Homebrew RELEASE "Official" Flycast for RetroArch on Horizon thread

MasterYous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dunno, last time I tried it still sucked :shrug:
I just grabbed today’s nightly from the updater and indeed the latest builds are working again. thanks for that ofc!

MvC2 is better, but when large sprites (like Zangief or Hulk) are on the screen together the game slows down to less than 30 FPS. Still it used to be like 14 so it’s better. With smaller chars like Wolverine or Ryu it fluctuates between 40-50 FPS and is somewhat playable.

I’m testing with recommendations from this thread including sys_clk settings for GPU and memory. I overclocked using RA to1571. I’m going to try max overclock for a short burst to see if it adds any juice.

I bet these games get there as more work is done to the core. You can see it getting closer. :)

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

MasterYous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm so today I tried Street Fighter Alpha 3. On the Switch this one is a full smooth 60 FPS and runs every bit as well as it ever did on the DC. That’s great, because SFA3 is one of the best pure 2D fighters out there. So not so sure what’s so different about MvC2 ;)

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm so today I tried Street Fighter Alpha 3. On the Switch this one is a full smooth 60 FPS and runs every bit as well as it ever did on the DC. That’s great, because SFA3 is one of the best pure 2D fighters out there. So not so sure what’s so different about MvC2 ;)

Let's just say that MVC2 and some other games has a fix that's in the works in some capacity. I haven't heard of any recent progress being made on that front in regards to the core for HorizonArch. I imagine @sj33 or @Billy Acuña might have heard something new on that front. I also think the RetroArch team is still recovering from that one server hack from a month or two ago.

Reactions: MasterYous

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The GPU pallet textures fix was implemented a while ago, but didn't improve things quite as much as hoped. Still slightly better than before though.

franklinyyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Edit - I enabled both widescreen options for Street Fighter III - 3rd strike but the sides of the screen are problematic. Will upload a screenshot when I get a chance to.
Any tips on getting the widescreen to work properly?

Last edited by franklinyyz,

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit - I enabled both widescreen options for Street Fighter III - 3rd strike but the sides of the screen are problematic. Will upload a screenshot when I get a chance to.
Any tips on getting the widescreen to work properly?

For 3rd Strike? No. 2nd Impact? It'll be in the options menu if it's in the console version of the game.

Last edited by Silent_Gunner,

franklinyyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For 3rd Strike? No. 2nd Impact? It'll be in the options menu if it's in the console version of the game.
Thanks! That's a straight forward answer!

I just tried 2nd Impact and it was pretty choppy.

I then tried Marvel vs Capcom 2 and Capcom vs SNK 2, both run in widescreen through the widescreen cheat beautifully!

As for optimal settings within Quick Settings to allow these games to run smoothly and pretty, could you share?

Thank you so much!

franklinyyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A separate question - I was getting an Atmosphere 2169-00002 error when launching Retroarch from Album launcher. In another thread, someone recommended that I should use the forwarder NSP for Retroarch while holding onto the R trigger. That worked beautifully.

Any reason why this was not included in the installation instructions? Or am I doing something wrong?

Also, with this method to launch Retroarch, when quitting the program, I seem to run into either 1) it returns to Retroarch; 2) the error above returns. Anything I should try to fix this?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You don't need an NSP forwarder - in fact, we recommend against them. They can cause issues with incorrect privileges, and they also get your machine banned. It also causes the issues when quitting that you mention.

Instead, you can hold R when opening literally any game and it will open the Homebrew Menu with full previleges. This is the recommended way to run all homebrew.

franklinyyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't need an NSP forwarder - in fact, we recommend against them. They can cause issues with incorrect privileges, and they also get your machine banned. It also causes the issues when quitting that you mention.

Instead, you can hold R when opening literally any game and it will open the Homebrew Menu with full previleges. This is the recommended way to run all homebrew.
Thanks for the advice!
I went into Album, launched Retroarch while holding R. Retroarch opened but Atmosphere threw me an error when loading the Flycast core. The forwarder doesn't do this. Weird.

franklinyyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't need to launch Album at all. Just hold R when opening any game on the Switch menu.
I guess that's the part I was lost on: The only way I can get to the Homebrew menu (including Retroarch) is by launching Album. I was under the impression to have any Homebrew apps on the Switch menu is through having an NSP forwarder. Do I have my setup wrong this whole time? Are you referring to this Homebrew Menu Loader, by any chance? https://github.com/switchbrew/nx-hbloader/releases

Also, can anyone share their Flycast optimal settings within Quick Settings to allow these games to run smoothly and pretty? Thank you!

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
You're just reading outdated information - no need to use Album or install NSP forwarders, in fact - that's not a good way to do it. Just hold R when opening any game on the Switch menu. That's it, that's all you need to do.

Regarding Flcast settings, just be sure to disable DSP emulation because it has quite a large performance hit. Everything else can be tweaked however you want.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.