Odd modded PS1 for sale, anyone knows what this is?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Leotte, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Leotte
    OP

Leotte Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2018
    Brazil
    I saw this PS1 on sale with a description that looks like this: "PS1 Phat with HDD connector cable"

Apparently its laser is broken but I can't recognize the cable in the pictures, it's a SCPH-9001 NTSC-U model.

Could somebody with more experience with PS1 mods help me figure it out? It's not a serial port mod because this model doesn't have one I guess...

Here are some pics from the console (can't post links, sorry): imgur. com /a/BEmUPS4

Last edited by Leotte, Aug 16, 2018
  2. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Last edited by sarkwalvein, Aug 16, 2018
    Leotte likes this.
  3. iCEQB

iCEQB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    Could be anything, you have to open it up.
    Could be an extension for an external modchip, or a serial mod for debuging ... etc. etc. etc.

4. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    No idea, as far as I know there was never a mod that allowed you to hook up a hard drive. PS-IO should let you play backups from an SD Card but it's expensive and always sold out.

Perhaps if you took it apart and took pictures of where the cable was soldered to the motherboard that might give us a clue?
    Maybe someone's personal project.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Maybe it's meant to be plugged into an Arduino:
    https://assemblergames.com/threads/psnee-a-stealth-modchip-for-all-ps1-models.57907/

5. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    China
    Earth-chan
    maybe its a sata cable? which is pretty modern for the console... but probably ain't it...
    the first picture sucks, can't really see the cable..

funny, how i just found my old phat ps1..
    open it up and post what info you can get, maybe its a cool project to copy and mod the old ps1 i got

Last edited by migles, Aug 16, 2018
  6. smf

smf GBAtemp Addict

Feb 23, 2009
    Well that would be a very good reason to add a serial mod, because it doesn't have a port.

The cable could plug into one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premium-...-Module-5V-3-3V-Output-Adapters-/263777225536

The other option would be that it's a controller cable for hooking up to a home made controller, because creating a cable that plugs into a PS1 controller port is a pain.

Last edited by smf, Aug 16, 2018
  7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    its not a sata cable, could be pretty much anything, maybe it was someone making modchips who had a system with external port for testing chips before soldering them into consoles, or maybe the AV port was broken so they botched up a external hookup

actually, looking at the picture again there is screw holes in the feet, I would guess maybe its some custom controller connector so they could have the console out on display in a shop without someone thinking to steal the controller

8. skygames

skygames Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2010
    Brazil
    Apparently a Mod RGB Sync, used in the arcade monitor, fliperama.

9. Leotte
    OP

Leotte Newbie

Newcomer
    May 9, 2018
    Brazil
    Thank you for the link!

Yeah I think it could be anything really... I might try buying and open it to see what could it be (it's on auction right now for some bucks).

Thank you guys for the answers! I thought it was strange that I couldn't find any mod with this cable in the internet, and apparently no one has seen this too..

10. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    All non-slim PS1s have a serial port, the 900x and slims removed the parallel port (which is more wires than that) :)