Of Wii Games with Firmware Updates and Such

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Puar, Jun 25, 2007.

Jun 25, 2007
  1. Puar
    OP

Newcomer Puar Member

United States
    I'm looking into buying a Japanese Wii to play some JP games that don't work with current MODs, but am fearful of accidentally bricking it, so I have a few questions for those in the know:

1) Do the firmware updates install themselves automatically without asking you whether or not you want them to be applied?
    2) In the case that it asks or tells you before it installs the updated firmware, if you were to use an English Language game (like NTSC-U Super Paper Mario) on a Japanese Wii, would the message(s) be displayed in English, because the game is in English, or in Japanese because the system is Japanese?
    3) How do you know whether or not a game contains firmware updates and what games are known to currently pack firmware updates?

I'm sure I had more questions, but that's all I can remember for now. (;

2. qusai

Member qusai GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    For question 3, I'm pretty sure it's only the first party games that have the updates (the ones published by nintendo)

3. Puar
    OP

Newcomer Puar Member

United States
    I've been told that Resident Evil 4 contains firmware updates and that's by Capcom.

4. hanman

Member hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

United States
    all of the updates i've installed from the disc have asked if i wanted to install the update before hand. but it won't let you play without updating.

5. johnw

Newcomer johnw Newbie

Romania
    no resident evil 4 pal edition have NOT an update on it

6. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    It doesn't ask you if you want to update. It just states "A update of the Wii will be performed now." with the only choice being Okay. You can remove the disc/turn the Wii of to cancel, though.

And the message would be displayed in Japanese, I guess, cause the US-SPM update appeared in German on my PAL-Wii set to German.

7. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    what if you remove the update with a patch, will the update prompt go away completely?

8. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    it should do, at leasts that the idea with the wiiblocker update thing-a-ma-jig

9. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    The "WiiBrickBlocker" app just replaces the part of the disc where the update is with the same part of a game where no update is on. So yeah, you wouldn't get a prompt.