Oculus Rift pre-orders now open - $599, April 2016

rift-desktop.jpg

The consumer version of the Oculus Rift is now available for pre-order at $599 (USD).

Units are expected to start shipping in April 2016 and each unit comes with the Oculus Rift headset, a wireless Xbox One controller and two games - Lucky's Tale and EVE: Valkyrie. The much touted Oculus Touch controllers will be sold separately at a later date.

What do you think of the price? Are you jumping into the Oculus Rift or waiting to see what the other companies, such as Sony and HTC have in store with their own versions of VR? Or are you simply not interested? Let us know in the comments below.

:arrow: Source (official site)

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why force us to buy a stupid controller and a game with it, thats the dealbreaker for me.
It comes with two games and the controller, but those don't contribute anything to the cost, really. They just upgraded from the DK2 tech in terms of the display. DK2 tech was $350 to make, CV1 is closer to $600. Price will drop as the components become less expensive.

I already have the beast of a PC needed to run this thing, so I pre-ordered. Doesn't ship for me until May, and I can easily save $600 in that time frame.

Look at it this way, it's probably cheaper to buy an Oculus Rift than it is to buy a decent gaming monitor with similar specs.
Well that's not true. Granted it was on sale around Black Friday, but I bought my 2K ultra-widescreen IPS monitor for $350. Still, the Rift and other high-end VR headsets have a whole lot of features that a plain-old flat panel just doesn't. Not least of which include head tracking, accurate depth-of-field, and theater-sized media players.

Last edited by Xzi,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone do a review once they get it? :P One of the things I wonder about is using it as a monitor replacement.
I've only demoed a DK2, but I don't think anyone would recommend a Rift as your main or only monitor. Even with the improved display on the CV1, eye strain is still going to be a concern after consecutive hours of use. If you're strapped for cash and it's either a monitor or the Rift, buy the monitor. Can always buy a VR headset after the price has dropped and there are more competitors available.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yet another expensive gadget I will completely ignore until all the kinks are worked out and cheaper second/third gen units are rolled out. Face it, guys - it's two small displays, a lens, a couple gyros and LED's - it's not *worth* $599. I'll let all the passionate VR nuts pay off the engineering costs and perhaps enter the game once the mark-up is acceptable.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
This , Samsung vr is there just as entry point , just for wow effect .
Most of fake nerds will buy that thing only to show to their casual friends how nerdy they are (ala big bang theory).XD.
But if Samsung decides that vr is a thing for them they can count on that as a good referral marketing for a vr2 more serious .
Is a toy but not to underestimate ... If enough users Samsung will not let them to migrate to oculus ...

You are aware that the Gear VR is oculus driven ? in the sense you cannot with Gear VR use any of the google cardboard apps etc etc , it installs the oculus software and thats all you can use.

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will if oculus rift persuade old retro studio employees to get back and make a new vr metroid for the nx.

nx

nx

nx
Yeah, right. Because Nintendo consoles are so powerful :rofl2:
Maybe if it also has retro graphics. kek

nintendarium

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
You are aware that the Gear VR is oculus driven ? in the sense you cannot with Gear VR use any of the google cardboard apps etc etc , it installs the oculus software and thats all you can use.
That is exactly the point, if Samsung find in 6 months that its very is doing good no way they gonna permit those to upgrade to oculus, they will come out with a vr2 proprietary thing, ask Apple ... ;)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yet another expensive gadget I will completely ignore until all the kinks are worked out and cheaper second/third gen units are rolled out. Face it, guys - it's two small displays, a lens, a couple gyros and LED's - it's not *worth* $599. I'll let all the passionate VR nuts pay off the engineering costs and perhaps enter the game once the mark-up is acceptable.

Do you reckon this time will be the time it sticks? Like 3d before it (which has arguably since failed again) it seems to pop up every decade or two before fizzling out, partially due to engineering issues and partially due to lack of content once the nice demos have lost their lustre.

Anyway I hope this and other stuff drives down the costs somewhere as I would not mind having one as a toy. Can't particularly think of anything serious to do with it but I do like my tech toys.

Reactions: Foxi4

nintendarium

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I am pretty sure amd has the tech to produce a super apu under 100w with 970's power.
This.
And vulkan if well implemented will open mobile hardware and embedded to high graphics performance , people saying " even my phone is more powerful than wiiu" will be regarded with a arm soc

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheaper alternative.

I haven't got a chance to view the latest VR. Have you? Even then, simplifying it like that isn't really fair.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't got a chance to view the latest VR. Have you? Even then, simplifying it like that isn't really fair.

As time goes on then prices approach those of the bill of materials (assuming you have not lucked into a market you can game, which I suppose did happen in laptop screens) while at the same time improving in quality. Had Foxi4 suggested a timeline we might have been able to pick holes but as a general trend it is hard to argue against.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do you reckon this time will be the time it sticks? Like 3d before it (which has arguably since failed again) it seems to pop up every decade or two before fizzling out, partially due to engineering issues and partially due to lack of content once the nice demos have lost their lustre.

Anyway I hope this and other stuff drives down the costs somewhere as I would not mind having one as a toy. Can't particularly think of anything serious to do with it but I do like my tech toys.
I think it will stick with certain audiences, much like motion controls did. I don't think it will revolutionize our approach towards gaming - most people just want to sit on their couch, grab a controller and relax, not necessarily "immerse" themselves, AKA "cut the rest of the world out". It has many exciting uses in the field of robotics or medicine, but in gaming it will remain a niche device for "hardcore" gamers. The same can be said about the rest of the entertainment industry - it's nice to watch a film in iMax Super Duper 3D, but it's not necessary and sometimes even distracting (ever heard of D-Box seats? Sh*t can startle you when you least expect it).
To be honest, I haven't and I couldn't care less - it just doesn't interest me, just like 4K doesn't. I'll go VR/4K when it's dirt cheap, and I've done so before with HD, completely skipping the whole "720p HD-Ready" era, saving a pretty penny on not one but two TV sets I would've bought if I wanted to be on the highly experimental and overpriced "cutting edge". It is absolutely fair to have this kind of approach because early adopters *do* cover development costs in addition to the actual price of a unit and the mark-up. I'm not going to be one of those early adopters because I have no faith in this technology, plus I'm not interested in buying something that currently has no competition on the market because you just know you're getting ripped off in those scenarios. Once the competition releases equivalent hardware, prices will start to drop and that'll be the time to even start considering an investment like this.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As time goes on then prices approach those of the bill of materials (assuming you have not lucked into a market you can game, which I suppose did happen in laptop screens) while at the same time improving in quality. Had Foxi4 suggested a timeline we might have been able to pick holes but as a general trend it is hard to argue against.
Not arguing against the price will go down as quality goes up. I just think he is downplaying the tech, even at this stage, and work that went into these VR headsets just a bit too much.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yeah I am hoping it takes well enough to allow the gaming set to subsidise my engineering and robotics toys like certain game controllers have before it, or that boom for 4K displays that are pointless for most people is doing now for my tasks that actually benefit from such things. On HD the trouble for me was it was a thing that really wasn't -- I had options for similar vertical resolutions for years and years by the point that marketing buzzword was cooked up.

Not arguing against the price will go down as quality goes up. I just think he is downplaying the tech, even at this stage, and work that went into these VR headsets just a bit too much.
When we are seeing all the chancers on crowdfunding sites and me too devices from big companies that do pretty well for the (lack of) effort then I am reluctant to start singing the praises/go much beyond an appreciative nod. OR are one of the leading lights but for something that more or less does what I want then the bar is considerably lower.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh yeah I am hoping it takes well enough to allow the gaming set to subsidise my engineering and robotics toys like certain game controllers have before it, or that boom for 4K displays that are pointless for most people is doing now for my tasks that actually benefit from such things. On HD the trouble for me was it was a thing that really wasn't -- I had options for similar vertical resolutions for years and years by the point that marketing buzzword was cooked up.
Pretty sure that "HD" was cooked up as a name shortly after the digital switch-over as a replacement for PAL and NTSC, it just infected the world of computing by association. As for my reasons for the reluctance to switch, why would I if there was next to no HD content available at the time? Broadcasts were still "SD" and so were all my consoles, so there was literally no content that would benefit from HD anyways, aside from my PC, which I rarely connect to a TV anyways. Fast forward a generation later and the same technology was half-price. The same will happen with VR - a couple of years of sh*tty/no content and outrageous prices for ultimately obsolecent hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1