch with the same 1985 Super Mario Bros.

Also, you can say anything you want, but the feeling of being able to open a box from a 90's console is pretty cool, I don't remember the last time I could smell a brand new Sega Genesis cartridge.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let's face it, it's really cool to be able to get these products in good condition and new, I like to think that consoles like Sega Genesis and Master System will never die here and that children of the new generation will still be able to grow up with games like Sonic, Shinobi, Alex Kidd, WonderBoy and others, it's pretty cool to imagine that mine son will be able to play the same games that I played and have the same feeling that I had.

Last edited by Moon164, Sep 7, 2020
    Rahkeesh, matpower and MarkDarkness like this.
  8. nashismo

nashismo GBAtemp Fan

Chile
    Yeah, well in my country there is no heavy taxation, and yet the price is about $450, and that if you find the Switch on sale. So, it is not taxation, is GREEED

Last edited by nashismo, Sep 7, 2020
  9. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    *Cries in Uruguay*

Attached Files:

Stealphie, MarkDarkness and Chuardo like this.
  10. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    just curious on if importing to brazil a switch is illegal or not cause some refer to it as a grey market

11. MarioSilva

MarioSilva Member
    Newcomer

Brazil
    Nintendo chose the worst possible time to return to Brazil.

12. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

United States
    reading the def on grey market makes me think at any time it could become illegal if the government so sees it, one thing comes to mind will brazil suffer an eshop lockout like china (more for price than content unlike china)

Last edited by chrisrlink, Sep 7, 2020
  13. WaffleRaccoon

WaffleRaccoon Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Me: *brings Switch to Brazil*
    Everybody from Brazil: "Get him!"

Dartz150 likes this.
  14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    There are various shades of illegal and not, and it more or less depends what a government wants to do.

In general the WTO and agreements thereof allow free trade between all members (Brazil has been one for decades, and its previous incarnation even longer still). To that end official vendors/purchases might not be able to sell their stock to Brazil depending upon the trade agreements they have with Nintendo, however any random person can buy all the Switches they want in the US, put them on a plane and sell them over there. For the US the law in question is called the first sale doctrine https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-first-sale-doctrine.html
    Brazil's government then only really has any recourse in import taxes/duties, and if they don't meet local electrical standards (not sure what model Brazil uses offhand -- some places will self certify, others, like the US hence all the "leaks" from FCC testing, have something you send it in and pay to have it tested by a government agency) but I would be shocked if that was the cause -- you tend to only see it with cheap and nasty things from China, not Nvidia/Nintendo flagship products. At the same time Brazil and the US often have a little rivalry of sorts (see why only US citizens got fingerprinted when everybody else can wander on through with a conventional check) so if they decided to do a little trade war then it is a possibility.
    It can also be harder to get a warranty repair/replacement done, though most people in such a scenario either accept their losses or ship it to a friend in the US (or Europe or Australia or Japan if it came from one of those) to have them do it for them.
    At times the US can also embargo countries for weapons (various consoles have been theoretically suited to sticking chips on missiles and what have you, or so the claim goes), though this is usually more middle east and failed states. For the US to embargo Brazil for game consoles would be a radical step in geopolitics, especially ones that are essentially phones. Same for Brazil blockading imports of things.

Grey market is generally a term because it is not official, but at the same time it is not illegal (which would be black market) so we have grey. Nintendo occasionally likes to have a little whine about such things, and Sony have done worse (I do have to remind everybody about the fate of electricbirdland at Sony's hands).
    If Nintendo file a trademark then they can possibly cause some trouble there in terms of words being used (to say nothing of general bigger wallet lawsuit) but not the act of selling in general.

Ryccardo and Dartz150 like this.
  15. Stealphie

Stealphie GBAtemp's Favorite Hat Kid

Brazil
    It's not funny.

CPG, James_, AlexMCS and 5 others like this.
  16. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    Sorry about the huge wall of text

As Brazilian and store owner I can give my personal opinion (but I am no lawyer so I may say something wrong).

Black market: stolen goods, usually sold on our version of flea markets (named "feira do rolo" here)

Gray market: Anyone can buy a flight ticket to US (or cross the land border with Paraguay), fill the bags with switches and iPhones and sell here. By doing that, this person may or may not be stopped on customs, so there is a risky there. Also the products may not be selled on a official store, because this importer has any documents that proof the origin of the said goods. So expose this products on a store window is out of the question, so this become a back door sale (and obviously more doable online).

On a clearer shade of gray, the store do what I said above, but get like 15% of the goods from the official (and expansive) channels. The store mix up the products, and now can advertise about it, give tech support, expose in store windows etc.

More clearer shade of gray, the customer buy online overseas, and pray to not get the product taxed on customs. If this happens, the customer will pay a 60% tax which use the domestic white market prices as reference (and not the price that comes written on the parcel papers). So it is veeery expansive.

Now the white market, the store do the importation by the book, and end up with absurdly high prices. Big retail stores do that, and here the prices are now half they were, so it will generate a price pressure on the various shades of gray markets, which is amazing for the customers.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

RN there are no banned or embargoed goods on US-BR trades. Even weapons are allowed. There are punctual exceptions that apply to goods from every country including USA, as far as I can remember they are used goods, seeds and drugs that were not approved by anvisa (our version of FDA).

Video games are allowed, but subjected to fees and taxes like every other good

Ryccardo and Azerus_Kun like this.
  17. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    so jealous, here i cant even import a cheap airsoft

18. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    I'll go out of topic here but let me rephrase: imported weapons are allowed, as long as you do the same process you need to do in order to buy a weapon domestically. It is not an easy process.

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  19. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Maniac

Indonesia
    Wow that's a daylight robbery. In Indonesia it's around $299 for a new switch

20. Teletron1

Teletron1 Space Tech Engineer

United States
    [​IMG]
    Announcing a new title set 100 years before The Legend of #Zelda: Breath of the Wild, presented by the developers from Nintendo and KOEI Tecmo Games.

Launching in November 20
    https://www.zelda.com/hyrule-warriors/

Watch now:

Last edited by Teletron1, Sep 8, 2020

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - announced, Official, Nintendo