ROM Hack Odd Problem with Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box I need help w

HitBattousai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For starters, I have a DS-X(yes I know it stinks, but since I spent more money than I should have on it when it initially came out I feel a need to "justify" the purchase and it still does what I want, albeit with more hassle than most slot1 cards) so I have to insert a new arm7 patch into basically every game to play them. However, it has worked flawlessly after that...until now where the odd problem comes up.

With the new Professor Layton, I went through the same process, started the game(on a DSPhat btw) and it worked....except for at the very start the DS backlights went out, to the point where you can barely see the game. So I tried a few different donor arm7s/Laytons to no avail, and also tried different programs(DSBuff, arm7fixa) to insert the arm7 file. Same problem. Just for a kick, I tried the unpatched ROM to see what would happen, assuming the game would give me an error off the bat, but it actually worked flawlessly with the exception of being unable to save the game, the backlights stayed on, so the game itself is not seemingly the problem. So my theory is, either a very specific arm7 file is necessary that I just don't have(which is odd because the one I have works with the exception of the backlight issue) or the trimming of the game somehow affects it in this particular case. So, I'm looking for any input in general, but specifically I'd like to know if there's a way to patch the game without trimming it to rule that issue out, or a few different donor suggestions. The arm7s I have tried I believe came from Sim City and Kirby Superstars for reference. Thanks.

chokemaniac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I am getting the same problem. im using an arm7.bin that used to fix all the games for me prior to the Diabolic Box.

Any help would be much appreciated.

chokemaniac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I tried to just repack the ROM without inserting a new arm7.bin - its still working so its not a trimming issue...

I also tried a really old (US) arm7.bin (like it worked when the arm7 protection was stilll new) Yet this fix will leave with just a black screen.

I guess i'll have to buy this game. Sucks that i have to wait one more month until it will be out in Europe.

HitBattousai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the input is appreciated, if that's the problem, some instruction on how to fix the header would be appreciated as well.

chokemaniac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
HitBattousai said:
Just for a kick, I tried the unpatched ROM to see what would happen, assuming the game would give me an error off the bat, but it actually worked flawlessly with the exception of being unable to save the game...

by "flawlessly" he means 'only' the copy protection kicks in but at least you get to see the developer and publisher logos

HitBattousai

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I really did mean it worked except for the inability to save in game in my case. I'm running the latest version of DS-X for reference not that it matters much in the scheme of things.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DV_881 said:
Kiekoes said:
Sorry to be offtopic, but what's a DSX? Do you mean a DSphat?
I believe DSX is an flashcard.
Yep. It's short for DS Xtreme I believe.
It is usually written as DS-X though.

Also has it's own section
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it