Official GBAtemp iTouchDS Review

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Joined
Dec 22, 2002
Messages
8,201
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Australia
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
1,119
Country
Australia
mascot.gif
Official GBAtemp iTouchDS Review
A budget card from the M3 Team


The Official GBAtemp Review of the iTouchDS is now up!

The DS flashcard market is already crowded with a lot of different choices for the average buyer. Do you go with an R4 or a CycloDS or perhaps a DSTT? Our forums have been plagued with questions from people who can’t make up their minds. Now, yet another card wants a slice of a rather enormous pie. This new card from the M3 Team allows you to create 'favourite' shortcuts and includes an array of features including slow motion and cheat support.

Many thanks to OZmodchips for supplying the review sample for this review!



icon11.gif
 Read the review
icon11.gif
Discuss the review
 

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Joined
Jul 11, 2006
Messages
6,881
Trophies
0
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
1,137
Country
United States
grog.gif


Finally! Hehe, looks nice from what I've skimmed.

I personally don't like the iTouchDS. Its a large cart, for an NDS flashcart and its GUI is dodgy...just doesn't compare very good up to other flashcarts (especially the SuperCard DS One
yaynds.gif
)
 

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Messages
4,790
Trophies
0
XP
451
Country
Good solid review Opium!

I heard that newer iTouch and M3Real cards have a revised PCB (with what looks like no sticking out chip?). Theres a topic somewhere in the M3 forum about it. (of course your review is based on your own sample)

Any reason for no award/rating? or is it yet to be decided?

Also it's great how you noted the alternate OS possibilities, considering they are quite recent developments i wasn't sure if they would have been included. And i think you treated them the right way appropriate to the review
smile.gif
 

nephdj

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Messages
442
Trophies
0
XP
77
Country
What about price as a pro? I mean its $22.13 US on dealxtreme... amazing for a card with these features
 

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Joined
Dec 22, 2002
Messages
8,201
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Australia
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
1,119
Country
Australia
OSW said:
Good solid review Opium!

I heard that newer iTouch and M3Real cards have a revised PCB (with what looks like no sticking out chip?). Theres a topic somewhere in the M3 forum about it. (of course your review is based on your own sample)

Any reason for no award/rating? or is it yet to be decided?

Also it's great how you noted the alternate OS possibilities, considering they are quite recent developments i wasn't sure if they would have been included. And i think you treated them the right way appropriate to the review
smile.gif

I hadn't heard about the PCB revisions. Good for new users I guess. The current chip poking out thing isn't so bad with my sample, it's more the general overall build quality i'm more worried about.

There is no award because it didn't receive one. Our new score system goes Gold/Silver/Bronze/No Award.
 

Doggy124

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
831
Trophies
0
Age
29
Location
Thailand
Website
Visit site
XP
187
Country
Thailand
QUOTE said:
language.jpg

Languages
Once loaded you can swap the language between nine others: English, Italian, Dutch, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese and what I believe to be Thai and Korean
Confirmed, the bottom right is Thai

It's nice to see they put my language in to the FW
grog.gif


wait....or should I be sad because my country is famous for piracy
blink.gif
 

T-hug

Always like this.
Former Staff
Joined
Oct 24, 2002
Messages
10,579
Trophies
0
Location
England
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP
14,943
Great review m8, as always.
I've had a chance to play with these cards myself and personally I would have given it a bronze award at the very least.
To not give it an award groups it with the worst cards out there, and it certainly isn't a bad card at all.
 

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
1,171
Trophies
0
Age
31
Location
1st dimension, Earth
Website
Visit site
XP
259
Country
United States
Hooray a new review!

Thanks so much Opium for it, I'm sure it took a bit of time and a lot of effort so, just wanted to buzz in and say "Thanks" for all the time and effort that you and all the other mods put into this place, I hope all of you still find time for real life.

It was great and informative as always, I enjoyed it, even though I'll be sticking with my DSTT for a nice long while if I can help it
smile.gif
.
 

OzModChips

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
570
Trophies
0
Location
Melbourne, Australia
XP
237
Country
The item Opium got was pretty much the first batch they ever created. We had them before their website was even up.

M3 Real does have a new cart shell. Its still got those clips - but its not flimsy....you can't bend it like a normal m3. I'm guessing the new itouch has this too.

I agree, that the gui is annoying. Even just scrolling through games its slowwwww. I only reason why I think this is a killer buy, is the fact that you can run sakura on it. I know you have made it clear that its not part of the review....but.....the Edge DS has a golden award, and thats running a rip of CycloDS Evo
cool.gif


If you can run sakura on it, then its as good as an M3. You can use the triple boot and run all 3 firmwares.
Today we have sold about 30 M3s....and 1 i-touch. With a $25 difference on our site, anyone that can read should have a light bulb go off in their head and realize they can save some money. hint hint.
 

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Joined
Dec 22, 2002
Messages
8,201
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Australia
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
1,119
Country
Australia
Thug4L1f3 said:
Great review m8, as always.
I've had a chance to play with these cards myself and personally I would have given it a bronze award at the very least.
To not give it an award groups it with the worst cards out there, and it certainly isn't a bad card at all.

Well it does have a few cool things like the favourites menu and slow motion. But as a budget card that is competing against the DSTT (at the same price) I really can't recommend the iTouchDS. The DSTT is a much more solid, intuitive and functional card even without favourites or slow motion. I'm sure a lot of people will buy an iTouchDS as a substitute for a cheap M3Real or Sakura card though.

*edit* As OzModChips said, people will want this card for the alternate firmwares.

That wasn't included in the score and assessment of the card however simply because I wouldn't be reviewing the iTouchDS anymore, I'd be reviewing the M3Real and M3 Sakura.
 

OzModChips

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
570
Trophies
0
Location
Melbourne, Australia
XP
237
Country
One thing is does have on the DSTT is the fact that it is made by M3.
They keep a close eye on the factory that make the products for them. The DSTT can be made in a number of places.
I've talked to people that stock them, and DOA stock can be as high as 50~75% on some batches. Some a perfect, some are all dead.

At least it is DOA though, which cen be tested! AceKard 2 is a timebomb....they always die after 2 weeks, so there is no way of knowing is the batch you got it crap.
 

OzModChips

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2007
Messages
570
Trophies
0
Location
Melbourne, Australia
XP
237
Country
Opium said:
That wasn't included in the score and assessment of the card however simply because I wouldn't be reviewing the iTouchDS anymore, I'd be reviewing the M3Real and M3 Sakura.

Do you want an M3 Real then
smile.gif
I can have one to you by Tuesday morning. I think the card deserves a re-review a couple of weeks after English sakura is out
smile.gif
 

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Joined
Oct 30, 2006
Messages
4,790
Trophies
0
XP
451
Country
Opium said:
I hadn't heard about the PCB revisions. Good for new users I guess. The current chip poking out thing isn't so bad with my sample, it's more the general overall build quality i'm more worried about.

There is no award because it didn't receive one. Our new score system goes Gold/Silver/Bronze/No Award.

IMO the g6/m3 Real build quality wasn't too shabby (and they have the same casing as itouch).

ah k, the rating makes sense now. i didn't realize that was what the no-award meant.

thanks
smile.gif
 

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Joined
Dec 22, 2002
Messages
8,201
Trophies
0
Age
33
Location
Australia
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
1,119
Country
Australia
OzModChips said:
Opium said:
That wasn't included in the score and assessment of the card however simply because I wouldn't be reviewing the iTouchDS anymore, I'd be reviewing the M3Real and M3 Sakura.

Do you want an M3 Real then
smile.gif
I can have one to you by Tuesday morning. I think the card deserves a re-review a couple of weeks after English sakura is out
smile.gif

Haha, no I'll have to decline I think. I've got a lot of things planned for the next month, I just finished my semester of Uni so I'm off on holidays
smile.gif
 

Urza

hi
Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
6,493
Trophies
0
XP
672
Country
United States
Opium said:
Thug4L1f3 said:
Great review m8, as always.
I've had a chance to play with these cards myself and personally I would have given it a bronze award at the very least.
To not give it an award groups it with the worst cards out there, and it certainly isn't a bad card at all.

Well it does have a few cool things like the favourites menu and slow motion. But as a budget card that is competing against the DSTT (at the same price) I really can't recommend the iTouchDS. The DSTT is a much more solid, intuitive and functional card even without favourites or slow motion. I'm sure a lot of people will buy an iTouchDS as a substitute for a cheap M3Real or Sakura card though.

*edit* As OzModChips said, people will want this card for the alternate firmwares.

That wasn't included in the score and assessment of the card however simply because I wouldn't be reviewing the iTouchDS anymore, I'd be reviewing the M3Real and M3 Sakura.
Almost all the slot-1 flashcarts are at the same (or similar) price point as the iTouchDS.

As far as the DSTT is concerned, that would be one of my last choices. acekard 2 completely dominates it in every respect.
 

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    tell your kids that if they earn enough, they can buy favours from you
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Anyone think old expressions should be updated? "Going to hell in a fanny pack". And when's the last time you bought a "hotcake"?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The exchange rate for Vehollars is two Bison dollars to one Vehollar.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    V3 will buy you a hotcake.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I'll be your hotcake~
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Think the ink dried out I hate companies that refuse to know that emails exists
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Let's have cooperate emails but refuse any contact with civilian scum make them pay postage to email us shit:teach:
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    but Ken, you ought to print out your complaint and mail it to them
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    it's why you bought their printer, they want you to use it
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    STOP WASTING PRECIOUS E-MAIL SPACE!!!
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    angryface
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    I'll scan my balls and print that to them
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Have free added hair particles
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Having to dispute a charge on my credit card took them a month and a half just to mail me a letter on what to do
  • M @ maxiking913:
    new design is nice but the forums are now way more ocmplicated
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    How is dragging a mouse around complicated
  • sailr @ sailr:
    wow
  • sailr @ sailr:
    Interesting coincidence
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Well their is a huge part of history where people like to spread their butts for anything or anyone
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't see the coincidence/significance of those pictures.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Explain pls.
  • sailr @ sailr:
    To learn meme about history
    sailr @ sailr: To learn meme about history