oDroid U3 (Android)

Pleng

Custom Title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
In my never ending quest for a decent Android machine to put under my TV, I came across the oDROID U3. Looks pretty powerful; 1.7 Quad core Cortex A9 & Mali 400 looks to be about on par (slightly more powerful, even) than my JXD7800B.

Does anybody here have any experience of using the device? There's a lot of scattered information on the forums but no real faq or showcases as far as I can see.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that does look sweet! its sad that that android machine rivals my current desktop :( still a bit more powerful on my desktop but i feel i will be surpassed soon.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Samsung Exynos 4412 Prime, clocked at a slightly higher speed (1.7GHz vs 1.4Ghz CPU, 533Mhz vs 440Mhz GPU) than the non-Prime in the international Galaxy S III but otherwise apparently identical. Same 2GB of RAM, too.

Given that you're paying for just the board itself (which includes, from what I can see, microUSB, mini-HDMI, and a 3.5mm sound jack) it'd probably be more cost-effective to keep your JXD. These tests seem to support the RockChip actually edging out the standard Exynos 4412 in everything but power consumption, but I don't know how much difference the Prime version makes or how accurate these results are. I wouldn't really bother with it unless you really wanted to save space.

EDIT: Now, the ODROID XU3 looks like it would certainly be a step up, but at that price you're getting just the board, case and power supply for as much as or more than you paid for the JXD, probably, and you'd still have to add your own eMMC/SD storage, WiFi, Bluetooth module, etc.

Pleng

Custom Title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Yea I was looking at the XU3 recently, that does look a bit of a beast as far as Android devices go; but then there's a lot of Rockchip RK3288 devices coming just around the corner. Unfortunately my TV box gave up the ghost just a bit too early for me to be able to enjoy a 'next-gen' Android so I've got a Minix X8-H on order for now. Maybe this time next year I'll be looking at getting a second box, and who knows what chipsets will be available by then! :)

Pleng

Custom Title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Thanks for the offer but I've already gone ahead and purchased the Minix.

Don't think I've got anything worth trading either :D

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's cool the Minix machines are great, also I'll be getting a JXD7800B in the mail next week.

Pleng

Custom Title
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Ahh enjoy that. I use mine all the time around the house (though I guess the Minix will probably replace it as my main gaming machine) and it's great for taking on long trips

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.