Oculus Rift pre-orders now open - $599, April 2016

rift-desktop.jpg

The consumer version of the Oculus Rift is now available for pre-order at $599 (USD).

Units are expected to start shipping in April 2016 and each unit comes with the Oculus Rift headset, a wireless Xbox One controller and two games - Lucky's Tale and EVE: Valkyrie. The much touted Oculus Touch controllers will be sold separately at a later date.

What do you think of the price? Are you jumping into the Oculus Rift or waiting to see what the other companies, such as Sony and HTC have in store with their own versions of VR? Or are you simply not interested? Let us know in the comments below.

:arrow: Source (official site)

rg

Trophies
XP
Country
The Samsung Gear VR is going for a lot cheaper - http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/wearables/gear/SM-R322NZWABTU but I don't really care too much about this trend which will probably die off before you know it.

Remember how popular the Wii was? Then it became a dust collector.

The Wii was very popular and most people I know ended up buying a Wii + Xbox or PS3... If this is 50% as fun as some of the Wii games where to play then it will be a "must buy" very fast.
As for the trend dying off.. I honestly don't think so... we may need to wait a few years for cheaper and more accessible devices.. but if the Game Makers develop for this it will stick.

It is however a very high price, but since it's not available in Portugal it does not really matter much..

By the way this reminds me of a great book on this subject.

"Real Player One" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ready_Player_One

cammelspit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too darn expensive. Never going to get any good market penetration if the price is that high. $299 would have still been pushing it but it seems more affordable. VR is just too clunky, expensive and not refined enought to be useful for the masses. I am waiting to see what this tech breakthrough they made with the HTC Vive and steam VR. Besides, there is no unified VR API like there is for 3d rendering in general so unless that happens the general public won't be able to get into it. I am very curious though so I will be watching this closely.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bad starting price point. The creator of Oculus Rift had stated a couple of years ago he hoped to get each unit out at $300. That is a fair price for what you are getting. I understand that the Rift appears to be the best of its kind, but charging double what they intended to get the device out is not a justifiable price point for myself. Give it a couple of years and the price has gone down and I'll consider getting it. I've already used one as it is, and while it is cool, its not an experience I want to have again so bad that I'll pay over half a grand on it. Like I said, get down to that $300 price and we'll talk.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Meh. Expected it to be about this expensive, so I'm not going to complain. Still won't touch one, though, probably. Not until VR is a bit more popular anyways, I'm curious to see what the competition pulls out.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Expected. It was never going to be cheap, at least for now, it's targeting the pc enthusiast market. Recommend specs are an i5, 8GB, 290/970. Based on the hardware surveys from steam, most pc users are well below that, so it's only really targetting a small percentage of pc players.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
699 euro in Europe without shipping and without the promised VR controls. but instead an Xbox one controller wich probably 30 percent or even more already owns. Seems HTC vive is the way to go !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, yea the only game they rereleased are the game boy and games boy color ones...