odd gba CF player

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by DigitalDeviant, Jun 28, 2011.

Jun 28, 2011

odd gba CF player by DigitalDeviant at 11:30 PM (1,090 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. DigitalDeviant
    OP

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    [​IMG]

its outrageously priced, IMO.

LINK

2. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    That's because it's a lil piece of history [​IMG]

It was one of the first flashcarts for the GBA with the support for removable memory (which also made it cheaper). It was a huge success, and introduced many people to homebrew.

3. DigitalDeviant
    OP

United States
    Do you know how good its gba rom compatibility is?

4. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Its GBA rom compatibility sucks. Because... it doesn't run any roms at all! [​IMG] It was a flashcart made only for homebrew [​IMG]

There's an hacked firmware for it which lets you play DS games, but it works mainly for some of the first DS games dumped (larger sizes don't work, iirc), and most games give you problems.

5. DigitalDeviant
    OP

United States
    thanks for the heads up!

6. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    There's a handful of GBA roms that work. They have to be small enough to load directly to the GBA ram. I have one the first models that I got for free. It's silly to pay more than a few bucks for one of these.

7. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    Kinda off topic: Wow. that seller has SUPER OUTRAGEOUS prices.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iPod-5-GB-M8513L...=item3f0a5d52a8

Really? I mean God, that's ridiculous. They only go for less than 50, man.

Yeah, that thing is not worth your time if you have a GOOD GBA cart already (which I know you do [​IMG]).

8. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    I find that most GBA flash carts, save for the EZ Flash IV, are quite expensive. A few years ago I tried to get a second 256 Mbit EZF Advance and I couldn't find it for less than $120.

9. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    I still have one of these, excellent for playing movies and homebrew on the GBA, came with a NES emulator also. Mine also has the chishm DS hack, meaning it can run DS homebrew if you have a passme or flashme installed.

10. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Yeah, this thing was HUGE in the early DS homebrew days. It was essentially the way to "prove" you were only into DS hacking for the homebrew and not piracy, as you couldn't use commercial roms on it at all (this was hacked once long ago, but very very poorly and it only worked for a few games). You'd use it with a PassMe, WifiMe, FlashMe, NoPass device, etc.

The GBAMP v2 CF was the beginning of DS homebrew programs actually accessing files on the CF card itself. Pretty much all GBA homebrew packaged everything into the *.gba file directly (typically using GBFS for the internal filesystem), and for a long time it was the same with the DS - all game assets were bundled into the *.nds file, which had to be less than 4 MB in size in order to fit into the DS's RAM. Once filesystem access became feasible, the code that did it turned into gba_nds_fat and started supporting more devices like the slot-2 Supercard and M3 products, then it finally became Libfat which is where we are today with the DLDI files and all. This started it all.

On the GBA side, because it couldn't run roms straight off the CF cart (too slow) it was limited to only loading things that could fit into the GBA's 256 KB of RAM, a process known as "multiboot" - there aren't too many GBA homebrew files that work with this, but there are a few. Like spinal_cord said, PocketNES was small enough that they worked in a way to launch smaller .nes games using this multiboot method. Later, Dwedit came out with a specific version that supported a custom compression scheme to allow NES games up to 256 KB.

Interestingly, the SD version of this is essentially useless, unless things have changed and I didn't notice. It was only the CF version that was so highly used in the DS community even well into the slot-1 device era.