Oddities you don't think of:

dlf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a general thread of strange or unusual things we may experience every day but don't think of:

1. Temperature (Cold -> Hot) compared to how we get water from sinks (turn left for hot, but turn right for cold):

- What I mean is, on a thermometer (horizontal anyway) the temperature goes from left (cold) to right (hold) but when we turn faucets of sinks we turn to the left for hot water and to the right for cold. Or twist the left knob for hot and the right for cold. Strange, eh?
mellow.gif
unsure.gif

What strange things can you all think of?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Why do we have "disgruntled", "unruly" or "disheveled" if there's no such thing as "gruntled," "ruly" or "heveled"?

nathancnc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're driving down the road at 60 miles an hour, and your canoe gets a flat tire, how many pancakes does it take to build a doghouse?

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Danny600kill said:
How American's like to take the U out of words that should obviously have them such as Colour and Honour
It was because of American nationalism after the Revolutionary War. Here's a funny little read about it.
tongue.gif

http://www.colourlovers.com/blog/2007/09/0...spelling-battle

Don't get mad at me, I'm just the reporter!
ph34r.gif
Snailface takes no sides.

I also read somewhere that also had to do with the seperation of the two cultures causing the shift to happen naturally, along with the fact that the first widely adhered to dictionaries for the English language didn't appear until the 19th century.

I could be wrong about that; would anyone else know?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Danny600kill said:
How American's like to take the U out of words that should obviously have them such as Colour and Honour
It's not that we like to, it's that we'd be wrong if we left them in.

Say what you will, but spell-check was made by professionals. I think I'll listen to it rather than an angsty teen on the internet.

Ontopic: Those little bags of peanuts on planes that say "WARNING: May contain nuts".

nathancnc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you masterbate for like 15 mins, and still can't get a hard-on...... and yet your friend right beside you had already blown his load.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nathancnc said:
When you masterbate for like 15 mins, and still can't get a hard-on...... and yet your friend right beside you had already blown his load.

wut

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol