Oculus Air Link allows you to stream your VR games to your headset wirelessly

maxresdefault (1).jpg

When it comes to the Oculus Quest 2, you can either play your games while wired in to your PC, or you can experience games in a slightly scaled-down form natively on the headset itself, without any wires. This new update, though, lets you play your PC-powered games, wirelessly. Facebook teased the Oculus Air Link, which works similarly to in-home streaming, as you'll be using your computer to run the game, but it'll be streamed directly to the Quest 2 over WiFi. Right now, Air Link is in an experimental form, and will available soon, through the Oculus application.

We know gamers want to use Link without a wire—to experience the full freedom of movement offered by Quest 2 while playing the high-end titles that can only run on a gaming PC. That’s why we’ve been working on a new streaming technology called Oculus Air Link—a completely wireless way to play PC VR content on Quest 2 using WiFi, built on the successful Oculus Link streaming pipeline.

It's recommended that you have a 5Ghz wireless network, in addition to being within around 20 feet of your router, in order to get the best possible quality. This feature will be added in the v28 update for both the Oculus Quest 2's software and the Oculus PC program, which currently has no set release date beyond "soon". A more solid timeframe will likely be revealed in the Oculus Gaming Showcase next week. That same update will also add 120Hz support for the Quest 2 headset, an increase from the current 90Hz, allowing you to play games at a higher refresh rate, when plugged into your PC through Oculus Link.

:arrow: Source

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Quest 2 continues to be the best VR headset which isn't surprising with the weight of Facebook behind it.

The only real competitor at this point will be the PSVR2 which needs to knock it out of the park or be much more affordable, which will be difficult given the Quest 2's already unbeatable value for money.

Does this thing still require a facebook account or can it be hacked right out of the box?
Still required to my knowledge.

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I bought one earlier this year... and its fricking awesome.

Just make a bogus facebook account if you don't have a facebook account already...

I doubt any other VR headset will come close to the price / quality of the Quest 2. I highly recommend it if you want a VR Headset, being able to play anywhere, PLUS also playing the PC VR Games... its like a switch VR headset.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Ottoclav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tried Steam In-home streaming, but I'm considering testing it out with my new Chromecast. (the new one that uses Android TV)
Do you mean I can finally sit in my living room and cast Steam to my Chromecast while my computer sits in my dungeon of a basement? Will this work with any bluetooth controller?

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Do you mean I can finally sit in my living room and cast Steam to my Chromecast while my computer sits in my dungeon of a basement? Will this work with any bluetooth controller?
Well, if your Chromecast didn't come with a remote, then no. But if it's the new one with the remote, (specifically it's called the Chromecast with Google TV) then yes! To pair a controller, either go to settings > bluetooth > pair new device, OR press the button on the Chromecast (DO NOT HOLD, just press it) and make sure that only the controller you want to pair is visible for pairing, since through the backup button pairing it'll automatically pair in 3 seconds when it finds a device to pair, unlike the settings > bluetooth method.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OH! I forgot to mention this. if you're pairing a DualShock 4, (PS4 controller) hold (PS) and [SHARE] until the lightbar starts blinking. It'll then just show up as "Wireless Controller" in the bluetooth menu. The touchpad even works as a mouse when paired with the new chromecast!

Ottoclav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, if your Chromecast didn't come with a remote, then no. But if it's the new one with the remote, (specifically it's called the Chromecast with Google TV) then yes! To pair a controller, either go to settings > bluetooth > pair new device, OR press the button on the Chromecast (DO NOT HOLD, just press it) and make sure that only the controller you want to pair is visible for pairing, since through the backup button pairing it'll automatically pair in 3 seconds when it finds a device to pair, unlike the settings > bluetooth method.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

OH! I forgot to mention this. if you're pairing a DualShock 4, (PS4 controller) hold (PS) and [SHARE] until the lightbar starts blinking. It'll then just show up as "Wireless Controller" in the bluetooth menu. The touchpad even works as a mouse when paired with the new chromecast!
oh, darn, I got the Chromecast that came with the gaming controller. Not suer if that'll work since the controller works over the wifi. Kinda weird really. but I do think bluetooth devices are supposed to link to it, ill dig further into which type I have.

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, this is just giving me another reason to go out and get one. I haven’t yet because I know I’d only use it like twice a month

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm skeptical. I can't get xCloud or steam inhome streaming to work reliably, forget VR where a second of delay would be max barf. Sticking with my CV1 for now.
Can confirm, with Virtual Desktop, an Archer A7 router from TP-Link with OpenWRT installed, connected to my PC with ethernet, on 5GHz Wi-Fi, I get around 40ms latency on VR game streaming. Perfectly playable, maybe a bit disorienting on Beat Saber, but any other game works perfect.
EDIT: With an Oculus Quest 2
Also, the CV1 is great too. Don't switch as long as you feel fine with it.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
Does this thing still require a facebook account or can it be hacked right out of the box?
strangely, Instagram does not require a facebook account, but oculus does.

Just make a dummy if you don't wanna make one or link yours to it ?

It works, but still think it was an anti-consumer move. It is even against law where I live (not that anyone here is enforcing that law for tech companies anyway).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: As He himself even stated.