Oddities you don't think of:

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
in French it's "aluminium" too, with the I.

"(1819) Du latin ălūmĕn (« alun ») car il a été découvert dans l’alun. D’abord nommé alumium par son découvreur l’AnglaisSir Humphry Davy[*], il prit ensuite le nom d’aluminum sur le modèle du mot anglais alumina (« terre d’alun »), puis, pour entrer dans le groupe des métaux en « -ium » (suffixe désignant un métal) comme le sodium et le potassium, il prit le nom d’aluminium."

It translate roughtly to:

from latin "alun", because it was discovered in Alun.
First named alumium by his English discoverer Sir Humphry Davy, it has then be named "aluminum" on the english model of the word "Alumina" (Alun earth)
Then, to enter in the metalic group in "ium" (suffix to designate a metal) like the sodium and potassium, it took the name "Aluminium".

I guess American don't follow the "ium" suffix rule for metalic elements.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
cris92x said:
ProtoKun7 said:
The fact that midnight is called midnight when in fact it's the start of the morning.
First of all, its not the start of the morning its the start of the next day and that starts at 12:01 not midnight. Midnight refers to time based on whether or not you can see the sun not on clock time. That is why it goes morning when dawn, sunrise, morning, midday/noon, afternoon, evening, sunset, dusk, twilight, night, midnight and it repeats, its based on light source.
nope.avi

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
ProtoKun7 said:
cris92x said:
ProtoKun7 said:
The fact that midnight is called midnight when in fact it's the start of the morning.
First of all, its not the start of the morning its the start of the next day and that starts at 12:01 not midnight. Midnight refers to time based on whether or not you can see the sun not on clock time. That is why it goes morning when dawn, sunrise, morning, midday/noon, afternoon, evening, sunset, dusk, twilight, night, midnight and it repeats, its based on light source.
nope.avi
Middle of night. Mid-night. Yes its the start of the morning but its also the middle of the night.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
ProtoKun7 said:
cris92x said:
ProtoKun7 said:
nope.avi
Middle of night. Mid-night. Yes its the start of the morning but its also the middle of the night.
Wouldn't the middle of the night be the time between midnight and evening? Morning isn't night, and the two never meet and never "exist" at the same time, thus midnight is the beginning of the morning or the end of the night, it can't be both.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hmm, this midnight discussion... I consider night being like, from 22:00 to 02:00 approx... and then it's early morning.. and then around 5:00 - 8:00 it's morning (the regular one). etc. But that's my view on it ^^

Something I find odd, is sadly a Swedish thing. Our word for Accessory is "Accessoar", however, it is pronounced "Assessoar" unlike Accessory, which is pronounced "axessory", that double c however, is pronounced like an x in all the other words in Swedish... Like "Accelerera (accelerate)", "Acceptera (accept)" etc.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The games that I buy and love always freeze on my Xbox 360. Every. Single. Last. One.

This may be a more personal gripe, but seriously. Fate or whatever has it out for me.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
another one I think of from time to time:
When doing fractions in math, above the fraction line is "numerator" and below is "denominator".
How come it's not nominator and denominator, or numerator and denumerator
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things