Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP

G6 Lite Review

Official GBAtemp review of the G6 Lite by Qrayzie

Qrayzie has just posted the official GBAtemp review of the G6 Lite! Although written within a short period of time, this lengthy review is the answer to all your questions about the G6 Lite. Thanks for your work, Qrayzie!
Qrayzie said:
This review covers the G6 Lite as a gaming flash kit. It doesn’t touch on the PDA or multimedia functions of the device. If people are interested I will write up a part two, but for now I feel it prudent to get the gaming information out as fast as possible so that people can begin making informed choices.
As with all NDS flash kits currently on the market, to use the G6 Lite in NDS mode you must have a compatible PassMe/NoPass device, or your NDS must be flashed with the "FlashMe" BIOS. It is assumed throughout this review that you have the necessary equipment/modification to use this kit outside of GBA mode. All roms used in this review are "NoIntro" versions, except for the NDS roms, which follow the "PocketHeaven" list.
  • icon11.gif
    ÂRead the review
    Edit: this is only the first part of the review. Part 2 will be posted later and will cover the GBA/DS side software.

XeNoGeaR

Trophies
Website
www.topgames.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
nice review dude..i almost want to buy this one cause of the fast read speeds....damn.....

the only shit thing what is holding me back is the only 4gbit
frown.gif
think im waiting for m3 pro micro sd.

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great review
smile.gif

But I have one question regarding this:

QUOTE said:
...and major projects such as ScummVM and most emulators work successfully.

Can you run ScummVM games that are bigger than 32MB? I thought ScummVM DS cannot access the G6's file system?
unsure.gif

D

Deleted User

good job qrayzie!! thanks for spending so much time explaining it all that detailed!
smile.gif

and btw: i love the gilmore girls
happy.gif

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
9/10 review and it don't even play MK or AC. But let me guess.. it adds hours to the battery time 'roll eyes'

It does. 100% compatibility. It's not the reviewers problem that some users can't get the games to work on their hardware. My old G6 is running the same firmware as the G6 Lite and it plays Mario Kart just fine.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Great reviewÂ
smile.gif

QUOTE said:

Can you run ScummVM games that are bigger than 32MB? I thought ScummVM DS cannot access the G6's file system?
unsure.gif

Yes and you generate a ds.gba file containing all the files from the game. So you don't need file read support.

Gj on the review qrayzie. Im just glad that I managed to mention the automatic save system in time, or it might have been a 8/10 in the end
laugh.gif

SpaceJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great review 
smile.gif

QUOTE said:

unsure.gif

Yes and you generate a ds.gba file containing all the files from the game. So you don't need file read support.

Ah, so there's no 32MB limitation for the generated .ds.gba files. That explains. But then apps like Picodrive and DSOrganize will not work cause those directly access the card.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah, so there's no 32MB limitation for the generated .ds.gba files. That explains. But then apps like Picodrive and DSOrganize will not work cause those directly access the card.

Well, it has FAT file read support. But it's a little different from the one used in picodrive and dsorganize so yea, those won't work atm. But it shouldn't be long before the homebrew makers implent G6 FAT support (hopefully
wink.gif
)

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great reviewÂ
smile.gif

QUOTE said:

unsure.gif

Correct, it cannot yet access the G6 Lite's file system, but you simply build a .ds.gba file containing all of the required files and it reads that instead.
smile.gif
Hopefully in the future the G6 file system will be supported, but at least it works just fine already!

9/10 review and it don't even play MK or AC. But let me guess.. it adds hours to the battery time 'roll eyes'

Click here. They work just fine, no need to be sarcastic.
smile.gif

QUOTE(beedog19 @ Jul 6 2006, 06:23 AM)
Qrayzie you Gilmore Girls watching son of a bitch. Thanks to you and your little review I'm now out $120 and hoping that hopebuy is reliable. I hope you're happy. :'(

yaynds.gif

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Very nice review. You concentrated a lot on the Windows software. Any comments on the GBA/DS side of the software? (Maybe this could be in a Part 2).

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am currently writing up a part 2, I just didn't want everyone to have to wait forever, considering when I review something it's generally a novel.
tongue.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To use GBC roms (ones that are GBC only) you need Goomba Colour just like any other flash cart.

GBC games used a different voltage than GBA games, and are not natively playable on any GBA flash cart - other than way back with the GB Bridge peripheral that only works with a scant few early GBA kits.

MunkeeMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I need a little clarification. I've read that the save system was a little messed up, and then I read that it was fixed in a new software release.

Now with the G6 Lite, you can save your game from say Mario Kart, then go back to the G6 menu, and start up say New Super Mario Brothers, and play and save that without playing around with the G6 save slots right? No need to change to a different save slot?

Is this true no matter how many games you save and play in a row?

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I liked the cameo the original cast did
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, I heard a member of the original cast died
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Rest of the plot was just average
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Egon was the best character
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My favorite was the Key master in the first one, "Ok, who brought the dog?" - Rick Moranis
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Was way better than that ghostbusters: frozen in women power one
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was kind of a passing the torch idea which I didn't hate finally
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The old Ghostbuster video game was pretty good also, newer one is just ok.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta be more specific nes one was garbage 360 was decent
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea 360/ps3 one I meant, I don't remember the Nes one tbh
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I never played that one.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, me neither
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 gotta be more specific, there were 2 on the NES and one of them was pretty decent
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well it's probably the one youtube link I posted
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    deleted my newgrounds account
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc of shame
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You have shame?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, made a new one
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, who would win
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Every character from HH/HB (hazbin hotel/helluva boss) VS Dante (devil may cry), Doom Guy (doom) and V1(ultrakill)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fairly odd parents
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Fairly odd parents