Homebrew RELEASE "Official" Flycast for RetroArch on Horizon thread

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
launching from album gives you "applet" mode with barely any memory. Retroarch will crash trying to run heavier systems that way. Applet mode is there for running homebrew utilities while another game is open, its not recommended for playing homebrew games.

franklinyyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're just reading outdated information - no need to use Album or install NSP forwarders, in fact - that's not a good way to do it. Just hold R when opening any game on the Switch menu. That's it, that's all you need to do.

Regarding Flcast settings, just be sure to disable DSP emulation because it has quite a large performance hit. Everything else can be tweaked however you want.
Thanks for the info.
launching from album gives you "applet" mode with barely any memory. Retroarch will crash trying to run heavier systems that way. Applet mode is there for running homebrew utilities while another game is open, its not recommended for playing homebrew games.

I understood this - The only way I can get Retroarch and any of the games within to show up in the main Switch menu is by creating NSP forwarders.
Therefore, if there's a way to natively see the applications and games and launch them from the main Switch menu. I'd like to learn how. It seems my setup is fundamentally incorrect.

Thank you!

franklinyyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the info.

I understood this - The only way I can get Retroarch and any of the games within to show up in the main Switch menu is by creating NSP forwarders.
Therefore, if there's a way to natively see the applications and games and launch them from the main Switch menu. I'd like to learn how. It seems my setup is fundamentally incorrect.

Thank you!
I totally misunderstood what people everyone suggested - holding R while opening any games did open the homebrew menu for me. Thanks everyone!

Hoping someone can share with me their settings to make the following games work:
1. SF3 Double Impact - very choppy game play
2. SF3 3rd Strike - not choppy but widescreen doesn't work properly. Screen is filled but large inside black borders on the sides

komabear

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I'm stuck in Skies of Arcadia - for some reason this next part crashes the game every time I try to access it. Here's the save for it: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1YPTjh48CnFZDpWlcoWQj4T2sarMkMy5e&export=download

To reproduce, just exit the area (using the big tunnel) and fly your ship north until you see an island with a big tree. Getting close to it starts a cutscene, and after that cutscene the game crashes.

pinbi7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I totally misunderstood what people everyone suggested - holding R while opening any games did open the homebrew menu for me. Thanks everyone!

Hoping someone can share with me their settings to make the following games work:
1. SF3 Double Impact - very choppy game play
2. SF3 3rd Strike - not choppy but widescreen doesn't work properly. Screen is filled but large inside black borders on the sides

if you want to play SF3 try the arcade version on mame

Cortexfou

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello. I have just tested the core with the latest SX OS which is compatible with flycast now with shenmue and sonic adventure 2 but I have problems. The saves are not saved and impossible to change games (when you start like sonic, quit and run shenmue, it launches sonic again instead) I just wanted to know: is this a specific SX problem or am I doing something wrong ?

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello. I have just tested the core with the latest SX OS which is compatible with flycast now with shenmue and sonic adventure 2 but I have problems. The saves are not saved and impossible to change games (when you start like sonic, quit and run shenmue, it launches sonic again instead) I just wanted to know: is this a specific SX problem or am I doing something wrong ?

You have to eject the disc before loading a new rom

Reactions: Cortexfou

Cortexfou

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks. Can you give me some advises to run sonic adventure 2 and Shenmue I&II the best possible ? What I need to change in the options ?

Keriam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good news ! It works now on SxOS : i tested Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive 2, it works perfectly ! I also tried Marvel Vs Capcom 2 but game crash at startup (not sure if this is the same on Atmosphere)

I used before reicast and it seems the image was a few better : less aliasing, how to change this option in RetroArch or Core options ?

2 others questions : how to show the FPS in retroarch ? how to set games on wide screen (i know some part of image will be cropped) ?

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Good news ! It works now on SxOS : i tested Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive 2, it works perfectly ! I also tried Marvel Vs Capcom 2 but game crash at startup (not sure if this is the same on Atmosphere)

I used before reicast and it seems the image was a few better : less aliasing, how to change this option in RetroArch or Core options ?

2 others questions : how to show the FPS in retroarch ? how to set games on wide screen (i know some part of image will be cropped) ?

Suuuuuper late reply but in Settings > Video > Bilinear Filtering

Makes sure it's off. Is on by default I think?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh the very first standalone port rendered at native Switch resolution, that's likely more the issue as flycast defaults to DC original 480p. Quick menu->options will let you set the rendering resolution.

Zukov

Dinosaur
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Can't get to run Skies of Arcadia. Retroarch corrupts at the begging of the cutscene to the second fight of the game.
Any imputs?
I'm on latest atmosphere, runnning nighlies and stable Flycast cores, and opening homebrew menu thru the game swaping method.

@komabear did you being able to pass this cutscene? Is just 8 minutes ingame.

Last edited by Zukov,

komabear

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Can't get to run Skies of Arcadia. Retroarch corrupts at the begging of the cutscene to the second fight of the game.
Any imputs?
I'm on latest atmosphere, runnning nighlies and stable Flycast cores, and opening homebrew menu thru the game swaping method.

@komabear did you being able to pass this cutscene? Is just 8 minutes ingame.

I'll take a look later, but I had no problems with anything like that in earlier versions of the core... but maybe something broke after a core update..

Reactions: Zukov

MasterYous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

1. On atmosphère MvC2 does not crash
2. Settings > Onscreen Display > Onscreen Notifications > Display Framerate
3. Settings > Video > Scaling > Aspect Ratio
you can set these on a per core basis or globally
Note that MvC2 has a very choppy framerate s you will note from above posts. It has been slowly improving but you’re going to get 15 FPS if there’s enough action on the screen :/

MasterYous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Suuuuuper late reply but in Settings > Video > Bilinear Filtering

Makes sure it's off. Is on by default I think?
This option has minimal impact on flycast performance. Turning it off will not buy you much and will noticeably impact quality of graphics. It’s not worth it IMO.

For those interested in 16:9 play try the widescreen hack. It’s a great option.

komabear

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Just wondering, where do I check for updates on this? Is it stillbeing developed? I know I can update the core from Retroarch, but I was wondering if there's a changelog or anything that I can keep checking..

GameMasterFlex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any tips on how to get MvC2 running full speed on retroarch yet? My fps get choppy sometimes during the menu selection and some fighting actions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.